Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about computer brands, but I've found a few laptops that I like that are all i5-8250U, 128/256GB SSD with 8GB RAM. I'm just unsure whether there's any significant difference between laptops since I've seen prices ranging from 500-800 for the same specs.

Here's the laptops:

Is there any significant difference between them?

I currently use a laptop that's i3-6006U, 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, are the above a worthwhile upgrade? I want to have a laptop that'd handle occasional gaming, streaming, editing software, can handle multiple word documents and powerpoints open at the same time, etc. since mine is always freezing and slowing down when I have only two word documents and four Chrome tabs open, which isn't ideal.

I'm assuming the Dell would be the better option due to the dedicated graphics card?

But then again, there's also this, which is an i7-8550U for less than most of the i5-8520U laptops I've seen, so would THAT be the best option overall?

Or perhaps this?

Sorry for the waffle, just would really like some help in finding the best laptop for my needs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by velvethopes)
    I don't know much about computer brands, but I've found a few laptops that I like that are all i5-8250U, 128/256GB SSD with 8GB RAM. I'm just unsure whether there's any significant difference between laptops since I've seen prices ranging from 500-800 for the same specs.

Here's the laptops:

I currently use a laptop that's i3-6006U, 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, are the above a worthwhile upgrade? I want to have a laptop that'd handle occasional gaming, streaming, editing software, can handle multiple word documents and powerpoints open at the same time, etc. since mine is always freezing and slowing down when I have only two word documents and four Chrome tabs open, which isn't ideal.

I'm assuming the Dell would be the better option due to the dedicated graphics card?

But then again, there's also this, which is an i7-8550U for less than most of the i5-8520U laptops I've seen, so would THAT be the best option overall?

Or perhaps this?

Sorry for the waffle, just would really like some help in finding the best laptop for my needs
    "Occassional gaming" is the big determining factor here, what sort of games are we talking?

ReputationRep:
    None will handle gaming at 60fps

ReputationRep:
    Dude it's a mega upgrade.
    The first two are the same in terms of technology although I mean they're different brands/models so design (i.e. keyboard/cooling) is different.
    The dell one has a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) which means it would handle games a bit better.

I would almost dare say it's over 100% performance boost to your current machine (any of them). Any of them would easily handle your needs and I would go for the cheapest probably, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    "Occassional gaming" is the big determining factor here, what sort of games are we talking?
    Light gaming might be a better phrase for it? Mainly MMOs. I'm pretty sure my current meets the minimum requirements for some of them apart from dedicated video RAM. For example right now I just want to play Maplestory 2 which just freezes completely.
    I'd say the laptop would only 10% be for gaming, though if I had one that actually ran games then I'm sure that'd become 60%+ lmao

(Original post by pereira325)
    Dude it's a mega upgrade.
    The first two are the same in terms of technology although I mean they're different brands/models so design (i.e. keyboard/cooling) is different.
    The dell one has a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) which means it would handle games a bit better.

I would almost dare say it's over 100% performance boost to your current machine (any of them). Any of them would easily handle your needs and I would go for the cheapest probably, lol.
    Yeah, I just comapared the benchmark for each CPU and was really surprised how big of a difference there is. Okay, thank you!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Light gaming might be a better phrase for it? Mainly MMOs. I'm pretty sure my current meets the minimum requirements for some of them apart from dedicated video RAM. For example right now I just want to play Maplestory 2 which just freezes completely.
    I'd say the laptop would only 10% be for gaming, though if I had one that actually ran games then I'm sure that'd become 60%+ lmao
    By streaming and editing software, are you saying that you want to stream on a platform like Twitch, or that you want to stream content from services like Twitch and YouTube? If it's the latter, what are we talking about in terms of editing software?

Light gaming is fine, but still justifies a dedicated GPU. Integrated graphics on both Intel and AMD chips is simply no comparison. That makes the Dell Inspiron the best choice. However the MX130 is still a pretty mediocre card. While it may be fine for the light gaming you want, I'd be more inclined to look for something with maybe a 1050Ti or 1060. Of course this depends on your budget.

In terms of the differences between the laptops you found:

The HP initially looks like a good deal at £500. It's difficult sometimes to find modern quad core processors like the i5 8250U in devices under around £550. The 128GB SSD would normally explain that away and I'd say it's fine for most people. But what really hurts it is the display. It's only 1366x768. As a result, this laptop is overpriced for what you are getting. Avoid.

The Acer takes this to the other end of the spectrum. It has everything I'd expect (1080p display, i5 8250U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD). I'd consider it a good laptop. Problem is, it's overpriced. £650 for this hardware is a little too expensive. Some of that is justified by the slightly lighter and small body, but it's still not a good deal. So avoid.

The Dell is pretty much identical to the Acer but is £10 more expensive to offer you a dedicated GPU. Might only be an MX130 but it's better value than the Acer. This is the best of the 4 laptops you've found, but I'd be buying it elsewhere. If you can find something on Dell's own website, you can get 10% student discount for example. Similarly many other vendors will offer student discount.

The Lenovo is what I'd consider the best value laptop of the 4. Normally at £600 I'd only expect an i5 8250U and a 15.6 inch display in a 2Kg body. Getting an i7 and a lighter 14 inch body is pretty good value at this price. However for what you want, it's not useful due to the lack of GPU. Good laptop, but avoid.

So where to go from here? It's tough to say. What sort of budget do you actually have? How important is gaming to you? Do you need a laptop, or is a desktop an option? Traditionally, decent gaming laptops tend to start at higher prices than what you're looking at. Even from Currys (who aren't the best value), the cheapest gaming laptops with a 1050Ti start at £800, in this case the cheapest being this Acer Predator. And while a lower end GPU might be an option for you, we'll need to know exactly what games you intend to play rather than just the genre.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.