Tories call a vote on a new PM Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Tories have now submitted the magic 48 letters to the Chairman of the 1922 Committee to enable a no-confidence vote of Conservative MPs on the PM.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46535739

Theresa May will face the vote this evening. After that, all bets are off.

The process.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45953182
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If she's gone what can the new PM do? The EU accept nothing but submission remember. What David Cameron asked for, JC referred to what Tony Blair agreed with
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
I'm so bored of Tory chaos.

If she wins (and is therefore safe for a year), I hope she turns against the ERG and supports a much softer - or better yet, no - Brexit. One can dream. :moon:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello_shawn)
If she's gone what can the new PM do? The EU accept nothing but submission remember. What David Cameron asked for, JC referred to what Tony Blair agreed with
Precisely. It will make not the least difference, if anything, I think the fact that the Tories would have replaced her in an all-too obvious attempt to get a 'tougher' negotiator into the talks would go down like a lead balloon in most EU countries.

Anyway, this isn't really about Brexit but about the cynical seizing of moments by the sort of ghastly self-admiring people who are the very worst possible choices of leader - Boris, Andrea, etc, you know who you are.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
I'm so bored of Tory chaos.

If she wins (and is therefore safe for a year), I hope she turns against the ERG and supports a much softer - or better yet, no - Brexit. One can dream. :moon:
She is still up against the ghastly DUP and their idiotic red lines, none of which make any sense to a rational person, given that they themselves are in favour of numerous legislative and political differences for NI from the rest of the country. We are living in a sort of Alice in Wonderland tea party, where nothing truly makes sense.
ineedamarkscheme
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really dangerous territory now. It seems a leadership election would lead to a hard brexiteer coronation and chaos.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by ineedamarkscheme)
Really dangerous territory now. It seems a leadership election would lead to a hard brexiteer coronation and chaos.
I think we're heading that way anyway, as it's clear that May can't and won't get her agreement to cover the interim period through and this is all self-generated by her government, which forced through Article 50 before they needed to and set an artificially rushed timetable.
hello_shawn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
+ the very liberal OP won't be satisfied unless another Tory In Name Only takes over
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello_shawn)
+ the very liberal OP won't be satisfied unless another Tory In Name Only takes over
For a non-Tory, it's genuinely hard to get excited about the choice between the various ambitious, nasty, slightly shambolic and confused creatures who constitute the 'alternative candidates'. Leading Tories are a sort of daily demonstration of the idea that ambition often exceeds grasp.

Anyway, it seems clear that she will survive the vote, but not long to wait to find out at least.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
For a non-Tory, it's genuinely hard to get excited about the choice
Is there such a thing as an exciting leadership election on any side?

And if you think there is, shouldn't you get out more?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Is there such a thing as an exciting leadership election on any side?

And if you think there is, shouldn't you get out more?
Lol, it's called being a politics nerd. It would be a pretty big change of plan for me to drop that now. :teehee:
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
options as far as I see it:

she wins - she stays as PM and brings a slightly tweaked deal in january and tries her luck again (most likely in my eyes)

she looses -

1, a hard-core brexiteer becomes the new tory party leader. They call an election as soon as possible
2, another soft-leaver (ex-remainer) becomes PM, and tries to get a better deal before the march deadline

At this point, labours best bet is actually if a brexiteer becomes the new PM, because then the new PM will have no choice but to call an election. Why? Because there is 0% chance they would be able to get any of their brexit policies through parliment as it is currently made up. They would need first to go back to the public with a brexit-manifesto, and more brexiteers on the ballot.. and try and shift the ballance of parliment more towards leave. They would at least need a majority of support within their own party, and certainly an overal majority in the commons.

another may-type repalcement though, would probably just look at the situation and feel like they could get a slightly tweeked version of her deal through parliment in march.. without the need for an election
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 1 year ago
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol, it's called being a politics nerd. It would be a pretty big change of plan for me to drop that now. :teehee:
Point 2 still applies 🤣
travelcollegeguy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So predictions will she win or lose
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Point 2 still applies 🤣
I think I'll take a break once Brexit is over, due to exhaustion.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think I'll take a break once Brexit is over, due to exhaustion.
Hahahaha, you think it'll actually end ... You naive fool.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Hahahaha, you think it'll actually end ... You naive fool.
:rofl:
Tenya Iida
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
anyone else really f*cking tired
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If she loses, a no deal Brexit is basically guaranteed.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
If she loses, a no deal Brexit is basically guaranteed.
No it isn't. If she loses, a hard-Brexiteer would likely become the next PM - then the government would collapse and article 50 would be extended to make time for a general election.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (74)
28.57%
1 (40)
15.44%
2 (41)
15.83%
3 (38)
14.67%
4 (17)
6.56%
5 (20)
7.72%