University of York - Computer Science Interview

Watch
Baifish
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I received an interview for the computer science at York University and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to expect/how I should answer and what I should include in my answers.

Thanks
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
Jackudy3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Baifish)
I received an interview for the computer science at York University and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what to expect/how I should answer and what I should include in my answers.

Thanks
Hi,

I had my York Computer Science interview a few weeks back (I think, lost track of time!) and got my reduced offer about a week after that, followed a few days later by an email from the uni saying that I was unconditional if I firmed them.

They don't ask anything too taxing and it's more personal stuff, with some venturing into why you're passionate about CompSci and why you want to study it. My interviewer also gave me a problem to do with depth first search on the whiteboard, although I hadn't covered this in my A-level Computer Science yet at the time. I wouldn't worry about the problem though, they walk you through it and as long as you provide relevant things that you do know along the way and make sure that your passion for the subject and enjoyment of learning it shines through you'll be absolutely fine.

For example, despite not knowing about the specific searching algorithm I thought about how I'd solve it in terms of programming (it was about a mouse finding its way to a piece of cheese in a 2D array style layout with walls inside) and literally ended up outlining a depth first search algorithm without knowing what it was. Then, I was able to explain how the mouse could find the cheese if the 2D array was limitless (i.e. there were no walls around the edge), and again I thought about it programmatically and realised that you could simply insert imaginary walls and expand them outwards from the centre until your search found the cheese.

It's fine to be nervous (I was, and I even told my interviewer this as I walked through the door), just remember that irrespective of what happens in there you already have your offer and have lost nothing by trying to get it lowered. Just do your best, and if you truly love CompSci then you might even enjoy it like I did!

The last thing that I would say is make sure that you know where CompSci falls in relation to related subjects such as Computing, Physics or Engineering. I was asked about the difference between CompSci and Computing (possibly because I mentioned too many more computing-ish extracurriculars) and it caught me off guard quite a bit despite knowing the answer, so just ensure you get it across that it's this subject you're interested in (note though that it's fine and probably beneficial to have related interests!).

In case anyone is reading this in future (I did my research and couldn't find this info anywhere), in the 2018/19 application cycle it seems almost everyone who applied got an offer, of those who applied most of those to attend interview (if not all) got their offer lowered and of those who got their offer lowered I'd imagine a smaller number got unconditional, although I've not come across anybody else who has one yet so don't quote me on that. I believe for unconditionals they look at more than grades, as my equally academically able friend, fellow applicant and Cambridge interviewee did not get one.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Jackudy3; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (72)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (79)
16.92%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (42)
8.99%
Isolating with family (28)
6%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (19)
4.07%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (38)
8.14%
Loneliness (46)
9.85%
Financial worries (16)
3.43%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (46)
9.85%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (48)
10.28%

Watched Threads