The Student Room Group

One student taking up all the 1 on 1 slots

We're doing one on ones as there's a couple of pre Christmas deadlines. The lecturer sent around a sheet with 10 minute slots for 1 to 1 sessions. It got to me nearly last because I was near the back but there are like 50 slots and there were only around 30 people in class that day so I figured I'd be fine. The sheet got to me and there were around half a dozen slots left. I scanned the sheet wondering what happened there and basically the entire class only took one slot a couple people took 2, but they were one after the other and some of them had told me they really needed help so I didn't begrudge it.

One girl took over an hour. She was sitting right near the front so she was one of the first people who got the sheet. The slots went over a couple of days and on day one she took about 40 minutes of consecutive slots and on day three around the same. Plus there was a 20 minute part of day 2 where she wrote her name, crossed it out, and wrote in her friend's name (who wasn't even there in the lesson).

Not being funny, but there was about 10 hours of contact time on that sheet to cover every student this lecturer has before out deadline. This one student is taking up nearly an hour and a half of it.

There are other people who need longer than 10 minutes with this lecturer (myself included), but the lecturer took the sheet back, didn't even glance at it, and went to blue tack it on the wall by her office.

Day one of these slots was today. I got the worst slot right in the middle of lunch so I've not had time to eat before going to my lecture straight after. And the lecturer was running 20 minutes late, not because she was late, but because this girl who insisted she needed an hour and a half of the lecturer's time was 10 minutes late and then needed an additional ten minutes on top of her pre scheduled half an hour. This caused my already bad time to be pushed back 20 minutes, making me late for the lecture and making this lecturer have to cut our session short because she had to get back on track somehow.

This is ridiculous. I have half a mind to go find the one on one sheets and cross out her name for Wednesday's sessions. Only thing stopping me is that it would be too obvious.

Is there anything I can do about this? If she was the only one being impacted by her timings I'd leave it alone but this has affected me now, and it's going to affect anyone on day three, as well, since she picked the earliest slots both days. Plus, I needed more than 10 minutes but she took up all the time slots and I got rushed out of there because the lecturer admitted to me that she only realised this student had booked 40 minutes after she arrived.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ask the lecturer for more time. You have a decent argument that the girls taking up too many slots etc.
One person taking up so many slots is just ridiculous. Speak to the lecturer and explain what has happened. She shouldn't be writing down the names of people for slots who weren't even present, either, those who can actually be bothered to turn up to lectures should have priority.
Just send the lecturer a message saying that other students have had huge sessions and you got 7 minutes so could you meet again.
Apart from that student being extremely selfish, it does make me wonder why the lecturer didn't cap how many slots one person can have, to avoid situations like this happening. I would email the lecturer involved, to ensure she understands the situation and ask politely for more time yourself.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Apart from that student being extremely selfish, it does make me wonder why the lecturer didn't cap how many slots one person can have, to avoid situations like this happening. I would email the lecturer involved, to ensure she understands the situation and ask politely for more time yourself.

Exactly. He/she would cap slots and when everyone had signed in for slots, any left over would be available if anyone needed.

Quick Reply

Latest