The Student Room Group

Is it too late to quit my Christmas job? Family member dying

I’m on a retail contract until the end of January, but now it is the middle of December and I find myself in a difficult situation. This morning I learned that my close grandfather just has weeks to live, and atm my entire time is dedicated to my retail job. I want to quit so that I can spend some last time with him, but I am concerned that it is too close to Xmas to quit. Would my managers understand and let me go?
What's your notice period on your contract?
Reply 2
Original post by MrMusician95
What's your notice period on your contract?

One week
Original post by Offtheedge
One week

Hand in your notice then.
One week

Not sure why you think this is an issue. Hand your notice in if you want to leave. Who cares what the managers think. They'll replace you without a second thought, and you'll get other jobs. Do what's right for you.
Reply 5
Original post by Duncan2012
Not sure why you think this is an issue. Hand your notice in if you want to leave. Who cares what the managers think. They'll replace you without a second thought, and you'll get other jobs. Do what's right for you.

I’m more just concerned about feeling guilty about leaving during a busy period, once I can bring myself together though I will head into work. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 6
yeah its not your fault and you are entitled to hand your notice in. Just explain to them and im sure they will understand
I’m more just concerned about feeling guilty about leaving during a busy period, once I can bring myself together though I will head into work. Thanks for the advice.

Your grandmother is ill and you wish to spend time with her.

You have nothing to feel guilty about.
One week

If you're set on leaving them hand in your notice and leave in a week. Do you have any pro rata holidays left to take?
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother working the weeks notice. Retail managers would replace you without a second thought, you shouldn't have any loyalty to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending