Are Cambridge or Oxford universities ideal for working at NASA in future

Watch
JazmineAPHR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was just wondering if Cambridge University and Oxford University were the right choices if you wanted to work in NASA in the future. Are there any better choices if not?
Last edited by JazmineAPHR; 1 year ago
Herts PG Student Repsdafaf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi JazmineAPHR,

If you're aiming for that, then they're a reasonable place to start - I believe Cambridge has a pretty good Aerospace department. For NASA specifically however I would imagine a US university would make it easier to get a foot in the door - a quick Google tells me Massachusets, Stanford, Michigan - Ann Arbor and Texas A&M are all good.

If you'd prefer to study in the UK it may be worth looking into working with the European Space Agency. There's plenty of information out there, but for what it's worth I have a family member who studied at Leicester and now flies satellites for the ESA, and he raves about his time there.

Hope that helps a bit!

Theo
ineedamarkscheme
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have US citizenship? You need to be a US citizen to work for NASA.

If your're international look at MIT, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Caltech, Berkeley etc. It will be much easier to get permission to work in the US if you study there.
Last edited by ineedamarkscheme; 1 year ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ideal? Ehhh... probably not the best in the world for it, their courses tend to be more theoretical, less geared towards the practical side of things.
Unless you have US citizenship or plan on getting it. it would be easier to work for the European Space Agency (ESA) instead.
What I've noticed, because I actually would love to end up working in the ESA, is that the people involved there have all sorts of different degrees from a wide range of unis. So it's what you do after uni that seems to matter more when it comes to this field.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (675)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads