Gazino
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I am currently studying my GCSE's in Northern Ireland. My current subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Digital Technology(IT), English Lang, English Lit, Moving Image Arts, Music, History, RE, Physics, and German.
My current grades for all of my subjects stand as all A*/A's except for German in which I have gotten a C in my last mock. In the mock previous to that, I barely cleared a D in German and I do not think I will be able to maintain a pass mark easily in German for the GCSE exam.
I want to study computer science for Uni and I don't want my GCSE German to get in the way of my other subjects. Although it is not a qualification, I am bilingual and 4 languages go around in my household so personally I do not think learning an extra language is necessary for myself. In fact German is currently the 7th language I've attempted at learning.

Will it be okay for me to drop GCSE German? And how will that effect me in applying for Computer Science?
Thank You.
Last edited by Gazino; 1 year ago
tomdean
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gazino)
Hello, I am currently studying my GCSE's in Northern Ireland. My current subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Digital Technology(IT), English Lang, English Lit, Moving Image Arts, Music, History, RE, Physics, and German.
My current grades for all of my subjects stand as all A*/A's except for German in which I have gotten a C in my last mock. In the mock previous to that, I barely cleared a D in German and I do not think I will be able to maintain a pass mark easily in German for the GCSE exam.
I want to study computer science for Uni and I don't want my GCSE German to get in the way of my other subjects. Although it is not a qualification, I am bilingual and 4 languages go around in my household so personally I do not think learning an extra language is necessary for myself. In fact German is currently the 7th language I've attempted at learning.

Will it be okay for me to drop GCSE German? And how will that effect me in applying for Computer Science?
Thank You.
If you're bilingual should you not just talk to your head of year and get the German GCSE swapped to the other language that you speak?
Gazino
Rep:
?
(Original post by tomdean)
If you're bilingual should you not just talk to your head of year and get the German GCSE swapped to the other language that you speak?
Thank you for the fast reply.
I was thinking of that from the start but looking at the iGCSE options, Korean(my second language), does not have an option for secondary language. It only has the first language option, where the level of it would match the normal English lit/lang GCSE. Whilst I'm fluent in Korean and speak like a native speaker, I'm definitely not native ability wise and am unable to write essays in Korean.
tomdean
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for the fast reply.
I was thinking of that from the start but looking at the iGCSE options, Korean(my second language), does not have an option for secondary language. It only has the first language option, where the level of it would match the normal English lit/lang GCSE. Whilst I'm fluent in Korean and speak like a native speaker, I'm definitely not native ability wise and am unable to write essays in Korean.
I would say talk to your teachers as they would know how to coach you through for at least a pass, could you do the foundation paper if you're not already
Gazino
Rep:
?
I would say talk to your teachers as they would know how to coach you through for at least a pass, could you do the foundation paper if you're not already
If I try very hard in the subject with my teachers, then yes I believe I will bring up a pass mark. But I am sure that my other subjects will suffer. If nothing works out, then I would consider doing the foundation paper.
I know that a modern language GCSE is a good GCSE to have in my report, but I was afraid in case that C or D among the A's will make the report look bad. I have found that a number of universities have it as a requirement for entry, but the numbers are few and I doubt GCSE modern languages provides a big significant advantage over others.
I just wanted to know how much would this choice of dropping it affect me and my future. As for now, I personally don't see a big point of doing the GCSE and barely getting a pass mark.
tomdean
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If I try very hard in the subject with my teachers, then yes I believe I will bring up a pass mark. But I am sure that my other subjects will suffer. If nothing works out, then I would consider doing the foundation paper.
I know that a modern language GCSE is a good GCSE to have in my report, but I was afraid in case that C or D among the A's will make the report look bad. I have found that a number of universities have it as a requirement for entry, but the numbers are few and I doubt GCSE modern languages provides a big significant advantage over others.
I just wanted to know how much would this choice of dropping it affect me and my future. As for now, I personally don't see a big point of doing the GCSE and barely getting a pass mark.
Would your parents and the school allow you to drop the subject? I would try and drop the subject too as during an interview you could speak some korean and the interviewers would probably impressed and explain to them that you would have taken korean if it was an option
Gazino
Rep:
?
Would your parents and the school allow you to drop the subject? I would try and drop the subject too as during an interview you could speak some korean and the interviewers would probably impressed and explain to them that you would have taken korean if it was an option
Yes, My Parents are all for it. I have spoken to my head of languages but no matter how I explain to her, she wouldn't allow it. I'm not sure if she is allowed to do that. But she told me she will have a talk with me again after my winter mocks. I am planning to fail the German mock deliberately and concentrate on my other subjects if I definitely am not going to do German, but I realized I will have to make that choice right now.
Thanks for the suggestion about the Korean in the interview. I will make sure to do that.
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Once you drop it you should be able to do Korean as an extra GCSE, evening the amount of subjects out
tomdean
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, My Parents are all for it. I have spoken to my head of languages but no matter how I explain to her, she wouldn't allow it. I'm not sure if she is allowed to do that. But she told me she will have a talk with me again after my winter mocks. I am planning to fail the German mock deliberately and concentrate on my other subjects if I definitely am not going to do German, but I realized I will have to make that choice right now.
Thanks for the suggestion about the Korean in the interview. I will make sure to do that.
It might actually be for the best to completely fail it, you could just write all the answers in Korean 😂
Gazino
Rep:
?
It might actually be for the best to completely fail it, you could just write all the answers in Korean 😂
That is an excellent idea. I'm not so sure about the speaking exam though 😂😂
Gazino
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpaprika)
Once you drop it you should be able to do Korean as an extra GCSE, evening the amount of subjects out
I'm afraid iGCSE Korean second language does not exists. I'm not sure why. There's a first language option, but it is as hard as the English Lit/Lang exam. My Korean may be fluent but it ability wise it isn't as good as my English. This is why I was considering just dropping it and forget about languages, concentrate on the other subjects.
emilynxlan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bit of a stretch but my sister had to go through this route - get your doctor to write you a note explaining German is causing you stress and is really affecting you - your school will pretty much have to oblige and let you drop it
DaQuestioner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly, just drop it, mate. What grade would you get if you did Korean, do you think? If it's higher than your grades for German, go for Korean instead. If you don't know what you'd be better at, find some practice papers off somewhere for Korean and then compare the grades. And I'd arrange a meeting for your parents and your teachers to discuss this if I were you. I know teachers don't always listen to students, but parents getting involved gives them an extra push , or maybe get them to write a formal email (that always scares my teachers ).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (196)
61.64%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.77%
No- I want it (88)
27.67%
No- I don't want it (22)