travelcollegeguy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am excitied but nervous in going to university. How many assignments do you get each term and do you get lectures at weekends. How many lectures a week do you normally get and what do you do in your spare time
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by travelcollegeguy)
I am excitied but nervous in going to university. How many assignments do you get each term and do you get lectures at weekends. How many lectures a week do you normally get and what do you do in your spare time
Depends on the course and which uni you're planning to attend.

Some might have sample timetables on course webpages. If not, ask admissions for one to look at
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
chester hopefully
wonderland.16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It varies greatly by course and uni. I'm on teacher training and get a lot more contact hours as we are out on placement for 2-3 months. I haven't heard of any uni's doing weekend lectures. My lectures always fall between 9-5 and are nearly always 2hours long. I'm in uni at least 4 days a week generally. I have 6 modules and 7 assignments I think, plus placement. This year (I'm in my 2nd of 3 years) I have had: 1 assignment due November, 1 due December, 1 due start of January, and most of the others are due April I believe. So the 2 Assignments that I've done now mean I have completed the module and don't go back to it at all. Spare time doesn't really exist for me as there is always something I am meant to be doing. Writing assignments, prep for placement, reading ahead, planning assignments, reading theory, planning for placement etc. It doesn't stop really. However, I do have time off, in which I just do what I want. Read, go out, beach, cinema, bowling, cook, visit family etc. However this year my assignments have been back to back with placement too so there has been little free time. I hope this helps, but as the above poster says, it really does depend on course and uni etc. All the best.
Beecar98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing Biomedical Science in my second year and I've so far had about 4 assignment/assessments this term. Next term I have around 8 assignments/assessments, and 4 exams in June. I have never had any lectures at the weekend, and I haven't heard of any doing so.

The number of lectures I normally have in a week varies greatly. Some weeks I may have about 6/7 lectures and some weeks I'll have 14/15.

In my free time I tend to watch TV/films/youtube, hang out with friends or my boyfriend and play video games.

I hope this helps!
hallamstudents
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey travelcollegeguy

While the fact it varies has been covered a lot in this thread, in both courses I've had, the general layout has been the following:

SEMESTER 1
Module 1 - 2 assignments with different due dates, weighted for total module mark
Module 2 - As above
Module 3 - As above

And then the same for Semester 2, just with different modules.

This may not apply to you of course, but it gives you an idea. You may have examinations instead of assignments, you may only have one large assignment, you may have your dates closer together.

I hope this gives you some insight though on what kind of structures are available.
Josh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (73)
38.22%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.95%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.09%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.85%

Watched Threads