Turn on thread page Beta

Just Barely Scraping Through GCSEs watch

ReputationRep:
    Introduction

Hello! My name is Ann and I created this in order to try and keep track of my revision and to ensure that my grades are gradually increasing so I can end up with results I am at least satisfied with. I was given a target of grade 8s for every subject since the start of High School but our predictions were given to us last year - I forgot them :0 but I am pretty sure they have changed after the set of mocks we have just recently completed.

Subjects I am taking:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Maths - Edexcel
    English Language - AQA
    English Literature - AQA
    Spanish - AQA
    Combined Science - OCR 21st Century
    I.T. - CiDA
    History - AQA
    R.E. - Edexcel

My recent mock exam results:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Maths - 7+ (3 marks off an 8 :0)
    English Language - 7+ (2 marks off an 8, damn it)
    English Literature - we didn't do it this year but last year I got a 5 :/
    Spanish - 6+
    Combined Science - 7, 6
    I.T. - we have already completed the actual exam (I received an A, but we are still doing coursework)
    History - 5- (yeah... I did pretty bad - but I didn't know how to structure any of the damn questions)
    R.E. - 8+ (WHOOP!)

Revision

Concerning revision, I revised for maths the most (watched the 30 minute long vectors video on MathsWatch and a past paper). I watched Primrose Kitten's 37 minutes long video on Chemistry modules 4, 5 and 6 (because we were supposed to do that in year 9, did we? No.). History, I skim-read over one of the two topics. Physics... is what I thought my worst subject was but I managed to find these summary powerpoints on my school system and read quickly through the first 2 modules, watched a 2015 video on someone going through a past video and that was it. For Biology, I used Seneca to do half of b5 (I only revised the heart). R.E. nothing at all; English, nothing there either and same with Spanish.

Final Statement..?

I made this to try and motivate me to revise and hopefully that'll result in my grades becoming better. My (extremely strict with grades) parents expect grade 9s (totally going to happen) but I'll be happy with 8s in English, Maths, Science; a 9 (am I being amitious?) in R.E.; 7s in Spanish and History.

If you guys have any tips and reccomendations that will possibly aid me in improving my grades, please send them my way because I am stressed and having mental breakdowns because I have not revised, I used to never revise and I'm new to this, I would love high grades and I feel incredibly pressured into getting them. Also? I've forgotten most of the content I have learnt in year 9 and our teachers were very bad and we haven't even learnt C3456.

This was a mess, I'm sorry, I just spent an hour crying after showing my parents my mock results

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck lol. Had mine last year. Good to keep track of your progress as it gives you the necessary "clear mindset".
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mateoita)
    Best of luck lol. Had mine last year. Good to keep track of your progress as it gives you the necessary "clear mindset".
    thank you <3, if you dont mind me asking, how did you do/when did you start revising and what are you doing now? hope everything worked out for you well and continues to do so!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I got 5 "9"s 3 "A*"s 4"8"s for my GCSEs.

I started my revision in december (for my mock GCSEs), and to be honest workload maintained pretty much the same throughout the year since then. During study leave (around May) however my workload actually decreased ever so slightly as I have pretty much covered all the content and what I did was past papers and consolidation (looking over my notes).

I am currently studying maths, further maths, chemistry and physics.

My suggestion for exam-preparation:

1. Start early, plan wisely
    2. Exercise! This is very important. I exercised loads during exam period and that kept me "sane".
    3. Sleep. I can't stress it's importance more.
    4. Don't hesistate to ask for help... Teachers or your mates. Never too early, never too late.

In terms of planning, here's what I did for my exams (suggestion only):

Dec - March : rewrite notes from textbooks / revision guides. Make flashcards / mindmaps for key terms (sciences) and quotes (English), also dates (history). The earlier you start doing this, the more chilled you'll be later

March-April (it's coming!!!): past papers month. Time to see how well you've studied. Mark them yourselves, and note down areas of weakness. Re-read your notes on those areas, and try again. Practice the juicy 6 markers (I know annoying af), but you'll gain the most from them. Bring in your answer script to your teachers and ask fro their opinion. AGAIN, IN THIS STAGE OF THE GAME, YOU GOTTA BE SELF MOTIVATED. No one will force you to do anything. IT'S YOU AND YOURSELF.

May-End of exam: You can pretty much chill (only slightly!) now, as all the hardwork's been done. Exams drain your energy, so imagine doing all the work now xd?!?! During this period, daily flashcards review is recommended. Use Quxxxlet (I don't want to spell their name as I don't have an enodrsement with them. I'm referring to an online flashcard website). This consolidates your knowledge throughout the exam period. Last-minute cramming doesn't work, in particular history and English quotes. Again, start early.

THEN YOU'RE DONE!!! CELEBRATE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mateoita)
    Hi there. I got 5 "9"s 3 "A*"s 4"8"s for my GCSEs.

I started my revision in december (for my mock GCSEs), and to be honest workload maintained pretty much the same throughout the year since then. During study leave (around May) however my workload actually decreased ever so slightly as I have pretty much covered all the content and what I did was past papers and consolidation (looking over my notes).

I am currently studying maths, further maths, chemistry and physics.

My suggestion for exam-preparation:

1. Start early, plan wisely
    2. Exercise! This is very important. I exercised loads during exam period and that kept me "sane".
    3. Sleep. I can't stress it's importance more.
    4. Don't hesistate to ask for help... Teachers or your mates. Never too early, never too late.

In terms of planning, here's what I did for my exams (suggestion only):

Dec - March : rewrite notes from textbooks / revision guides. Make flashcards / mindmaps for key terms (sciences) and quotes (English), also dates (history). The earlier you start doing this, the more chilled you'll be later

March-April (it's coming!!!): past papers month. Time to see how well you've studied. Mark them yourselves, and note down areas of weakness. Re-read your notes on those areas, and try again. Practice the juicy 6 markers (I know annoying af), but you'll gain the most from them. Bring in your answer script to your teachers and ask fro their opinion. AGAIN, IN THIS STAGE OF THE GAME, YOU GOTTA BE SELF MOTIVATED. No one will force you to do anything. IT'S YOU AND YOURSELF.

May-End of exam: You can pretty much chill (only slightly!) now, as all the hardwork's been done. Exams drain your energy, so imagine doing all the work now xd?!?! During this period, daily flashcards review is recommended. Use Quxxxlet (I don't want to spell their name as I don't have an enodrsement with them. I'm referring to an online flashcard website). This consolidates your knowledge throughout the exam period. Last-minute cramming doesn't work, in particular history and English quotes. Again, start early.

THEN YOU'RE DONE!!! CELEBRATE.
    thank you So Much, you are an absolute Legend! Congrats on your grades too, they're very impressive! I couldn't start revising up until now since I was away in India for the past 2 weeks so do you think I can start now and still do well?

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE!!

Yes, it has been... 4 weeks - whoops! I genuinely forgot about this for two weeks then I remembered whilst I was in India for two weeks so... here I am. I hope to start properly revising for my exams as I have mocks on the week commencing the 3rd of February and March. But first, I have to catch up on the crap ton of homework I have been set :,0
    Also!! Considering my results, we got out papers back and I actually got a 9 in R.E. - my teacher read the mark scheme wrong - and as for science I got 8-7 in Physics (which I considered my weakest subject hhHh), 7-6 in Biology and 6-5 in Chemistry (I got 7-6 overall).

Subjects I hope to focus on include English Literature, History, Science (mostly chemistry and physics) and Spanish.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.