Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Due to continuing illness and mental health issues I have been unable to work full time since Nov 2015. Trying to do something positive about my depression and anxiety, I decided to go back into education to improve my confidence, top-up my HND up-to a BA Hons degree, and hopefully pave the way back into work in the future. As I was unsure if I would be able to return to do a top-up in a subject I had already studied, I rang SLC who advised me I could do this on a part time basis only and would be awarded a full loan/grant. So I began the course in October 2018. Then in the last week of November I received a letter informing me that a ‘quality check’ had been made on my account and SFC had no-choice but to retrieve the grant I’d received in the academic years of 2011/12 and 2012/13 = a whopping £5,890.

I think the problem is that I began a BA Hons course in 2003 at Coventry University, but due to my then undiagnosed mental health condition, I had to defer it for two years. But sadly became physically unable to return to it, and ended with no qualification at all. The SFC say that I was party to this error, as I did not declare I had left Coventry University with a Foundation Degree (which I did not) when I applied for funding my HND course in 2011. If I have made an error I am sorry, but thought the SFC would have accurate records of my education and loans. As I am unable to work due to my mental health condition I have no way of paying back such a huge amount. This matter is causing me great anxiety and stress, adding to my already highly unpredictable, mental health problems. I understand students are not eligible to receive funding for an equivalent or a lower level course, but I thought a top up was acceptable.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by cdorandavies)
    Due to continuing illness and mental health issues I have been unable to work full time since Nov 2015. Trying to do something positive about my depression and anxiety, I decided to go back into education to improve my confidence, top-up my HND up-to a BA Hons degree, and hopefully pave the way back into work in the future. As I was unsure if I would be able to return to do a top-up in a subject I had already studied, I rang SLC who advised me I could do this on a part time basis only and would be awarded a full loan/grant. So I began the course in October 2018. Then in the last week of November I received a letter informing me that a ‘quality check’ had been made on my account and SFC had no-choice but to retrieve the grant I’d received in the academic years of 2011/12 and 2012/13 = a whopping £5,890.

I think the problem is that I began a BA Hons course in 2003 at Coventry University, but due to my then undiagnosed mental health condition, I had to defer it for two years. But sadly became physically unable to return to it, and ended with no qualification at all. The SFC say that I was party to this error, as I did not declare I had left Coventry University with a Foundation Degree (which I did not) when I applied for funding my HND course in 2011. If I have made an error I am sorry, but thought the SFC would have accurate records of my education and loans. As I am unable to work due to my mental health condition I have no way of paying back such a huge amount. This matter is causing me great anxiety and stress, adding to my already highly unpredictable, mental health problems. I understand students are not eligible to receive funding for an equivalent or a lower level course, but I thought a top up was acceptable.
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about your over payment. I'd recommend sending us a private/direct message via either Facebook or Twitter. This will allow us to gain access to your account and look in to this further for you if you'd like?

Thanks, Duncan

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.