Question re first PhD supervisor meeting Watch

daveeboy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi,

This may sound like an odd question, but I just wanted to check I'm not doing something wrong regarding a first meeting I'm about to have with my PhD supervisors – the question is, is it okay to discuss feedback from other applications with them at all?

I know it sounds weird, but I'm not sure if it would be deemed a no-no.

Just to give you some background as to why I'm asking, I generally had reasonably okay / good feedback on my research proposal, but one supervisor I spoke to pulled it apart and told me it was a rp, but not a PhD rp. He said it lacked an epistemological / ontological stance and many aspects of the research question and anticipated contribution weren't the purpose of a PhD. I changed it up significantly, but still got rejected by the university he was at.

Naturally, this is on my mind in advance of starting my PhD proper and I'd like to discuss it with my actual supervisors, but don't know if I should only be discussing the proposal I submitted to them (which wasn't the version I changed for the other supervisor)?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by daveeboy)
It's perfectly reasonable to ask if they think the proposal lacks an epistemological / ontological stance, but I wouldn't necessarily do it in the first meeting. Let them lead the agenda in the first meeting and work through criticisms slowly through the first and second terms.
daveeboy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads