What do people wear at university? Watch

Joe2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'll probably be off to uni soon. As schools have uniforms, this is a bit annoying as I'm used to that rather than my own clothes and choosing what to wear.

That combined with the fact that I am going through a change in style at the moment from casual to a bit more metrosexual means that I don't really know what to wear when I go there.

What do people wear there?
username4301878
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I get up in the morning, I put on a suit.
pereira325
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have no idea what metrosexual means but what I wear is just anything casual because I can't be bothered to put on something formal.
So that just means jeans, trainers, a t-shirt (long or short) and a sweater (if it's cold). I don't think anyone really cares.
Joe2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ligma Balls)
I get up in the morning, I put on a suit.
Do many people wear a suit?
arabie2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Clothes?
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
jeans/tshirt is kind of the basic standard I guess...I mean nobody really cares what you're wearing, odds are at least one person in your lecture will be in actual pyjamas so whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
username4301878
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joe2001)
I've seen a few people regularly wear suits, one of them has a penchant for bow ties.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll probably be off to uni soon. As schools have uniforms, this is a bit annoying as I'm used to that rather than my own clothes and choosing what to wear.

That combined with the fact that I am going through a change in style at the moment from casual to a bit more metrosexual means that I don't really know what to wear when I go there.

What do people wear there?
Clothes is literally the answer. People will turn up in whatever they want to wear and you're unlikely to really be judged unless you're wearing something exceptionally outlandish.

For the most part, you'll find people wearing casual clothes. On occasion, you might see people wearing pyjamas. Or maybe someone had an interview and is wearing a suit. But it's really not a big deal, just wear casual clothing that'd be acceptable to go outside in.
arabie2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Boxers and socks and sandles - thats it
velvetzappa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I ride into uni on my hearse wearing pretty casual with a black funeral tuxedo and a blood red bow tie.
Joe2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Clothes is literally the answer. People will turn up in whatever they want to wear and you're unlikely to really be judged unless you're wearing something exceptionally outlandish.

For the most part, you'll find people wearing casual clothes. On occasion, you might see people wearing pyjamas. Or maybe someone had an interview and is wearing a suit. But it's really not a big deal, just wear casual clothing that'd be acceptable to go outside in.
How formal can one get?
Joe2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ligma Balls)
I've seen a few people regularly wear suits, one of them has a penchant for bow ties.
That's really cool. Does anyone judge them for it? I would love to dress formally but worry that I would stand out.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How formal can one get?
You can be as formal as you want. As you said, there's no dress code at uni. But as always, if you don't dress for the occasion, you'll draw attention to yourself. There's no reason why you can't go in a suit every day for example. However unless everyone else is also wearing a suit (at which point there's some reason for it) you're going to be in the minority.

Ultimately you are free to wear whatever you want. That means most people are wearing casual clothes like jeans and T Shirts. Some people go smart casual, I would usually wear jeans/nicer trousers and a casual shirt for example. But if you want to go in something like a suit, you'll stand out for no good reason. Whether you want that is up to you.

At the end of the day, you'll see the sort of clothing other people are wearing after your first day and can moderate yourself if necessary based on that. It's not really warrant worrying about, if you wear the wrong thing once you'll soon learn from your mistake.
Last edited by Acsel; 1 month ago
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's really cool. Does anyone judge them for it? I would love to dress formally but worry that I would stand out.
You might stand out, but if you own it, then it can be your thing. For the law lot, the formal-dressing weirdos are somewhat common. Really, people make an effort for the first week and then come in wearing hoodies and trainers.
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anything I can buy cheap from Primarni. Need to budget with a student loan.
Joe2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
You can be as formal as you want. As you said, there's no dress code at uni. But as always, if you don't dress for the occasion, you'll draw attention to yourself. There's no reason why you can't go in a suit every day for example. However unless everyone else is also wearing a suit (at which point there's some reason for it) you're going to be in the minority.

Ultimately you are free to wear whatever you want. That means most people are wearing casual clothes like jeans and T Shirts. Some people go smart casual, I would usually wear jeans/nicer trousers and a casual shirt for example. But if you want to go in something like a suit, you'll stand out for no good reason. Whether you want that is up to you.

At the end of the day, you'll see the sort of clothing other people are wearing after your first day and can moderate yourself if necessary based on that. It's not really warrant worrying about, if you wear the wrong thing once you'll soon learn from your mistake.
Thanks for your advice.
If I had a button down shirt, tucked into some trousers with a belt, is that too formal?
Last edited by Joe2001; 1 month ago
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your advice.
If I had a button down shirt, tucked into some trousers with a belt, is that too formal?
prolly yes
Joe2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
prolly yes
What about it is too formal?
velvethopes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone wears what they want. Some people go all out with expressing themselves and wear all sorts of different outfits and whatever, others wear whatever's comfiest, and some turn up in pyjamas and sunglasses.
SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
basically nothing here. but i went on exchange and about half wore smart casual some folk just turned up in a suit. interesting cos turning up decently dressed was encouraged
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (985)
79.37%
Leave (256)
20.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed