The Student Room Group

I want to drop out to become a pro gamer

I'm repeating 2 modules in 2nd year of a business degree.
I originally dropped out and changed courses, but I didn't like it and so I joined back as a repeat..
I've 3 exams coming up soon first is this Friday.

I'm €900 to repeat this semester, I have another 900 due for next semester.
Plus the cost of tutoring which probably equates to 200-300..
And then the cost of the last 2 years..
I've cost my parents a fortune and I feel terrible about it.

I want to drop out, I hate college, I always have but I've also always felt (and been told) I need a degree.
I'm commuting from home - that's 1.5 hrs each way by bus (2.5 with traffic)..
I hated when I was living in student accommodation, I just got sick of the going out, the pubs and clubs, I don't care for drinking, I don't like parties, I don't like sports..
I joined a lot of clubs and societies but they're just about going out as well.
I just don't like college, and even less so when I have to be in for 10 and I might get home for 7, plus the 4 hours between lectures I have to deal with.

I want to become a pro gamer, maybe esports but also (more likely) as a content creator, youtube, twitch, instagram, twitter..
I really like the competitive scene for games like Fortnite but I also like lets plays and walkthroughs..
I've always watched guys like Syndicate, Typical Gamer, RadBrad, JackSepticEye, TetraNinja, Tfue, Ninja, Shroud, PewDiePie..

My plan is/would be to drop out and get a job at somewhere like Tesco, or as a security guard.. Warehouse work etc.
Something so I can pay back my parents and invest in a proper set up, gaming pc, streaming, mic, camera, video editing etc.

I'm not expecting to make a living from it overnight but I hope to eventually.

I just know I don't like college, I've always looked for a way out, something to get into.. I've been grasping at straws most of the time, but my father actually mentioned pro gaming, we were talking about twitch and he said 'would you ever think of doing that? I'd say you'd be good'..
So that got me thinking.

I learn pretty quickly , I can get my point across well, I've always had an interest in growing a social media following, having an online presence (but I've hated IG influencers..), I like and want to get good at video editing, I was planning on getting involved with PR and Brand Imaging after college and it plays into this.
Plus I have no issue playing games for long hours daily.

Scroll to see replies

Incredibly short-sighted plan. What happens if the gaming thing doesn't work out? Always have a back-up plan. You can still build upon your gaming career whilst also working on another - a lot of these gaming YouTubers started their channels while they were still at school or college, and some still go to college or uni.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Incredibly short-sighted plan. What happens if the gaming thing doesn't work out? Always have a back-up plan. You can still build upon your gaming career whilst also working on another - a lot of these gaming YouTubers started their channels while they were still at school or college, and some still go to college or uni.

There is 100% a degree of luck involved, Ninja happening upon Fortnite early is the reason he's earning 300k a month.
The plan is to find a job I don't hate, work earn and save.
You always hear about the ones who fail, everyone says 'you only hear about the ones who suceed, what about all those who failed!?' - how many of them consistently uploaded, choose content based on actual feedback instead of just what they liked, who invested time and effort into editing, building a brand, improving engagement rates - treating it like a business.
I know my brother tried and so have a couple of his friends, they uploaded a couple of videos a year, no editing, no effort..

So you keep going until you lucky (by whatever definition), the more you get out there the better chance you have of getting lucky.

I know a lot of guys have started youtube channels and still went to college - a lot are in America though so it's a different story.. but I'm guessing they also like(d) college.
I don't.

I don't want to waste any more of my parents money, I don't like, care or see any merit in college.
I believe I can do it, I'm quite happy working at Tesco until such a time comes.. but I'm also going to continuously put my best foot forward to give myself the chance.

Also streaming, gaming, and esports are only going to get bigger - colleges are investing in set ups and scholarship opportunities to get these players into their colleges.
become a youtuber. get famous. then remember this inspirational comment and yk ice out a brother.
Honestly I'd say go for it 😀 it's obviously something you really want to do and would put loads of effort into, so eventually you'll make it (ofc would take a really long time, but that's never a reason not to do it!). If uni isn't for you, then it isn't for you. It's not the only way to be successful and happy.

Good luck!
Original post by I'mComingOxford
become a youtuber. get famous. then remember this inspirational comment and yk ice out a brother.

Get me a degree from Oxford while you're there and we have a deal
Original post by SeanLaurentParis
Get me a degree from Oxford while you're there and we have a deal

sure bud. get me a nice girlfriend from Paris then i'll give you the degree.
I don’t think this is an issue of luck.

This is like any other talent based career plan be it sports, showbiz, whatever.

The issue is - what if you’re (a) not good enough to win money or (b) not charismatic enough to attract viewers.
Original post by Trinculo
I don’t think this is an issue of luck.

This is like any other talent based career plan be it sports, showbiz, whatever.

The issue is - what if you’re (a) not good enough to win money or (b) not charismatic enough to attract viewers.

There is a different option to the - be like Tfue or - be like Markiplier..
Guys like TetraNinja who are just consistent and generally good, likeable people.

I'm not a very polarising person, I've never a been a love him or hate him person.
I can talk good (/s), I at least like to think I'm articulate.
I try to be nice, I don't have anything serious that could affect me like a speech impediment or really contraversial views (for example).. I also tend to do quite well in games, from the more competitive side of things where you do need good reflexes, timing, decision making and level headedness, to the less competitive playthrough type games where you need to be able to follow stories, see hidden naratives, draw conclusions and stay quite during cut scenes.

Making a living playing video games is different to showbiz, they are similar but it's not about being a pretty face, smiling and saying 'over to you diane' or being some IG 'celebrity' who now is a guest host.
It's all within your control, you edit the videos, you decide the content (well, your viewers do..), you build your brand, put yourself across and decide your direction.. it's different to being Oprah or Ellen with a big PR team behind you, or being Phillip Schofield

Maybe it won't work out and I'll move on but I really don't think college is for me - at least not now.
There is a different option to the - be like Tfue or - be like Markiplier..
Guys like TetraNinja who are just consistent and generally good, likeable people.

I'm not a very polarising person, I've never a been a love him or hate him person.
I can talk good (/s), I at least like to think I'm articulate.
I try to be nice, I don't have anything serious that could affect me like a speech impediment or really contraversial views (for example).. I also tend to do quite well in games, from the more competitive side of things where you do need good reflexes, timing, decision making and level headedness, to the less competitive playthrough type games where you need to be able to follow stories, see hidden naratives, draw conclusions and stay quite during cut scenes.

Making a living playing video games is different to showbiz, they are similar but it's not about being a pretty face, smiling and saying 'over to you diane' or being some IG 'celebrity' who now is a guest host.
It's all within your control, you edit the videos, you decide the content (well, your viewers do..), you build your brand, put yourself across and decide your direction.. it's different to being Oprah or Ellen with a big PR team behind you, or being Phillip Schofield

Maybe it won't work out and I'll move on but I really don't think college is for me - at least not now.

This is exactly the same in the sense that you have complete responsibility for the content you put out - and the question is - what if people don't like your content? What if you are just stuck on 300 subscribers? There are probably countless Youtubers out there who thought that their content was going to be the killer, they would just grow and grow and have a decent living - but they just haven't made it.

I would also disagree that being a pretty face isn't a way to win. Everyone knows that there are exceptionally mediocre girl gamers who have huge followings simply because they are attractive. Very few women on Twitch dress like nuns.

Bottom line is - this is a creative / talent sector, where you will succeed or fail entirely on how much people like your product - so how do you know your product is saleable?

Surely the better strategy would be to carry one with something else, and test the water with your content first? See if part-time you can get any kind of following?
"I'm not motivated enough to smash my degree and get a decent career so I'm going to quit and hope for the best in a saturated market"..........

Can't wait for my council tax to cover you whilst you're on the dole.
Some fair points.

I've been playing for years, I had a PS1 and went from there, I played MW2 for hours on end.
I've always played.

I'd intend on working part time, as a lot of work around me is part time.. So I would have plenty of time, I just intend on paying back my parents, some up keep and then build a better set up.

I've already said it earlier so I won't go into detail but a lot of guys don't take it seriously, I know a lot who failed solely for lack of trying, they uploaded maybe once a month, no editing just stuck it on Youtube.
There are a lot of people making great money playing games, there are a lot who aren't, there are a lot of people playing in general.. and most are not taking it serious, even more never upload to begin with.

I genuinely think gaming is a viable career path.. it's arguably going to be better than whatever half assed degree I come out with - for lack of caring..
I'd be better off going all in on what I wholeheartedly care about than doing some bs job so I can go home and play in my free time.
I've always wanted to/intended on being self employed so this lines up.

I don't care for much of life - I just genuinely don't enjoy it.
There's nothing wrong with me or anything like that, it's just I have zero interest in going the normal route, I'd rather try and fail than potter along like everyone else.

I don't like going out, I'm sick of alcohol, I don't care for parties, I don't have much in common with my friends from school, I don't care about football or what celeb said what.
Politics annoys me, most music is crap nowadays, advertising is everywhere, I don't want to get a 9-5 so I can have money for the pub or my topman jeans.
The whole thing just bores the **** out of me, I want to do what I want to do, I'm only here for now anyway what's the point in getting a job at some business so I can earn my comfy 60k a year have a pension, find a girl and settle down, I don't want to go to the pub with the lads, I don't want to work for the majority of my life at something merely because it's the done thing.

I want to throw myself into something I love, I want to do what I actually want to do for a living, I want to enjoy myself - I don't enjoy what most people seem to enjoy.
It baffles me that people are happy complaining about their crappy manager, or dealing with office politics, I'm not happy having something to moan about just to have something to say.

I want to do what I want, not what's expected.
Man, that would be my dream job!
Can I join in wanting that kind of future?
Be like Vanoss, or H2O Delirious!
Some fair points.

I've been playing for years, I had a PS1 and went from there, I played MW2 for hours on end.
I've always played.

I'd intend on working part time, as a lot of work around me is part time.. So I would have plenty of time, I just intend on paying back my parents, some up keep and then build a better set up.

I've already said it earlier so I won't go into detail but a lot of guys don't take it seriously, I know a lot who failed solely for lack of trying, they uploaded maybe once a month, no editing just stuck it on Youtube.
There are a lot of people making great money playing games, there are a lot who aren't, there are a lot of people playing in general.. and most are not taking it serious, even more never upload to begin with.

I genuinely think gaming is a viable career path.. it's arguably going to be better than whatever half assed degree I come out with - for lack of caring..
I'd be better off going all in on what I wholeheartedly care about than doing some bs job so I can go home and play in my free time.
I've always wanted to/intended on being self employed so this lines up.

I don't care for much of life - I just genuinely don't enjoy it.
There's nothing wrong with me or anything like that, it's just I have zero interest in going the normal route, I'd rather try and fail than potter along like everyone else.

I don't like going out, I'm sick of alcohol, I don't care for parties, I don't have much in common with my friends from school, I don't care about football or what celeb said what.
Politics annoys me, most music is crap nowadays, advertising is everywhere, I don't want to get a 9-5 so I can have money for the pub or my topman jeans.
The whole thing just bores the **** out of me, I want to do what I want to do, I'm only here for now anyway what's the point in getting a job at some business so I can earn my comfy 60k a year have a pension, find a girl and settle down, I don't want to go to the pub with the lads, I don't want to work for the majority of my life at something merely because it's the done thing.

I want to throw myself into something I love, I want to do what I actually want to do for a living, I want to enjoy myself - I don't enjoy what most people seem to enjoy.
It baffles me that people are happy complaining about their crappy manager, or dealing with office politics, I'm not happy having something to moan about just to have something to say.

I want to do what I want, not what's expected.

Whatever gets your juices flowing mate. Just something to consider though, there are many benefits to the norm, such as job security, keeping to a schedule, healthcare benefits. The norm can be just as exciting, fun, rewarding or whatever.
I think there very much is a lot of luck involved, being 'good' at gaming and streaming does not mean you are automatically going to get tons of views or even enough to make a living i know and can bet that there are MANY people that are overall 'better' than the biggest streamers, they just get overshadowed , sure they might have a small and loyal viewing but they just stagnate due to no fault of their own.

Good luck but I dont want you ending up in a year with a few followers having little to fall back on.
Original post by AperfectBalance
I think there very much is a lot of luck involved, being 'good' at gaming and streaming does not mean you are automatically going to get tons of views or even enough to make a living i know and can bet that there are MANY people that are overall 'better' than the biggest streamers, they just get overshadowed , sure they might have a small and loyal viewing but they just stagnate due to no fault of their own.

Good luck but I dont want you ending up in a year with a few followers having little to fall back on.

If I were in that kind of position (gaming for a job), I'd be working at my local community centre, because I know that they will welcom me back any time! Especially as one of them says that I was a brilliant addition to the team!
Original post by AperfectBalance

there is also alot of luck on a business degree is gonna be worth the money and time. so have a degree doesnt automatically mean gonna get into a great grad job
Don't drop out unless you already have a tangible following on twitch or w/e. Dropping out to work in tesco to fund a career that might not ever actually take off for you leaves you up **** creek.

Have you considered changing degrees, or other career options outside of university (apprenticeships n such)? It's better to start building on your gaming when you've got actually reasonable fallbacks, as opposed to the fallback being trying to get a promotion in tesco.
Statistically speaking, it is difficult to make Youtube a career although of course not impossible. There are several elements to this: good personality, creativity, quality (editing/design/gameplay), commitment (ie regular uploading), longevity (longer, more established channels have a larger catalogue of uploads) and luck. Getting "successful" on Youtube is more difficult now than it would have been in pre-2012 and especially before 2010 because the number of people using and uploading to the site has sky-rocketed and the competition is now much more than it used to be. The expectation for quality of content (video quality, editing, production (pre and post), personality, likeability etc) is much higher compared to before and it is more self-employed job/business-like. The notion of a self-made success who just films and uploads without considerable (editing, production, self-promotion, scripting) work (not unlike the level of a full-time job) is nowadays very uncommon (again owing to the extent of the competition/number of people wanting to be 'Youtubers' and the already-established highly successful Youtuber brands).

One very good reason to get a degree or a trade skill (via an apprenticeship or professional training) is to have a better chance to escape the repetitiveness and low pay of minimum wage 'unskilled' work. Tesco or similar may be ok for a year, maybe even a few years, but working retail, customer service or manual labour with little monetary reward becomes very taxing, exhausting and somewhat demoralising after a while. Unless you absolutely love working in customer service (of which I would estimate an extremely small minority do, given the mistreatment, high stress, limited progression and low pay inherent in the work), if you have the opportunity to build a skill and move away from this cycle I would take that opportunity. This doesn't necessarily *need* to be in business or finance (you may wish to switch course or university), nor does it even need to be in university at all (you could learn an extra qualification for example or even do a course online).

What I'm trying to say is that Youtube is a goal. It isn't impossible. People have obviously done it and I commend your drive and passion. But you do have to be aware of the likelihood and the high possibility of failure and the level and extent of commitment which is required for success nowadays and the sheer randomness ('the algorithm':wink: of many aspects. A backup through some sort of trade skill, apprenticeship or qualification would give you the option to not be trapped in minimum wage retail/manual work should your Youtube career fail to take off (which is a good possibility even with immense amounts of work). Plus, Youtube may not be around in 5-10+ years and is a relatively unstable career (even long-established Youtubers can have their subscribers fall dramatically at short notice); it's wise to have an extra marketable skill in the event of this happening as working on Youtube is intrinsically quite niche in terms of skillset.

Edit: you can also do a videographer/video editor/video production apprenticeship near you which would give you some skills for Youtube/video making but would also be paid (and therefore be less pressure on your parents) and could even lead to a job down the line. It would also, I assume, be something you would potentially enjoy more than your degree if you are starting to dislike business studies.
(edited 5 years ago)
Are you talking twitch or YT streamer or an actaul pro gamer? I mean it's unlikely you would succeed in a competitive environment as all the pros have been playing games like Overwatch and R6 Siege for years.

Becoming a streamer is more viable. A friend of mine got almost 1000 subs doing walkthroughs and general playthoughs on YT over the course of a few months.l so if you do it over a year or so you can do well.

Bare in mind that a vid can take like 9 hours to edit render and upload. That's a lot of time to invest for someone who can't stick out a degree. Whatever you do, just 've sure you want it.

Quick Reply

Latest