The Student Room Group

Can I go to the NHS for mental health services at 16 w/o parents?

Reply 1
Yep
Defiantly!
Yes, but they may want to know why you're by yourself and if you're in the rate state of mind to consent to treatment. If they're worried about you or somebody else's safety, they may have to tell somebody else. This might not be your parents though.
Reply 4
Original post by flynn02

Yep. In terms of NHS you're adult at 16. You can make decisions, sign forms and all that by yourself. You might still be sent to the children's service cos there's a bit of a grey area until 18 (it's silly). You can still do everything by yourself though, no patent needed.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kindred
Yep. In terms of NHS you're adult at 16. You can make decisions, sign forms and all that by yourself. You might still be sent to the children's service cos there's a bit of a grey area until 18 (it's silly). You can still do everything by yourself though, no patent needed.

Just out of interest why do you think it's silly? :redface:
16 is still a child and in the waiting room of the adult area it had a very different feel and some uh... interesting characters :redface:
Original post by Anonymous
Defiantly!

Probably better to go compliantly tbh, don't want to get sectioned :h:
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Just out of interest why do you think it's silly? :redface:
16 is still a child and in the waiting room of the adult area it had a very different feel and some uh... interesting characters :redface:

Personal experience. Because there are a some mixed messages as to where child service ends and adult begins when I went to my GP at 17 I was told I was too old for CAMHS and needed to wait a year to use adult services. Obviously I could have been sent to CAMHS and that be that, but my GP apparently couldn't work that one out until I harassed them.
It's more of an issue with how it's handled in some cases than the thing itself. I think it makes perfect sense for 16 and 17 year old to use the children's service (or adult), but it seems it isn't necessarily clear to some doctors that that's the case.

Just personal experience though. I'm sure other GPS are able to work out that 17 year old do exist and need to go somewhere when they have mh issues.
Original post by Kindred
Personal experience. Because there are a some mixed messages as to where child service ends and adult begins when I went to my GP at 17 I was told I was too old for CAMHS and needed to wait a year to use adult services. Obviously I could have been sent to CAMHS and that be that, but my GP apparently couldn't work that one out until I harassed them.
It's more of an issue with how it's handled in some cases than the thing itself. I think it makes perfect sense for 16 and 17 year old to use the children's service (or adult), but it seems it isn't necessarily clear to some doctors that that's the case.

Just personal experience though. I'm sure other GPS are able to work out that 17 year old do exist and need to go somewhere when they have mh issues.

Oh I get what you mean now :yes: have heard stories of the transition between camhs and adult being confusing and stressful

Quick Reply

Latest