Problems with UCAS Reference Watch

Schroedp53
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I am trying to submit an application to the University of Edinburgh for Mathematical Physics. Basically I have exceeded the A Level Grade requirements for their second year entry. However I am facing an issue with the reference as I am applying by myself and cannot turn to anyone from my previous school for a reference. I have took my A Levels with Cambridge International Examinations which can be directly corresponded with the UK A Levels. In fact I took them way before the period students in my country normally take their national examinations. The reason behind is due to, based on my personal opinions and beliefs, unreasonable military conscription in my country of origin (which I will not specify for obvious reasons), which is why I have left the school and that country before prior to graduation from the sixth form I was in. Unfortunately the conscription cannot be substituted by any other forms of service, and involves 2 full years of combat training, unlike other models present in Europe. However that also results in a lack of reference to be furnished from an academic staff. Educators in tha country are civil servants and will never do anything that may jeopardise their career. I have contacted the admissions officer and they seem understanding to the reason I am applying independently and leaving the school. However as I tried to contact them nearly a week ago about the reference requirement and whether it can be substituted by something else they did not reply the email till now. Is the reference really so crucial in the application process and should I request for an update about the enquiry or should I just wait for a response. I do not wish to offend them by pestering them for a reply but is a week of waiting normal? Thank you and sorry for the lengthy post.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1384)
79.54%
Leave (356)
20.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise