The Student Room Group

friend attempted suicide

hey, uhm, so last night at 23:30 my friend text me after waking up from passing out, in an attempted suicide, and ive just been devastated since..
i spoke to her to keep her from trying to do it again, and she is "stable" now, but i am still so worried about her, the problem is im 2 years older than her and she doesnt go to my school, i spoke to my college counseler and she suggested that she calls the girls school and makes them aware of it, so that they can keep an eye on her.

about an hour later she text me asking if i was the one that did that. to which i said yes, because like i said, i was worried to ****.
she said she would talk to them but she doesnt want to, she feels as if the adults dont listen to her and think she is mad/crazy

i understand there isnt much i can do, if anything, to help at this point, but any advice???

~c
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
hey, uhm, so last night at 23:30 my friend text me after waking up from passing out, in an attempted suicide, and ive just been devastated since..
i spoke to her to keep her from trying to do it again, and she is "stable" now, but i am still so worried about her, the problem is im 2 years older than her and she doesnt go to my school, i spoke to my college counseler and she suggested that she calls the girls school and makes them aware of it, so that they can keep an eye on her.

about an hour later she text me asking if i was the one that did that. to which i said yes, because like i said, i was worried to ****.
she said she would talk to them but she doesnt want to, she feels as if the adults dont listen to her and think she is mad/crazy

i understand there isnt much i can do, if anything, to help at this point, but any advice???

~c

You don't normally "wake up from an attempted suicide" unharmed, without any medical intervention/people noticing, unless you are just messing around. Are you sure she's not just attention seeking?

~c

Try to get her support from the school, her family and her GP. Try not to judge her or let your feelings overwhelm you when she’s around. You priority should be to help her. By this I mean don’t flip out on her and pass judgement etc.

However, also take care of yourself and make sure you don’t neglect yourself in trying to put on a brave face.

~c

She may need to be in hospital for her own protection. Do her parents know?
Reply 4
Original post by Ciel.
You don't normally "wake up from an attempted suicide" unharmed, without any medical intervention/people noticing, unless you are just messing around. Are you sure she's not just attention seeking?

Good point.
Reply 5
Original post by Ciel.

yeah i get what youre saying, she said she tried choking herself, my first thought was you cant physically choke yourself, you would pass out, but then she said her neck hurts, so i assumed she tied something around her neck, i called her this morning at around 8am, so almost 9 hrs after she first told me, and she couldnt speak properly, she was whispering. it is a possibility but i dont know what she would get out of it
Reply 6
She may need to be in hospital for her own protection. Do her parents know?

im not certain, i havent asked, but she did tell me that her dad called her mad for it. so im not sure, although i had my colleges counselor contact her school, and they are now aware of it
Reply 7

~c

She could be “attention seeking” or this could just be another way of her saying she needs help. You never really know what someone is going through so defiently don’t start thinking she’s only doing it for attention. You did the right thing by telling someone as there’s not much more you can do except be there for your friend and encourage her to get the right help she truly needs.
Even if she was not trying to kill herself, if someone is so desperate for attention that they do things that make others think they have attempted suicide, then it's not a trivial matter. It sounds like you did good in this situation. You did the right thing in telling your school counsellor so that she could act, and you did the right thing by being honest with your friend about what you had done.

Otherwise, I guess there is little you can do beyond continuing to be generally supportive of your friend. Reassure her that no matter how bad they might seem right now, things will change. Keep inviting her to hang out, go shopping or whatever you usually do. Offer to go with her to see a counsellor or GP if you feel comfortable doing that. But it's not your job to sort this whole situation out. Don't collude in doing anything that feels wrong to you, and seek help from a trusted person/adult when you feel things are getting too much.
Reply 9
yeah i get what youre saying, she said she tried choking herself, my first thought was you cant physically choke yourself, you would pass out, but then she said her neck hurts, so i assumed she tied something around her neck, i called her this morning at around 8am, so almost 9 hrs after she first told me, and she couldnt speak properly, she was whispering. it is a possibility but i dont know what she would get out of it

Hmm... Well, either way she's clearly unhappy. The only thing you can do really, is offer emotional support at this stage.
Offer her support and get the school counsellor involved if there is one. Also get her to visit her GP.

~c

why would she message you saying she tried to kms she probably doing it for attention.
see her as a human first, not a suicidal teenage girl
do not judge her
be there when she needs you but don't be there 24/7 otherwise, she'll become dependent on you
you're trying to help her stand on her own two feet
once she does she can fix what's wrong
go on lots of walks around nature with her, get her out the house, don't go to crowded places so much though
create happy memories
give her lots of fresh air
be her shoulder to cry on when she needs someone to talk to
help her stand on her own - only support her, don't become her "wheelchair"
hope this helps xx
just an update for all of you who gave some help, she went to the hospital and nothing serious happened, she just has some bruising around her neck, i still havent asked how she tried to do it, but i assume it was rope, or something of the sort around her neck.
But as things are looking she is going to be fine, and hopefully her school can offer her the support she needs, thanks to all of you for helping me
<3
~c
just an update for all of you who gave some help, she went to the hospital and nothing serious happened, she just has some bruising around her neck, i still havent asked how she tried to do it, but i assume it was rope, or something of the sort around her neck.
But as things are looking she is going to be fine, and hopefully her school can offer her the support she needs, thanks to all of you for helping me
<3
~c

That's good!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending