The Student Room Group

alternative mode of assessment to exam?! anyone's MH affect their exams?

Hi all,

I am doing my Masters in Psychology at a red brick Uni. I achieved a 1st Class Bsc undergraduate from Durham. I have 4 A/A*s at A-level and I feel like I can achieve so well on this course. I have received coursework back (worth 60% of this semester) and have achieved 80%.

During my final year at Durham I had MH difficulties including depression and anxiety. Because of panic disorder I wasn't able to attend my last exam - but I still aggregated at a First and so the University decided to give me the 1st anyway (even though I obviously scored 0 for the exam).

I have had worsening MH since I graduated - especially disassociation, depression, eating problems and anxiety. I study all day (about 13 hours) (i don't eat lunch for example if I wake up late). These problems have prevented me from attending a KCL PhD interview this summer (because I think I will have a PA or not be able to speak on the day). It has also meant that after 6 weeks of solid revision and a definite grasp of the concepts during this module, I could not attend the exam.

my current uni have been understanding about this and said I can resit in March. But I don't think delaying it has solved anything. I have an inability to sit them - I had diazepam this time and it didn't work.

i was wondering if it would be possible with medical evidence of my problems to ask for reasonable adjustment for the exams (they are only worth 30%) and have another longer extended coursework piece to do?

I am honestly at a loss and so stressed and disheartened that I will not be able to do this MSc because of my own stupid fear and MH
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by helpsaz
Hi all,

I am doing my Masters in Psychology at a red brick Uni. I achieved a 1st Class Bsc undergraduate from Durham. I have 4 A/A*s at A-level and I feel like I can achieve so well on this course. I have received coursework back (worth 60% of this semester) and have achieved 80%.

During my final year at Durham I had MH difficulties including depression and anxiety. Because of panic disorder I wasn't able to attend my last exam - but I still aggregated at a First and so the University decided to give me the 1st anyway (even though I obviously scored 0 for the exam).

I have had worsening MH since I graduated - especially disassociation, depression, eating problems and anxiety. These problems have prevented me from attending a KCL PhD interview this summer (because I think I will have a PA or not be able to speak on the day). It has also meant that after 6 weeks of solid revision and a definite grasp of the concepts during this module, I could not attend the exam.

my current uni have been understanding about this and said I can resit in March. But I don't think delaying it has solved anything. I have an inability to sit them - I had diazepam this time and it didn't work.

i was wondering if it would be possible with medical evidence of my problems to ask for reasonable adjustment for the exams (they are only worth 30%) and have another longer extended coursework piece to do?

I am honestly at a loss and so stressed and disheartened that I will not be able to do this MSc because of my own stupid fear and MH

It's more likely that they would offer you many adjustments to the exam itself before they offering you an alternative assessment entirely, have you been offered rest breaks and sitting the exam in a separate room?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
It's more likely that they would offer you many adjustments to the exam itself before they offering you an alternative assessment entirely, have you been offered rest breaks and sitting the exam in a separate room?

Thanks for your reply.

I was offered these in Durham but they were not effective and I ended up so anxious before the exam that I panicked. I think I now have an ongoing fear since I couldnt make it into that exam :frown:

I am always commuting to Uni once a week whilst working FT at home. The commute takes around 2hrs. I stay over the night before usually in airbnbs. The panic therefore stops me attending the night before - it's not like i can just turn up on the day if i feel okay.

I feel stuck - do you think this may be taken into consideration?

I have a needs assessment next week,
Original post by helpsaz
Thanks for your reply.

I was offered these in Durham but they were not effective and I ended up so anxious before the exam that I panicked. I think I now have an ongoing fear since I couldnt make it into that exam :frown:

I am always commuting to Uni once a week whilst working FT at home. The commute takes around 2hrs. I stay over the night before usually in airbnbs. The panic therefore stops me attending the night before - it's not like i can just turn up on the day if i feel okay.

I feel stuck - do you think this may be taken into consideration?

I have a needs assessment next week,

I think the needs assessment is a good start, they may take the travel into consideration but i think it's rare to be offered an alternative assessment. Do you feel comfortable asking your doctor if an alternative treatment might help you if the diazepam didn't work? many universities have counselling services you can access for some advice too.
Reply 4
I would recommend getting a referral to a psychiatrist if you haven't done so already. It sounds like your MH issues are quite complex. It's good that you're having a needs assessment, I assume for DSA?

When I was at university I had all the same assessments as everyone else, but with adjustments because of my mental health issues and physical disability. The adjustments were taking the exam on my own, with the same invigilator, no more than one exam in one day, no exams on consecutive days, extra writing time and extra non-writing time, and access to a computer or scribe depending on my level of issues on the day (sometimes I can't type, but I can never write). I was also able to resit one exam uncapped in my final year due to extenuating circumstances (which were partly due to my MH issues). Your needs assessor will be able to work with you to find out what the best course of action will be to help you manage your MH alongside your studying and how to best support you during exams.

Quick Reply

Latest