The Student Room Group

Has anyone never paid for council tax?

I am an external student but I really do not want to pay for this as I am going home in a few weeks. Does anyone know what will happen if I refuse to pay for this. Or has anyone in a similar position got away without paying the council tax
If you're a student you don't have to pay. If you're not you have to pay, don't try and get out of it.
If you don't pay council tax, they will ask you to pay it for a few months. Eventually they will seek a liability order from the magistrates' court.

This can lead to bailiffs at your door; or if there is a long period where you don't pay when you had the means to pay, it can lead to imprisonment. But you're not in the UK, so I suspect both of these things are irrelevant to you. More importantly, students don't have to pay council tax.
Reply 3
Original post by Notoriety
If you don't pay council tax, they will ask you to pay it for a few months. Eventually they will seek a liability order from the magistrates' court.

This can lead to bailiffs at your door; or if there is a long period where you don't pay when you had the means to pay, it can lead to imprisonment. But you're not in the UK, so I suspect both of these things are irrelevant to you. More importantly, students don't have to pay council tax.

I was late paying it once. about a week later they sent me a letter demanding it be paid and that i would be summoned to court 30 days from now if i didn't pay!

that was the first time i was late on payment.

they take non payment of council tax very seriously!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending