The Student Room Group

Subject Choices

I wish to go on to study Economics (Pure) at Cambridge, LSE, Warwick...

I’ve decided to take A Levels in: Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Gov & Pol, German.

I’m aware 5 subjects is a bit much but I’m a native German speaker so I thought I’d do the A Level just to have an extra facilitating MFL.

I’m considering dropping Further Maths as it seems like an extremely difficult course, as I only got an 8 in my recent mock (GCSE Level).

Why do you guys think?

Also want to do EPQ
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Gopnik

I’ve decided to take A Levels in: Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Gov & Pol, German.

I’m aware 5 subjects is a bit much but I’m a native German speaker so I thought I’d do the A Level just to have an extra facilitating MFL.

I’m considering dropping Further Maths as it seems like an extremely difficult course, got an 8 in my recent mock (GCSE).

Why do you guys think?

Also want to do EPQ

FM isn't 'required' for economics but is viewed favourably, and if you're going down the Oxbridge route it could restrict your college choice. I'd really consider it though. And remember, an 8 is an A* - I'm sure as long as you're dedicated you'll be absoloutely fine!
Original post by Gopnik

I’m considering dropping Further Maths as it seems like an extremely difficult course, as I only got an 8 in my recent mock (GCSE Level).

Why do you guys think?

Also want to do EPQ

Definitely do Further Maths. It will really help you when studying areas of Economics like the Invisible Hand.

Do EPQ as well. You get to miss Tuesday PDT.
I think something like 80% of successful applicants to LSE Economics have FM - @LeapingLucy has some stats I think? It's very common for applicants to Cambridge as well, as their course is (allegedly) more mathematical; likewise Warwick has a very mathematical course. Not taking it would be a disadvantage, both in applications and once you are on the degree itself, particularly given you actually have it available to you (as opposed to only being able to take it via AMSP or similar).

Don't bother with an A-level in your native language. The universities you're looking at won't consider in part of any offers set if it's your native language, it's literally just a waste of exam time. It would be better to drop that and keep FM and spend the additional time focusing on keeping ahead in FM.

Economics and G&P are otherwise relevant and sensible choices if you are confident you can do well in them (which hopefully would be the case for economics). You could swap G&P for something else if you wanted (or even drop it entirely; as far as I know, all of those universities accept Maths/FM/other as a three subject combination, although LSE prefers the third subject to be an essay subject, which economics is) though.
Definitely go for FM... Maths is an integral part of Economics and it will only get harder in uni. It's so important that my Cambridge interviews were predominantly maths.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/economics_without_further_maths

This freedom of information request shows that it's very hard to get into Economics at LSE without Further Maths.

Looking at the 2017 statistics:
- there were 605 applicants with FM A-level, of which 262, or 43%, got an offer
- there were 477 applicants who didn't have FM A-level, of which just 24, or 5%, got an offer

LSE ask you to state in your reference/PS whether or not your school offered FM; if they don't then LSE won't count it against you. I would hazard a guess that the 5% of applicants without FM who get offers fall into this category.

Overall in 2017, people who didn't have FM A-level made up 38% of applicants, but only 7% of offers.

(All percentages given to 0 d.p. - I'm sorry if I've made any errors in my calculations)
Also, for what it's worth, I think if you get an offer from LSE, then it would be A*AAC, so you only have to get a pass in further maths.
Reply 7
Thank you all for your informative replies.

I’ll be sure to take this all into consideration.

I wasn’t aware that all I needed was a C in Further Maths - if I knew that to be the case it’d be a no brainer.

I will perhaps be dropping German in order to focus on my other A-Levels (I’ll probably make it a pretty emphasised point in the Personal Statement when I reach that point) however, I will most like be keeping Politics
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Also, are there any benefits to (now 4) subjects over 3?
Original post by Gopnik
Also, are there any benefits to (now 4) subjects over 3?

Yes, if you’re doing maths and further maths.

Doing two other subjects shows you can do stuff other than just maths! It shows you have range.

Everyone I know on the Econ course at LSE did four A levels including maths and further maths.
Original post by Gopnik
I wasn’t aware that all I needed was a C in Further Maths - if I knew that to be the case it’d be a no brainer.

This is from the LSE webpage for BSc Economics:

‘If you take four or more full A levels, you will be expected to achieve A* A A (with A* in Mathematics), and a pass in the fourth A level.’

Realistically, for your application to be competitive you’d probably need a higher prediction than C in further maths. But if the exams went badly and you ended up getting a C, you’d still meet your offer if you got one.
To be honest, without further maths A level I don’t think you would have much chance at all of getting into LSE, as your school offer it but you would have chosen not to take it.

The LSE course is heavily mathematical - in the first year you actually do just one economics module, and two maths modules (one maths and one stats).

People who did FM find it extremely challenging.
Reply 12
Right, thank you
Original post by Gopnik
Thank you all for your informative replies.

I’ll be sure to take this all into consideration.

I will perhaps be dropping German in order to focus on my other A-Levels (I’ll probably make it a pretty emphasised point in the Personal Statement when I reach that point) however, I will most like be keeping Politics

Well when you have 4 or more alevels lse requires A*AA(A* maths, A Economics if studied)+ pass fourth A-level, which I think is A*(maths) A(Econ) A E
The real tough thing is to get the offer, though, not the conditions. I think many people that are rejected by LSE Bsc Econ should be comfortably reaching the minimum academic requirement

Quick Reply

Latest