My girlfriend opened the passenger door and collided with a passing car Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was parked up by a pump at the petrol garage, and I wasn't even in the vehicle at the time. I was just about to fill up my car, so I was picking up the pump and faced in the other direction to the incident. My girlfriend claims she opened the door without checking the mirror and a passing car drove straight into her door. This left a big dent on her driver side wing.

Who is liable for this accident? Is it the driver of the passing car, my girlfriend or me? I'm a young driver and my insurance is already sky high. They're saying they want to go through insurance but that means I'll pay £350 excess fee plus my insurance next year will increase even more! This seems a bit unfair to me.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was parked up by a pump at the petrol garage, and I wasn't even in the vehicle at the time. I was just about to fill up my car, so I was picking up the pump and faced in the other direction to the incident. My girlfriend claims she opened the door without checking the mirror and a passing car drove straight into her door. This left a big dent on her driver side wing.

Who is liable for this accident? Is it the driver of the passing car, my girlfriend or me? I'm a young driver and my insurance is already sky high. They're saying they want to go through insurance but that means I'll pay £350 excess fee plus my insurance next year will increase even more! This seems a bit unfair to me.
Well, the other car did nothing wrong did it?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

If the other car was driving so fast, or so close, that they couldn't avoid hitting you I imagine they will have some blame. If your gf opened the door, without checking, into the path of a passing car then I imagine she (ie you) will have some blame. I assume it will have been caught on cctv.

Why is it unfair? Your gf/passenger arguably contributed to an accident.
username4236092
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How much damage is there? AA damaged my car door once and without going through insurance it cost £250 which they reimbursed it. It might not cost as much as even your excess. I would try to sort it without going through insurance.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.35%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.35%

Watched Threads