Is it hard to get a 2.1/1.1? Watch

nabilahhh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Hammad(214508))
If you do what the Uni tells you, 2:1 should't be hard
I’ll have to start doing that haha. Reading the books they suggest would be the first thing on my to do list eek
kittenmittenz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Thank you.

Yeah, my mental health being poor made studying in my final year very difficult. The help I got from student support for both my mental and physical health problems were second to none. I definitely would've dropped out without it or just not passed at all. Do/did you get DSA at university? nabilahhh If you're struggling with your MH then it might be worth looking into getting DSA if you haven't already.
That's great to hear they supported you well, props to them. I haven't really looked into getting DSA as I don't think I "need" it, but if my mental health continues to significantly affect my performance in the future I might look into it; I've heard of people with depression/anxiety having mentors for their studies and unis making accomodations like extended deadlines/exams in other rooms and extra time etc., which could be useful. But yeah, don't want to apply for it unless I feel I really need it so we'll see how I get on haha!

@nabilahhh, that's true that things are kept confidential so you don't have to worry about word spreading or anything; simultaneously though your lecturers are approachable and can get to know students individually if you talk to them haha!

Good luck seeing the GP, it's really nothing to worry about. I went to the GP yesterday morning coincidentally upon the recommendation of a welfare tutor after a flare up and was a bit apprehensive, but was chill and nothing to worry about.

Also, I mean, due dates should've stopped me from being a last minute person, but here we are. After the holidays though I'm making an active effort to improve my work habits and stick to a good healthy general schedule; currently planning to go to the library ~8am-6pm (going to lectures and activities like sports etc. inbetween) on weekdays to (hopefully!) get all my uni work done.

2 exams is nice (I have 4 the second week back (and a test the first day back!) and still need to catch up with over a month of lectures lol xP I think I'll be good for it though ); if you understand the material well, 4 past papers should be good! (Some of our exams don't even have very relevant past papers as they've changed the format bleh.)

Good luck reading those books! (You don't have to read everything )
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kittenmittenz)
That's great to hear they supported you well, props to them. I haven't really looked into getting DSA as I don't think I "need" it, but if my mental health continues to significantly affect my performance in the future I might look into it; I've heard of people with depression/anxiety having mentors for their studies and unis making accomodations like extended deadlines/exams in other rooms and extra time etc., which could be useful. But yeah, don't want to apply for it unless I feel I really need it so we'll see how I get on haha!

@nabilahhh, that's true that things are kept confidential so you don't have to worry about word spreading or anything; simultaneously though your lecturers are approachable and can get to know students individually if you talk to them haha!

Good luck seeing the GP, it's really nothing to worry about. I went to the GP yesterday morning coincidentally upon the recommendation of a welfare tutor after a flare up and was a bit apprehensive, but was chill and nothing to worry about.

Also, I mean, due dates should've stopped me from being a last minute person, but here we are. After the holidays though I'm making an active effort to improve my work habits and stick to a good healthy general schedule; currently planning to go to the library ~8am-6pm (going to lectures and activities like sports etc. inbetween) on weekdays to (hopefully!) get all my uni work done.

2 exams is nice (I have 4 the second week back (and a test the first day back!) and still need to catch up with over a month of lectures lol xP I think I'll be good for it though ); if you understand the material well, 4 past papers should be good! (Some of our exams don't even have very relevant past papers as they've changed the format bleh.)

Good luck reading those books! (You don't have to read everything )
If your MH issues significantly affect your ability to study then I'd argue that you do need it, but I understand the apprehension about starting the process. I originally only got DSA for my physical problems, not my MH problems
Pinkisk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nabilahhh)
Our lecturers don’t really know we are because everything is kept confidential.
You mean they give you student numbers/ID that you use to submit your work? You think this keeps the work you submit confidential? If you do, you are very naive. Lecturers at Uni easily can and do link student ID to their actual names. They are not supposed to but they can and they do very very often.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 year ago
nabilahhh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pinkisk)
You mean they give you student numbers/ID that you use to submit your work? You think this keeps the work you submit confidential? If you do, you are very naive. Lecturers at Uni easily can and do link student ID to their actual names. They are not supposed to but they can and they do very very often.
Ok fair enough, but they don’t know us.
Quixote.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
2:1 is very doable. I'd be disappointed if I got less than that.

I got a first in my 1st year, just... 71% across 5 modules. That was despite not doing a couple of assignments in order to focus on others with heavier weighting, and sort of writing off my least favourite module all year (before pulling it back to a pretty respectable low 2:1 with my exam grade). I got 84 in my main module.

The main thing I think is consistency. If you have an assignment worth 20 or 30% of the year, and you get a 2:2, or low 2:1, it becomes quite hard to pull that back up as you'd need 80%+ in another 30% of the module. 70% is doable... but it can be difficult to go too far beyond that. So just make sure you're getting at least 65+ in the more important assignments and exams, and the chance to pull your overall grade up to a 70 with one or two solid results will always be there. Assignments tend to be easier to score high depending on the course you're doing, so it's better to try and smash those and go into the exams with an achievable target.
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Success in life is not easy. You got to put in the work, regardless of subject or if you’re God’s chosen one
Felicity Marx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As long as you go to all the lectures and put the work in it shouldn't be too hard, I'm getting firsts by quite a way just by actually doing the work
UniGrad23
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just wondering would be hard for me to get a 2.1 or a first in my first year of uni?

I study psychology btw
Depends on the course to be honest. However if there is a lot of group assignments you can just join a good group that is committed. P.S first year marks does not count towards your degree.
nabilahhh
Rep:
?
(Original post by UniGrad23)
Depends on the course to be honest. However if there is a lot of group assignments you can just join a good group that is committed. P.S first year marks does not count towards your degree.
Sadly we only have one group assignment and Yhh I know it doesn’t count 😭😭 but I’m really not tryna fail x
UniGrad23
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sadly we only have one group assignment and Yhh I know it doesn’t count 😭😭 but I’m really not tryna fail x
If it makes you feel any better I didn’t do that well in my first year. However it looks like I’m going to be ending up with a 2.1 degree because I got a whole bunch of high 60’s in my third year.
username3675786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on the uni. I'm at what's typically considered a top 5 uni in the UK, I got all A*'s at A Level, and even if I work on an essay incredibly hard, I struggle to get a first. I'm probably averaging a low 2:1 so far (first year).
RevisionNad
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's actually not.. it depends on the marks you get. So in essence if you do well and reach those higher marks then you get a higher total which distinguishes you from a 2.1 to first class. What my uni emphasised you need to do in order to reach first class answers is to show evidence of wider reading and understanding of the topic in question... but of course this depends on your uni course and syllabus. Know the syllabus well and you will excel!
Surajo Surajo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not easy to get 2.1 or first class at University, but the only way to obtain either of the two is to keep on working hard and prayer
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Surajo Surajo)
It's not easy to get 2.1 or first class at University, but the only way to obtain either of the two is to keep on working hard and prayer
I didn't pray and I got a first...lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (159)
60.69%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.2%
No- I want it (74)
28.24%
No- I don't want it (18)