The Student Room Group

URGENT can you pay with cash on london buses?

I'll be going to london for the day and will need to use the bus there, i looked at london transport and it says you can't pay with cash, is this true? What can I do to get on the bus?
Reply 1
Hey, no you can’t use cash. You’ll have to go to a tube station and buy a daily travel card (best option), which will give you access to all tubes and buses etc travelling within the zones you buy it for.
Reply 2
Original post by I Wear A Fez Now
Hey, no you can’t use cash. You’ll have to go to a tube station and buy a daily travel card (best option), which will give you access to all tubes and buses etc travelling within the zones you buy it for.

Can I buy it from the Euston? That's where the train will be dropping me off or will I have to go elsewhere? How much is a daily travel card?
Reply 3
I meant Euston station
Reply 4
If you have a contactless debit card, use that whenever you go on a new bus or enter and leave a TfL train station. Buses are always £1.50 each (or £1.50 in total if you use two buses within the same hour) and trains will take more money depending on which zones you are travelling within (exact prices can be found online).
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Can I buy it from the Euston? That's where the train will be dropping me off or will I have to go elsewhere? How much is a daily travel card?

A day travel pass may not be worth the money, unless you're going to switch buses 10 times and use the train another 15 times.
Reply 6
i don't have a contactless debit card, I'll have to get an oyster card but how much top up would I need. I only need one bus to and back to euston station but not within the hour. I'll be returning around an hour later
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
i don't have a contactless debit card, I'll have to get an oyster card but how much top up would I need. I only need one bus to and back to euston station but not within the hour. I'll be returning around an hour later

i meant i'll be returning a few hours later
Reply 8
Original post by DrDanB
A day travel pass may not be worth the money, unless you're going to switch buses 10 times and use the train another 15 times.

what about a visitor oyster card?
Reply 9
If you are certain you only need one bus from Euston Station...

If you already have an oyster card, you'll need to top up with £3 (£1.50 there and back).

If you don't already have an oyster card, you'll need to buy one for a £5.00 deposit (which you can get back if you return the oyster card at a ticket machine + any excess credit on it) and top up with £3.00.
Original post by DrDanB
If you are certain you only need one bus from Euston Station...

If you already have an oyster card, you'll need to top up with £3 (£1.50 there and back).

If you don't already have an oyster card, you'll need to buy one for a £5.00 deposit (which you can get back if you return the oyster card at a ticket machine + any excess credit on it) and top up with £3.00.

thanks, where can I buy an oyster card from? Is it near the euston rail station?
Reply 11
No, you'll have to go to the closest TfL underground station. This should be Euston Square Station, so just ask for directions then assistance at the underground station.
Original post by DrDanB
No, you'll have to go to the closest TfL underground station. This should be Euston Square Station, so just ask for directions then assistance at the underground station.

ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest