The Student Room Group

ICT OCR Cambridge nationals

Hey just wondering who’s doing this course for GCSE’s and ways to revise for it. I think it’s a new course because there isn’t any past papers or textbooks, so in our class we only have our notes to revise from but it’s not doing much for me. Any tips or useful websites/videos/resources?
Original post by GreySkies_22
Hey just wondering who’s doing this course for GCSE’s and ways to revise for it. I think it’s a new course because there isn’t any past papers or textbooks, so in our class we only have our notes to revise from but it’s not doing much for me. Any tips or useful websites/videos/resources?

I am doing that course too and it's very difficult to find resources, I'm revising by focusing on a different learning objective for each week that is remaining until the exam (January 9th). I read the blue textbook and then I use the revision textbooks as a way to condense my notes (if you have both of them). This enabled me to learn the type of questions that they could possibly ask.

As a revision method, I bought flashcards recently and have been using the white revision textbooks to make the flashcards, but instead of writing the whole sentence, I change the words into images. Also, on some flashcards, I only write the important keywords on the flashcards and from that I can recognize the whole sentence. For example, if I wanted to do the advantages of a project life cycle, for the first advantage, I would write on the flashcard: structured, everyone, progressing, task, phase. This translates to: It provides a structured approach for the project, which allows everyone working on the project to see how the project is progressing, There are clearly defined tasks which must be completed within each phase.

I also use the revision guide to write all the possible questions that could come up in that section. So for example: One of the practice questions in the bottom of the page could ask: "Identify and describe 2 outputs of the initiation phase." I go on the hodder education website (opens on Dec 12th) to find the answer to the question and write it in the way I usually write my flashcards. Then I make additional flashcards for the other phases, like "Identify and describe the inputs/outputs of the initiation/planning phase." (max. 6 marks bc they'll only ask about 2 of them.)

You should also get used to the way the examiner wants you to answer the question. They'll want you to be using the specific key terms (in the purple boxes if you have the blue textbook) to answer the question.

Lastly, I advise that you go on the website and print off the spec and tick off any completed topics as you go. If you don't feel like you can revise everything in time then I advise that you look only on the exam top tips (in the white revision guide) as those are most likely the things that come up in the test or retake in may.

And I also have a question: When is the R013 coursework due?
Reply 2
Omg thank you this helped so much. One thing though, we weren’t told about a blue textbook? Is it one you can buy? If so what’s it called?

As for the coursework, we’ve just done ours and our teachers are marking them now. Your school should have set a specific date for it to be due in so that they can mark it and I think send it off to the examiners? I don’t know how it works really. Although I think you may need to ask your teachers for the date.
GG
Original post by GreySkies_22
Omg thank you this helped so much. One thing though, we weren’t told about a blue textbook? Is it one you can buy? If so what’s it called?

As for the coursework, we’ve just done ours and our teachers are marking them now. Your school should have set a specific date for it to be due in so that they can mark it and I think send it off to the examiners? I don’t know how it works really. Although I think you may need to ask your teachers for the date.

The blue textbook is called Information Technologies by Sonia Stuart and Brian Gillinder.
The ISBN number for the book is: 978-1-5104-2327-5

Also, the coursework should be due depending on when your teacher needs it however it needs to be before December so that he or she can then give it to the examiners to mark.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by AA.Aleeanah
GG

The blue textbook is called Information Technologies by Sonia Stuart and Brian Gillinder.

Also, the coursework should be due depending on when your teacher needs it however it needs to be before December so that he or she can then give it to the examiners to mark.

Do you have any tips for the coursework because my teacher said that it's due in February..
Original post by AA.Aleeanah
GG

The blue textbook is the detailed book where it has everything in there such as project life cycle, types of threats, social engineering, cyber attacks etc. The blue book is named above (information technologies by Sonia Stuart and brian gillinder.
My coursework is due in January. so my teacher is marking it within the Christmas holidays and then a few people from our class will be chosen to give their coursework to the examiners which they will mark and see what level you have achieved.
The only tip I can recommend is to make sure to use the specification and follow it thoroughly make sure that you have included everything in your coursework such as, integrated documents which can get you 10 marks and if you don't understand what integrated documents are it explains it in the blue book or you can use Teach ict to help you understand what it is. (http://www.teach-ict.com/gcse_new/gcse_ict_home.html) this is the link so you can learn a few things if it's not listed in the blue book but mostly everything you need is in the blue book.
you can also buy a condensed version of the ict book which is white and it's very condensed and I prefer it over the blue book.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1510423281/ref=asc_df_151042328157704706/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=1510423281&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311013355418&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10836922060806968145&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044957&hvtargid=pla-564672110593&th=1&psc=1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending