The Student Room Group

Conditional offer from big uni but criminal record soon

So I just got offered a place for masters degree next September at a very prestigious uni. However, I’m also waiting to go court for a stupid crime that I committed last summer ( couple weeks after I graduated , currently on gap year). The crime is neither violent or fraudulent in nature, although it does involving drugs (not selling). it is serious enough to Warrent a few weeks in prison although my lawyer is hoping it can get suspended. So what’s my chances of still keeping my place at the uni.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the north

Depends a bit what the course is. Philosophy, history, English, lab sciences etc, the Uni probably aren't even going to ask. Something related to finance, law, business etc, the problem will be less at Uni and more getting a job after. Something related to healthcare, probably an issue.

The issue for Uni's is a) are you safe to be in shared accommodation - your case suggests yes. And b) can you pursue a professional career related to the degree afterwards - and they only have to be strict on those professions where the degree and entry to the profession are specifically linked.
Just to add, it might pose a problem in education. You could explain it but it may be more convoluted when it comes to the ethics part of research.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Depends a bit what the course is. Philosophy, history, English, lab sciences etc, the Uni probably aren't even going to ask. Something related to finance, law, business etc, the problem will be less at Uni and more getting a job after. Something related to healthcare, probably an issue.

The issue for Uni's is a) are you safe to be in shared accommodation - your case suggests yes. And b) can you pursue a professional career related to the degree afterwards - and they only have to be strict on those professions where the degree and entry to the profession are specifically linked.

Well I’m pursuing an engineering course, you reckon they will be strict in regards to that?

I am aware of people who committed worse crimes than I who have been able to go to university. The promblem is that the uni I want to go to is imperial college, a very prestigious uni and might not want an ex-offender student (especially considering it will be very recent)
Reply 4
Original post by darshvader
Just to add, it might pose a problem in education. You could explain it but it may be more convoluted when it comes to the ethics part of research.

I don’t understand your point. Do you mean if I’m pursuing a career in education?
Well I’m pursuing an engineering course, you reckon they will be strict in regards to that?

I am aware of people who committed worse crimes than I who have been able to go to university. The promblem is that the uni I want to go to is imperial college, a very prestigious uni and might not want an ex-offender student (especially considering it will be very recent)

Doubt there will be an issue with engineering. Also if it was just using drugs then you probably wont get convicted if it is a first offence.
So I just got offered a place for masters degree next September at a very prestigious uni. However, I’m also waiting to go court for a stupid crime that I committed last summer ( couple weeks after I graduated , currently on gap year). The crime is neither violent or fraudulent in nature, although it does involving drugs (not selling). it is serious enough to Warrent a few weeks in prison although my lawyer is hoping it can get suspended. So what’s my chances of still keeping my place at the uni.

Thank you

just to say, I attended a big name university after a conviction for violent crime, it wasn't an issue as I explained it to them. Also, Lavinia Woodward the girl who stabbed her boyfriend was offered to continue study at Oxford but chose not to. I think you'll be fine, would recommend being honest and open.
I don’t understand your point. Do you mean if I’m pursuing a career in education?

Yes, sorry. In the field of education. It can get a tad sticky.

Congrats on getting a place at Imperial tho!

I don't think it's going to be an issue for Engineering subjects... you're not responsible for children or vunerable people, and you're not looking after finances or anything like that.

If you've already got the offer, how are they going to find out? They can't just rock up to their local police station and ask for this sort of thing... the main way they're likely to find out is if it's a high-profile case and they hear about it through some kind of media outlet. Of course if you're unlucky and you do get a custodial sentence, if you're detained when the course starts or you're unable to attend any induction courses you have to attend.
Reply 9
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I don't think it's going to be an issue for Engineering subjects... you're not responsible for children or vunerable people, and you're not looking after finances or anything like that.

If you've already got the offer, how are they going to find out? They can't just rock up to their local police station and ask for this sort of thing... the main way they're likely to find out is if it's a high-profile case and they hear about it through some kind of media outlet. Of course if you're unlucky and you do get a custodial sentence, if you're detained when the course starts or you're unable to attend any induction courses you have to attend.

They might hear about it from this thread lol

He's named the uni and the course
Reply 10
Original post by Old Skool Freak

Yes I thought about that but I feel I’ll have to be open and honest with them because I heard any misinformation and they may remove the offer.
Reply 11
Original post by bihplease123
just to say, I attended a big name university after a conviction for violent crime, it wasn't an issue as I explained it to them. Also, Lavinia Woodward the girl who stabbed her boyfriend was offered to continue study at Oxford but chose not to. I think you'll be fine, would recommend being honest and open.

This gives me hope lol

Thank you

I used to work for the HM Courts and Tribunals, specifically East Kent Magistrates' Courts.

You say your crime didn't involve the sale of drugs. I'd be shocked if you get a custodial sentence unless your crime did involve any of the following: feeding drugs to somebody else without their knowledge (e.g. like spiking their food/drink), causing severe injury/death/large scale property damage by driving under the influence of drugs, or attempting to cross an international border with a large quantity of drugs in your possession.

If it's the first time you've been charged with a criminal offence, and it's just possession and the CPS don't have any evidence suggesting you intended to share those drugs with anybody else... You might get a conditional discharge or (probably worst case scenario) a community order.

Unlikely they're going to give you a custodial sentence - suspended or otherwise - unless you've been convicted on criminal charges at least twice before. Even then, almost definitely never going to happen for mere possession for personal use.

Prestige doesn't alter perceptions of how to respond to a criminal record. I doubt very much they will even ask the question.

Thank you

I have heard of quite a few cases where the student has had a conviction and can still continue. I actually worked with a doctor who had been a convicted drug dealer - he turned his life around and was allowed to start training - this was years ago though.

Look we are all allowed one stupid thing in life - let it be the last one that you do. ( My friend has two drink driving convictions - always been upfront about them and always got jobs, placements etc - yes not Imperial but even so - be honest if you are asked)

Oh and well done.

Thank you

If you go to prison you will lose your place....... what was it you did.
Reply 16
Original post by insouciancedward
I used to work for the HM Courts and Tribunals, specifically East Kent Magistrates' Courts.

You say your crime didn't involve the sale of drugs. I'd be shocked if you get a custodial sentence unless your crime did involve any of the following: feeding drugs to somebody else without their knowledge (e.g. like spiking their food/drink), causing severe injury/death/large scale property damage by driving under the influence of drugs, or attempting to cross an international border with a large quantity of drugs in your possession.

If it's the first time you've been charged with a criminal offence, and it's just possession and the CPS don't have any evidence suggesting you intended to share those drugs with anybody else... You might get a conditional discharge or (probably worst case scenario) a community order.

Unlikely they're going to give you a custodial sentence - suspended or otherwise - unless you've been convicted on criminal charges at least twice before. Even then, almost definitely never going to happen for mere possession for personal use.

The crime is conveying prohibited item into hm prison the item being some tobacco and weed. My lawyer says it’s 50/50 I’ll get custodial sentence since it is my first offence and it was a small amount
Reply 17
Original post by Mr smile
If you go to prison you will lose your place....... what was it you did.

Why would it matter if I go prison or not since I’m going to plead guilty.
Reply 18
Original post by threeportdrift
Prestige doesn't alter perceptions of how to respond to a criminal record. I doubt very much they will even ask the question.

I’m sure they will ask questions if I inform them that I was charged though but yes I just wanted to be sure
The crime is conveying prohibited item into hm prison the item being some tobacco and weed. My lawyer says it’s 50/50 I’ll get custodial sentence since it is my first offence and it was a small amount

The problem you have is that. the courts are cracking down on all this......

Quick Reply

Latest