Turn on thread page Beta

Are Uni freshers parties overrated/awkward/not nice? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know, weird question, but I have autism. So I need to know.

I look average, but I don't really like talking to people as I get stressed when there are awkward silences, and I hate eye contact so don't know where to look.

Is there a lot of talking in parties, or just dancing?

Are they really that fun? Are people rude/judgemental?

Should i go, or stay in my room?

ReputationRep:
    Nah man you should totally go dude, like seriously dude rock on, we can smoke some pot or drink some questionable tequila I bought, ROCK OOOOOON🤘 :rock:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the type of party. One's in someone's accommodation would most likely involve talking but a more club setting is much more so dancing and singing along to the songs that come on where you'd get away without not having a conversation all night.

Good Luck and hope you enjoy your parties!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oneiropólos)
    Nah man you should totally go dude, like seriously dude rock on, we can smoke some pot or drink some questionable tequila I bought, ROCK OOOOOON🤘 :rock:
    I am a teetotaler, so I can't drink tequila sorry.

Also, it's not that easy for me to 'rock on'. I have autism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by botchbananza)

I look average, but I don't really like talking to people as I get stressed when there are awkward silences, and I hate eye contact so don't know where to look.

Hey Brother,

Nothing to worry about I promise you. When i went to uni I was crazy nervous as like you probably I had had a set group of friends in life up until then so having to make new ones was going to be long af.
    But my biggest piece of advice is EVERYONE and i mean literally EVERYONE will be feeling the same as you. Yes there are those over confident guys but everyone in general doesnt know each other so will be kinda awks at the beginning. But just know your not alone in the awkwardness lol

Just be yourself. The university parties are fine, just get drunk and see where the night takes you. If you want you can re-invent yourself but I wouldnt recommend it. Everyone makes friends at university, and if your quiet, there will also be quiet people like you who may not like the idea of uni parties also so make friends with them if need be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.H.Rahman)
    Depends on the type of party. One's in someone's accommodation would most likely involve talking but a more club setting is much more so dancing and singing along to the songs that come on where you'd get away without not having a conversation all night.

Good Luck and hope you enjoy your parties!
    Cheers!

I think I'll try just one club style party

ReputationRep:
    I am a teetotaler, so I can't drink tequila sorry.

Also, it's not that easy for me to 'rock on'. I have autism
    All I’m saying is you won’t go to Uni twice, you get one chance to be a kid again before you are submerged into the icey hell that is the employment market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verastem999)
    Hey Brother,

Nothing to worry about I promise you. When i went to uni I was crazy nervous as like you probably I had had a set group of friends in life up until then so having to make new ones was going to be long af.
    But my biggest piece of advice is EVERYONE and i mean literally EVERYONE will be feeling the same as you. Yes there are those over confident guys but everyone in general doesnt know each other so will be kinda awks at the beginning. But just know your not alone in the awkwardness lol

Just be yourself. The university parties are fine, just get drunk and see where the night takes you. If you want you can re-invent yourself but I wouldnt recommend it. Everyone makes friends at university, and if your quiet, there will also be quiet people like you who may not like the idea of uni parties also so make friends with them if need be!
    Thanks, but I'm a teetotaler so don't drink. But I guess I should- do you think it will help with my autism/awkwardness

ReputationRep:
    All I’m saying is you won’t go to Uni twice, you get one chance to be a kid again before you are submerged into the icey hell that is the employment market.
    the kid has autism you **** - im sure if he was fully capable of not having these feeling of awkwardness and was fully able to immerse himself into uni life he would do just that....

ReputationRep:
    I understand. I don't want to miss out on anything. But won't go to events that make me too stressed

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but I'm a teetotaler so don't drink. But I guess I should- do you think it will help with my autism/awkwardness
    It would 100% help with the awkwardness but I am not sure of the effects on autism bro - I dont wanna influence you to do anything your not comfortable doing tho but having a few beers - maybe just two if its your first time - shouldnt **** u up too badly

ReputationRep:
    the kid has autism you **** - im sure if he was fully capable of not having these feeling of awkwardness and was fully able to immerse himself into uni life he would do just that....
    Yes. Thank you. That is what I have been trying to get across

ReputationRep:
    I understand. I don't want to miss out on anything. But won't go to events that make me too stressed
    Yh sure that’s fine, enjoy yourself when you see suitable, have fun

ReputationRep:
    Woah easy there buddy, you might hurt my feelings with that terrible terrible cuss word, if you put aside your keyboard for a second and took a break from being such a bada$$ you’d understand that I meant he should have fun in suitable amounts where he sees fit, you can have your keyboard back now

ReputationRep:
    Don't use autism as an excuse. E.g. u say I should do this cuz im autistic but if it's uncomfortable then don't do it. It's not that deep bro and no it won't be awkward unless u make it , by which i mean, u got dis g

ReputationRep:
    I'm similar to yourself- I don't cope well in large groups, I don't do small talk/meaningless talk and eye contact is also an issue for me. However, I did go to one or two events. I went to a small gathering at a friend's flat, where there were about 6 of us, before they went into the SU then on into town. I realised about ten mins in that it wasn't for me, so I left before they went into the SU. I now know what type of events I can cope with etc. Maybe go to one if you can, but take someone you know well with you if you can. I do that to most events so that I know I can escape from the situation when I need to. At least if you go once you will know for future? I don't really drink either, and I become anxious around drunk people, so the entire environment isn't ideal for me. Much prefer a quiet game of pool in a pub or a get-together with 2 or 3 people in a pub/bar than a party type scene. It might seem boring to some people, but I know that it's what suits me. That's the important part: try new things and experiences, but don't sit through endless awkward and uncomfortable situations that you can't cope with just for the experience. I tried it: it's not worth it. All the best!

ReputationRep:
    Better go and see, than regret not going for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:

I would recommend trying it to see if you like it.

If you're on about a flat party, then it's basically just talking (and it's before you go clubbing) and ngl it's quite awkward if you're not a talker - also the music is quite loud. But you can always leave and nobody will notice.

Then clubbing, just beware if you're sensitive to audio and flashing lights etc because it's pretty overwhelming and at this point people are mainly drunk so it really doesn't matter. Advice - download uber, because I noped out of the club after a while and just went back to accommodation.

But don't feel like you need to do it or whatever because of the norm etc.

ReputationRep:
    yeah they are great I got loads of pussy from parties.

ReputationRep:
    At freshers week nobody can afford to be judgemental, as they're all gagging for friends due to some slightly irrational fear about going through the entirety of uni with no friends if they don't acquire some within week one.

That means being generally 'different' and your eye contact thing are incredibly likely to get a free pass. With regards to awkward silences, you tend not to have any as everybody feels obligated to get every other person's life story (You get tired of being asked where you're from and what A levels you did by day 2), so they're usually filled nicely up until the point where everybody gets more drunk, in which case the silence is then filled by people chatting ****. In short: Freshers flat parties don't have that many flaws as long as you don't overthink them too hard. That said, if you find yourself needing to make a quick escape from one anyway, you can always pretend you're getting an important phone call, leave the flat and never return. Just remember, it's people you don't really know. They're not going to get particularly hurt by it.

As for clubs, you'll have to just go and see, they very hit and miss. I only like certain clubs with certain friends, a lot of the time I'd rather be literally anywhere else. Other people seem to find that going to a club is something that has to be done on any sesh, for reasons I don't understand. Go and see where your opinions lie, but get yourself a taxi number or the uber app in advance so you can make yourself disappear if you turn up and decide it's ****. Speaking from experience, sticking it out till closing when you don't actually like the place seriously isn't worth it.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.