Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Now this is a sad way to go , RIP

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/fifteen-ye...095858932.html
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Stuff like this keeps on happening. Put your damn phone down. Electronics (especially ones that are plugged into the mains) + Water rarely works out well
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not necessarily saying she deserved it, but it takes a special kind of stupid to not see the issue with using a phone in the bath. Let alone while plugged in.

This whole trend of people needing to take their phones to the bathroom with them is ridiculous. I have zero sympathy for idiots that drop their phone in the sink or toilet.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)

rina Rybnikova was killed in the city of Bratsk in the central Russian region of Irkutsk Oblast when she took a bath with her phone on charge.
so she was really electrocuted by her charger which I'm going to presume was plugged into the mains. don't take stuff that's plugged into the mains into the bath with you... especially not if it's a cheap third party charger you found on ebay... here's why...

https://youtu.be/ioAq7PI1Uwg?t=14
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
don't take stuff that's plugged into the mains into the bath with you
Or better yet, don't let electronic goods get near water in the first place, regardless of whether they are plugged in
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Acsel)
I'm not necessarily saying she deserved it, but it takes a special kind of stupid to not see the issue with using a phone in the bath. Let alone while plugged in.

This whole trend of people needing to take their phones to the bathroom with them is ridiculous. I have zero sympathy for idiots that drop their phone in the sink or toilet.
There isn't much issue with using a phone in the bath in all honesty, other than the fact that people are so attached to their phones that can go 5-30 minutes without it. It'd be pretty silly to use your phone in the bath if it isn't water resistant. But I seem to remember that the reason Sony was so insistent on pushing water resistant phones was because of something a lot of people in Japan often did. I can't remember if it was using their phone while in the bath, or something similar involving water. Simply put, it sold well in their home market, and water resistance did play a part in that.

The idiocy behind this story is using the phone while it was plugged into the mains. Using her phone in the bath was a sort of sad reality of the current generation who can't seem to keep away from their phones.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 month ago
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If she'd been using a powerbank, even a really cheap one, she's just have a wet iphone to worry about.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)
There isn't much issue with using a phone in the bath in all honesty, other than the fact that people are so attached to their phones that can go 5-30 minutes without it. It'd be pretty silly to use your phone in the bath if it isn't water resistant. But I seem to remember that the reason Sony was so insistent on pushing water resistant phones was because of something a lot of people in Japan often did. I can't remember if it was using their phone while in the bath, or something similar involving water. Simply put, it sold well in their home market, and water resistance did play a part in that.

The idiocy behind this story is using the phone while it was plugged into the mains. Using her phone in the bath was a sort of sad reality of the current generation who can't seem to keep away from their phones.
Thing is, water resistance is not a feature on every phone and many people will generally have no idea. If you're not smart enough to know electricity and water don't mix, it's a stretch to expect them to know whether their device is water resistant. Water resistance is also not the same as waterproofing and the IP67/68 ratings that come with electronics come with a bunch of caveats. For example, IP67 water resistance allows you to submerse your phone in a metre of water for 30 minutes. But that only applies to fresh water. The water coming out of your taps is considered fresh water, but is almost certainly going to contain impurities. The water in your bath is almost certainly not fresh, since it'll most likely contain chemicals from bubble bath, bath bombs, dirt and so on. Now obviously people aren't dunking their phones in the bath for an extended period, but in theory the water resistance rating on a phone doesn't technically cover it against being in the bath at all. It's also worth considering things like water vapour from the humid environment. And not drying the phone off properly may still result in corrosion.

Simply put, the water resistance ratings on phones are done under laboratory conditions. A device from Sony was marketed in 2015 as being capable of taking photos underwater thanks to its IP68 rating, but they had to later retract that statement. Similarly an advert from HTC was banned in the UK for suggesting it was safe to use phones in a swimming pool. As a general rule, it's best not to be using your phone in the bath at all.

You're quite correct though, using it while plugged in was idiotic. Not being able to put it down is just plain sad. I personally wouldn't consider that sad reality to come under the "there isn't much issue" point though.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is because society has taught us that being without our phones for more than 4 seconds might lead us to missing something lifechanging. It's ridiculous and so, so sad - in both senses of the word.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm going to be the first to call ******** on this story - 1 amp @ 5 volts is not going to kill, even in a bath.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
I'm going to be the first to call ******** on this story - 1 amp @ 5 volts is not going to kill, even in a bath.
there is only one way for you to find out Tom !

:beard:
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

She wasn't electrocuted by her iPhone, she was electrocuted by the mains power she'd run a cable to her bath from.

It's sad that she died, but it's also sad that nobody taught her this basic fact about electricity
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by the bear)
there is only one way for you to find out Tom !

:beard:
Now now, Bear.
Musaaafir
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are we really this addicted to our phones?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I dropped my phone in the bath once. I was chatting to my b/f and for a few seconds I could still hear him talking in a sort of burbly way from under the water. Then I managed to grab the phone and stick it on a towel, where it shook itself like a puppy!
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Was there a socket in the bathroom? :confused:
Can't believe anyone would take mains electricity into a bathroom
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Theres a reason we don't have plug sockets in the bathroom...
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Who has a plug socket in the bathroom for charging phones?
SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how does stories like this actually end up in the news tho. like someething tragic happened why would u turn to the newspapers. i suppose to warn ppl but is that something youd share a few days later or somethin g youd consider a few years on
Last edited by SJW-; 1 month ago
Tom2001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

15 year olds know water and electricity don’t mix.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (903)
79.91%
Leave (227)
20.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed