Acidic hydrolysis Watch

zblai1000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
CH3CH2C(OH)(CN)CH3 ---> CH3CH2C(OH)(COOH)CH3

How can this reaction be counted as an acidic or base hydrolysis? This is from a past year IAL Unit 4 paper and the MS said this method of conversion can be both acidic and base hydrolysis.
Now I'm actually confused on what does "hydrolysis" even mean, please help me out.

Thank you
BobbJo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zblai1000)
CH3CH2C(OH)(CN)CH3 ---> CH3CH2C(OH)(COOH)CH3

How can this reaction be counted as an acidic or base hydrolysis? This is from a past year IAL Unit 4 paper and the MS said this method of conversion can be both acidic and base hydrolysis.
Now I'm actually confused on what does "hydrolysis" even mean, please help me out.

Thank you
It can be both acid and base hydrolysis. The conversion can be done by heating with mineral acid (but not concentrated sulfuric acid) or by heating with a base.

Hydrolysis is the cleavage of a covalent bond using water molecules. It is the reverse of condensation
zblai1000
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hydrolysis is the breaking of covalent bonds due to the attraction between water and atoms of the molecule right?
So am I right to say the N- of the CN is attracted to H+ of H2O? And then the OH- of water is attracted to C+ of CN and form COOH?
If yes, then my next question is where did the additional O from the COOH came from? If my explanation is right won't it be something like COH? (which is unlikely as C can form 4 bonds)

Please help me out, thank you very much.
BobbJo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zblai1000)
Hydrolysis is the breaking of covalent bonds due to the attraction between water and atoms of the molecule right?
So am I right to say the N- of the CN is attracted to H+ of H2O? And then the OH- of water is attracted to C+ of CN and form COOH?
If yes, then my next question is where did the additional O from the COOH came from? If my explanation is right won't it be something like COH? (which is unlikely as C can form 4 bonds)

Please help me out, thank you very much.
That's not a very correct way to describe it.

Here is the mechanism of hydrolysis of nitriles

https://imgur.com/a/dCoIvuQ

It is nucleophilic addition-elimination
zblai1000
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BobbJo)
That's not a very correct way to describe it.

Here is the mechanism of hydrolysis of nitriles

https://imgur.com/a/dCoIvuQ

It is nucleophilic addition-elimin
Alright thank you for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (141)
46.08%
Pro-humanity (165)
53.92%