University of St Andrews fee status query Watch

es0ter1c
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm wondering if the fee status eg. home (Scotland/EU), rUK... effects the likelihood of receiving an offer from the university.
Last edited by es0ter1c; 1 year ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by es0ter1c)
I'm wondering if the fee status eg. home (Scotland/EU), RUK... effects the likelihood of receiving an offer from the university.
it does, significantly.
es0ter1c
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
it does, significantly
which classification/assessment tend to have the highest offer rate?
Capricancer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by es0ter1c)
which classification/assessment tend to have the highest offer rate?
This is just based on Freedom of Information (FOI) requests for overall offer rates for undergrads (i.e. for all courses, some courses e.g. IR/Econ/Management will be more competitive than others e.g. Art History/Geology):
- Internationals (60-70% offer rate typically)
- rUK (45-50% offer rate typically)
- Scottish (35-45% offer rate typically)
- EU (5-15% offer rate typically)
gt14
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you think its worth appealing... dual national, both parents are too, used to live in the EU
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gt14)
Do you think its worth appealing... dual national, both parents are too, used to live in the EU
it's based on where you have been living for the last 3 years
gt14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's based on where you have been living for the last 3 years
I have lived in the UK for the last 3 years, but classed as an EU returner as lived in the EU when I was 8-9
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gt14)
I have lived in the UK for the last 3 years, but classed as an EU returner as lived in the EU when I was 8-9
i've never heard of the concept of an EU returner so i would look into whether you have grounds to appeal. bear in mind your fees will be 9k a year if you get in as an RUK student
gt14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i've never heard of the concept of an EU returner so i would look into whether you have grounds to appeal. bear in mind your fees will be 9k a year if you get in as an RUK student
I’d rather pay RUK fees and go to St. Andrews than pay them and go to Bristol lol
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gt14)
I’d rather pay RUK fees and go to St. Andrews than pay them and go to Bristol lol
i suppose. good luck as i am absolutely sure it counts as discrimination not to treat you according to your residence for the last 3 years, especially if you only lived in the rEU for a bit
gt14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i suppose. good luck as i am absolutely sure it counts as discrimination not to treat you according to your residence for the last 3 years, especially if you only lived in the rEU for a bit
Thank you! If anyone has any experience of this it would be greatly appreciated. Do you think I could appeal it after a rejection or would it yield “I’m sorry but we had a particularly strong field of applicants this year” response and them flatly denying it had anything to do with fee status?
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gt14)
Thank you! If anyone has any experience of this it would be greatly appreciated. Do you think I could appeal it after a rejection or would it yield “I’m sorry but we had a particularly strong field of applicants this year” response and them flatly denying it had anything to do with fee status?
definitely don't wait until you've been rejected as they won't review the same application
mo2019
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
would it be possible to contest a descision where i was classified as home (scotland/EU) based on a parents nationality when i have lived in England all of my life?
Last edited by mo2019; 1 year ago
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mo2019)
would it be possible to contest a descision where i was classified as home (scotland/EU) based on a parents nationality when i have lived in England all of my life?
yes if you have lived in England all your life you are a rUK applicant and they have made an administrative error
gt14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes if you have lived in England all your life you are a rUK applicant and they have made an administrative error
Look at the Edinburgh website. It states that parents dual nationality leads to being classified as EU. It’s not a very transparent system. Not sure I have grounds for appeal after seeing the Edinburgh website.
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ask for a fee redetermination. The rules differ from uni to uni.

gt14
gt14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Airmed)
Ask for a fee redetermination. The rules differ from uni to uni.

gt14
Do you have any experience with the Scottish unis? Me and parents are all dual, lived in the EU for a year 2008-2009... I get the impression an appeal will be futilw
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gt14)
Do you have any experience with the Scottish unis? Me and parents are all dual, lived in the EU for a year 2008-2009... I get the impression an appeal will be futilw
Yes, I do, went to uni in Scotland and worked in Clearing, UCAS trained. Like I said, rules differ from uni to uni
gt14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Airmed)
Yes, I do, went to uni in Scotland and worked in Clearing, UCAS trained. Like I said, rules differ from uni to uni
Ok thank you
username4336142
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was born in Switzerland, lived there for the first 13 months of my life, because of my fathers job. I have lived exclusively in England since then. I am British, have a British birth certificate, passport etc. Both parents British. However I have been classified as Home/EU by St Andrews and would rather not be because of the strict quotas.
I asked for a fee redetermination yesterday and got this reply today:
“As all of the above criteria are fulfilled by your circumstances, we are legally obliged to assess your fee status as Home (Scotland/EU). Applicants cannot choose their fee status - it must be assessed within the confines of the legislation”
I would suggest anyone with doubts or queries approaches them directly and you will get a quick, definitive answer. I’m pretty disappointed as my chances of an offer have dipped to about 5-10%
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
13.01%
1 (89)
13.01%
2 (88)
12.87%
18.86%
22.37%
19.88%

Watched Threads