New car or New battery?

Watch
cbaforcba
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A few days ago my car battery ran out, I am probably going to get a completely new battery for it, anyways it's my first car and I always had intentions of upgrading after a year, which will be March.

I know it's my decision, but I just wanted to see what you lot think, moneys not a problem, but what do you say I do, just get a battery and wait till I get a years no claims which will be March, just upgrade asap or buy a battery, sell it asap and then upgrade, best option is too probably buy a battery and then sell asap so it'd sell for more, but then I'd have to wait for the battery to come which being the Christmas period, would probably be a while.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cbaforcba)
A few days ago my car battery ran out, I am probably going to get a completely new battery for it, anyways it's my first car and I always had intentions of upgrading after a year, which will be March.

I know it's my decision, but I just wanted to see what you lot think, moneys not a problem, but what do you say I do, just get a battery and wait till I get a years no claims which will be March, just upgrade asap or buy a battery, sell it asap and then upgrade, best option is too probably buy a battery and then sell asap so it'd sell for more, but then I'd have to wait for the battery to come which being the Christmas period, would probably be a while.
Don't be stupid and lose your NCB.
maeger
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I mean, you could try connecting a battery charger and charging it. Batteries do go flat, especially if you leave a car without starting it for a while.
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
Firstly, make sure it definitely is the battery and not something else.

If someone is going to buy the car off you with a dead battery then you'll be losing out as it won't just be the cost of a battery they'll want taken off the price.

To me it makes sense to get the battery replaced and keep the car running. Any other car you buy in its place will have its own minor faults which will likely cost you more to repair. Come March you'll have your years no claims which will make a difference in your insurance premiums - not just next year, but over the next 9 years if you maintain a clean record. I think it'd be silly to throw that away over a battery. It's not like you've bent a rod or anything.
mphysical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can't understand why a new battery is such a drama.
Unless you have a Prius or something, £50 - £70 should do it.
Just take the old one to an auto electrics or most spares suppliers and exchange.

Removing and replacing - about a hour.
You will struggle selling you car with a duff battery anyway.

What do you mean by 'A few days ago my car battery ran out,'
Cat batteries do not run out, they fail to hold their charge.

I have such a battery in the garage which I keep as a spare, I can charge it up and run the car off it for a day, but it would be flat by morning.

Are you sure the battery has died or does it just need charging?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.51%
I need help researching courses (6)
8.11%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.41%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
40.54%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (19)
25.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.7%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.05%

Watched Threads