The Student Room Group

Minor Panic Attack When Driving Is This Safe?

I have passed my driving test and around 2 years later i got a car. I'm not a bad driver but at times i stall because i've jumped the clutch or not given enough gas. Sometimes changing gears from 2nd to 3rd it gets stuck. Obviously i should remain calm in such situations but my brain goes into instant panic mode my arms and knees feel weak (moms spaghetti style) and my hands are shaky sure i can still drive but that panic attack feeling makes me not want to drive again and ruins my chances in improving my driving :frown: Also is it safe to continue driving whilst feeling like this..? People behind me start beeping because i'm holding them up but that **** makes me so nervous like I'M TRYING PLEASE BE NICE
Moved to Mental Health.
I can’t advise on driving really only to say that if you don’t feel that you are safe doing it then don’t . Make sure you look after yourself and other road users / pedestrians and just be careful and take care .

If you feel you are struggling with anxiety then talk to your gp and he or she can point you in the right direction of mental health services that you can access and also get the support you need from friends and family . If you are on some medication like SSRIs for anxiety they advise you not to drive so if you do choose to have medication that’s something to bear in mind but it varies depending on the medication So if you do choose to take medication just ask your doctor or pharmacist what the reccemendations are . I take meds for anxiety but meds aren’t for everyone and it’s 100% up to you what you do . CBT and mindfulness are also really good for treating anxiety so maybe look into that :smile: x do what you need to do to keep yourself and others happy and safe .

The Samaritans are 24/ 7 and can be contacted on 116 123 or *07725 909090‬
If you prefer to text and they can listen to any of your worries

Obviously don’t text / call or use your phone when driving though !

Keep safe xxx

Quick Reply

Latest