Should the uk go cashless? Watch

Rudav123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is for my EPQ and it would be intresting to see if people have any ideas or opinions on this topic.
Thanks
HeroinAddict
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no, cash economy allows people to employ under the minimum wage individuals without reporting it to the gov. Cashless system would increase
unemployment
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
whats the alternative?

inb4 muhhh bitcoin

> 16k -> 3k in the span of 11 months. imagine what would happen to our economy if that was our main currency

LOL
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
whats the alternative?

inb4 muhhh bitcoin

> 16k -> 3k in the span of 3 months. imagine what would happen to our economy if that was our main currency

LOL
I don't think the OP (or anyone sane) is advocating for cryptocurrency... especially not BTC LOL
Yr_11_MATHS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rudav123)
This is for my EPQ and it would be intresting to see if people have any ideas or opinions on this topic.
Thanks
It just simply wouldn't work. Money is the incentive for producers to produce goods and for workers to keep their jobs. Without money, no one would care if the economy f**cked up, no one will work properly and would rather sit on their arses and do nothing
HeroinAddict
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yr_11_MATHS)
It just simply wouldn't work. Money is the incentive for producers to produce goods and for workers to keep their jobs. Without money, no one would care if the economy f**cked up, no one will work properly and would rather sit on their arses and do nothing
I dont think OP is advocating for communism
HeroinAddict
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HeroinAddict)
I dont think OP is advocating for communism
I could be wrong tho. In that case, I offer free helicopter rides OP. Just for you! Corbyn is gonna be there too!

Anonymoususer16
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you mean the removal of physical cash and 100% use of digital payments? Or the removal of currency as we know it?
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, never, absolutely not!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MrMoment
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I presume the question regards cashless with respect to removing coins and notes from circulation, not cashless asin abolishing all narrow money!

Some thoughts I’d like to add. Consider the privacy aspect of a cashless system where all transactions are recorded. On one hand, it could prevent black markets etc. but does it just take away an aspect of personal liberty? Could recorded transactions and movement of money give more control to banks and corporations in the way of data in what we spend - is this trusted?
Also, assuming cashless means we use banks , can we fully trust banks? Would a cashless system make banks more inclined to make risks as they know people won’t suddenly withdraw if they lose confidence? But equally, banking and financial services generate vast sums of revenues and thus a cashless society may ensue more profit from the money held in banks.

A lot of questions, but just some thoughts that I’d consider.

Good luck
Last edited by MrMoment; 1 month ago
goggleyed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, there should always be several options

I still carry cash as a back up. it should never go cashless
ukrj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, cashless is a terrible idea. Do you really trust the government with your money? They could tax it directly or even confiscate it. at least with cash you can keep it away from their grubby fingers.
Rudav123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymoususer16)
Do you mean the removal of physical cash and 100% use of digital payments? Or the removal of currency as we know it?
The use of physical cash being removed - it would be the same as now in this scenario just without physical cash
Rudav123
Rep:
?
Still money, just not physically?
Rudav123
Rep:
?
(Original post by ukrj)
No, cashless is a terrible idea. Do you really trust the government with your money? They could tax it directly or even confiscate it. at least with cash you can keep it away from their grubby fingers.
Interesting point thank you
Rudav123
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrMoment)
I presume the question regards cashless with respect to removing coins and notes from circulation, not cashless asin abolishing all narrow money!

Some thoughts I’d like to add. Consider the privacy aspect of a cashless system where all transactions are recorded. On one hand, it could prevent black markets etc. but does it just take away an aspect of personal liberty? Could recorded transactions and movement of money give more control to banks and corporations in the way of data in what we spend - is this trusted?
Also, assuming cashless means we use banks , can we fully trust banks? Would a cashless system make banks more inclined to make risks as they know people won’t suddenly withdraw if they lose confidence? But equally, banking and financial services generate vast sums of revenues and thus a cashless society may ensue more profit from the money held in banks.

A lot of questions, but just some thoughts that I’d consider.

Good luck
Thank you for your questions, these will be very useful to think about
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No.
There should be several other options to choose from and to accommodate a range of payment preferences.
Relying solely on cashless has functionality, security, privacy and accessibility implications.
Hackers and cyber fraudsters would be delighted if a purely digital money system was introduced.
Rudav123
Rep:
?
(Original post by goggleyed)
No, there should always be several options

I still carry cash as a back up. it should never go cashless
True options are important, but could there possibly be enough options for currency outside of cash?
Rudav123
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
No.
There should be several other options to choose from and to accommodate a range of payment preferences.
Relying solely on cashless has functionality, security, privacy and accessibility implications.
Hackers and cyber fraudsters would be delighted if a purely digital money system was introduced.
Cash also contains many high risk security issues and a lack of this privacy can negative surrounding crime ...
goggleyed
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rudav123)
True options are important, but could there possibly be enough options for currency outside of cash?
nah bro, especially when cash has been king for too long

how are strippers gonna make their money? have men swipe their cards every time they feel aroused??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (903)
79.91%
Leave (227)
20.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed