The Student Room Group

GAMSAT Preparation? Medicine as Second Degree?

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all ok?
I am writing to inquire and ask for help in the best ways to prepare for the GAMSAT, funding for medicine as a second degree when coming from a non-science background, as well as to see if any current medical students would be happy to help me and send me their first year medicine notes to give me an idea on the basic concepts of biology, chemistry, and physics for the Section III of the GAMSAT?

Upon doing research into the GAMSAT I understand that section III is based on first-year university, medicine student level biology and chemistry and year 12 physics.
I achieved a 2:1 in BA honours English at University of Plymouth and trained as a teacher, however upon gaining teaching experience during my final year before qualifying, I realised it wasn't the path I wished to pursue. I have done many jobs within the community and hospitals as a healthcare assistant since graduating in 2013. Recently completing volunteer shadow experience of doctors, I have discovered a passion for medicine, science, learning and helping others. The doctors and anaesthetists I shadowed, as well as the doctors I have worked with on the wards, believe I would make an amazing doctor and have really pushed me, trained me in some of their knowledge and agreed to assist with preparing for an interview if I am selected. However, I need to overcome and smash this GAMSAT. I am hoping to sit the exam in September 2019 and begin the 5 year medicine degree course in 2020, giving me 9 months to prepare.

Does anyone have advice on where to start for studying the GAMSAT?
Sections II and Section I, I have practiced and achieved 56 in section I as an average, 61 in section II (using the ACER online GAMSAT Practice) when I have practiced them.
However, coming from a non-science background, I am unsure where to start with Section III? I did a practice and scored a disheartening 45.

Any tutors that anyone can recommend?
What kind of funding is available for an English graduate hoping to study a second degree in Medicine?
Thanks for all your advice and help in advance.
Reply 1
Hi, are you sitting in September 2019.

I can talk to you about study stuff if that helps.

Sat 3x Edinburgh, Liverpool Edinburgh.

Best and final 54/69/57 =59 and above
Threshold.

Used Frasers GAMSAT online material.
Hi any tips for GAMSAT prep? I’m looking to apply for March 2020 exam. Please any advice would be appreciated

Latest

Trending

Trending