The Student Room Group

Student bank accounts

Right so I’ve got an unconditional offer which I’ve firmly accepted. In an email from my uni they said to open up a student account. Why do I need one and what stuff should I look for with the account?

Thanks
Original post by JordyJRT
Right so I’ve got an unconditional offer which I’ve firmly accepted. In an email from my uni they said to open up a student account. Why do I need one and what stuff should I look for with the account?

Thanks

You don't need a student-specific account. Any ordinary bank account will do (for the purposes of getting your maintenance loan)

Student bank accounts offer perks not ordinarily available through standard current accounts e.g. a huge 0% overdraft, freebies like a 4-year railcard/coachcard etc. etc.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-bank-account/
App-based banks. They are fast becoming the next big thing and taking over traditional high-street banks. Everything is done from your phone by YOU and not controlled by the third party bank. Fast to open, can get money out at any time (including bank holidays) and anyone can open them. Eg Monzo, Monese, Revolut, N26, Curve etc.

If you do want to sign up, private message me as I have referral codes meaning you'll earn money when you join and I'll also earn money from inviting you.
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m currently in the same position. People told me they’re worthwhile because if you ever get in a sticky situation you know you can go into your overdraft easily and you’re not completely without cash. Just a peace of mind as I’m assuming dealing with your finances and budgetting will be new to most of us. Different banks give freebies like railcards and amazon vouchers too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending