Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blonde.)
x^3 - 4x^2 + x + 6

please help i've been trying for ages
Can you guess a root?

Try the factors of 6 (and their -ve versions)

Then employ the factor theorem and long division.
Blonde.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
Can you guess a root?

idk where to start I tried guessing but it is wrong

can you explain why it has to be factors of 6, or how you'd guess a root - based on what?, and how the factor theorem and long division comes into factorising this?
Yr_11_MATHS
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
x^3 - 4x^2 + x + 6

please help i've been trying for ages
You have to try many numbers to see if they're a factor... most common ones for A level are 1 (x-1) and 2(x-2)... if not then use your calculator to factorise it for you and then use one of the factors to divide the equation by so that you get a quadratic which can be solved using completing the square....
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
idk where to start I tried guessing but it is wrong

can you explain why it has to be factors of 6, or how you'd guess a root - based on what?, and how the factor theorem and long division comes into factorising this?
Let's take a quadratic equation case for example. Suppose we know two roots of it, and call them \alpha,\beta. Then we know we can factorise this quadratic into the form (x-\alpha)(x-\beta) = 0. But now if we expand the LHS we get x^2 - (\alpha + \beta)x + \alpha\beta = 0. Notice that the constant term is precisely the product \alpha\beta of our roots. This idea extends to any polynomial, so your cubic included.

This means we can look at the constant term 6 and start testing its factors (as well as their -ve versions) to see whether any of them satisfy the equation.

This means you want to test x = \pm 1, \pm 2, \pm 3, \pm 6 by substituting them one at a time into the cubic and seeing if any of them satisfy it.

Once you find one number which does, let's call it a, then by the Factor Theorem we know that x-a is a factor of the cubic.

This means we can use long division to divide the cubic by x-a and end up with a quadratic which is more obvious to solve and obtain the other two roots out of.
Last edited by RDKGames; 1 year ago
Blonde.
Rep:
?
Can you guess a root?

(Original post by Yr_11_MATHS)
You have to try many numbers to see if they're a factor... most common ones for A level are 1 (x-1) and 2(x-2)... if not then use your calculator to factorise it for you and then use one of the factors to divide the equation by so that you get a quadratic which can be solved using completing the square....
I worked it out by trial and error to be (x-3)(x-2)(x+1)
but i hate this method it makes me doubt everything I'm doing. Is there another way?
Blonde.
Rep:
?
Let's take a quadratic equation case for example. Suppose we know two roots of it, and call them \alpha,\beta. Then we know we can factorise this quadratic into the form (x-\alpha)(x-\beta) = 0. But now if we expand the LHS we get x^2 - (\alpha + \beta)x + \alpha\beta = 0. Notice that the constant term is precisely the product \alpha\beta of our roots. This idea extends to any polynomial, so your cubic included.

This means we can look at the constant term 6 and start testing its factors (as well as their -ve versions) to see whether any of them satisfy the equation.

This means you want to test x = \pm 1, \pm 2, \pm 3, \pm 6 by substituting them one at a time into the cubic and seeing if any of them satisfy it.

Once you find one number which does, let's call it a, then by the Factor Theorem we know that x-a is a factor of the cubic.

This means we can use long division to divide the cubic by x-a and end up with a quadratic which is more obvious to solve and obtain the other two roots out of.
thank you so much, that clears up everything wow
Yr_11_MATHS
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I worked it out by trial and error to be (x-3)(x-2)(x+1)
but i hate this method it makes me doubt everything I'm doing. Is there another way?
The first bit is the trial and error bit, I always use the calculator to tell me a point in which the line intersects the X axis. Then I will normally divide the factor by the equation and solve from there. There's not really a quick way to do it unless you know two roots alpha and beta in which you could do alpha+beta=-b/a and alpha*beta = c/a... but that will be getting into further maths content but still does the trick
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.64%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (110)
16.72%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.81%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (52)
7.9%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (129)
19.6%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.78%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed