Universities launch drive to recruit more white males

Watch this thread
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#NotTheOnion

wtf are they doing this for? It makes the whole system of affirmative action for minorities defunct if you make it apply to everyone - BAME, women, LGBTQIA+, and now white men. That's everyone.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-numbers-give/
looloo2134
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
How are they going to get white men to university if they don't want to go.
Seargo
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
#NotTheOnion

wtf are they doing this for? It makes the whole system of affirmative action for minorities defunct if you make it apply to everyone - BAME, women, LGBTQIA+, and now white men. That's everyone.

Well because as cited in the article men are classed as a minority and they want equal numbers of all. I dont really see the issue
Last edited by Seargo; 3 years ago
looloo2134
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Maybe those white British males don't want to end up in £60000 of dept and low wage job at the end of university. They would rather do an apprenticeship in construction, engineering ect were they earn money while training and earn more money than a lot graduates after finishing training and no dept.
Moxholl
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
So... What's the problem exactly? A group that is under represented at universities is being encouraged to go???
Just my opinion
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
#NotTheOnion

Careful AP, your letting your bigotry show
Andrew97
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
We all the OP hates white people with a passion.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Maybe he has some sort of fetish for straight white men, he seems to bring them up on every thread. :teehee:
stoyfan
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I have a crazy suggestion but: how about accepting applicants based on merits, rather than race?
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
*pretends to be shocked*
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Moxholl)
So... What's the problem exactly? A group that is under represented at universities is being encouraged to go???
Hahahahaha, quite a bit different approach when it is other groups.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
#NotTheOnion

Your point makes sense if you don't consider white men as people.
JSG29
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The article states that something like 23 out of 146 universities have more female students than male - hardly seems like a crisis. If there are specific universities where there are massive deficits in the number of white males at the uni, I see no problem with this, but it did amuse me to see the researcher was surprised no universities had yet included recruiting more white males in their long term targets
Last edited by JSG29; 3 years ago
AngeryPenguin
Rep:
(Original post by Andrew97)
ffs I am white you moron.
Andrew97
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
ffs I am white you moron.
Interesting that you hate yourself then
AngeryPenguin
Rep:
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Maybe he has some sort of fetish for straight white men, he seems to bring them up on every thread. :teehee:
I've brought them up literally just a couple of times. I say just as much positive stuff about them (such as Trudeu and Macron) as negative (well okay it might be a longer list but ygm)
Moxholl
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JSG29)
The article states that something like 23 out of 146 universities have more female students than male - hardly seems like a crisis. If there are specific universities where there are massive deficits in the number of white males at the uni, I see no problem with this, but it did amuse me to see the researcher was surprised no universities had yet included recruiting more white males in their long term targets
This statistic did provide some lightly humourous entertainment for me, what about the other 123? Lol
AngeryPenguin
Rep:
(Original post by JSG29)
The article states that something like 23 out of 146 universities have more female students than male
Yeah tbf I think that stat is wrong. BBC reported a while back about the gender gap at unis and from the context I think they got the genders mixed up.
looloo2134
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JSG29)
Why would universities want to recruit people (white males) who do not want to be there. Whatever they do they cannot force people to go to university.
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Moxholl)
---
It makes the whole system of affirmative action for minorities defunct if you make it apply to everyone - BAME, women, LGBTQIA+, and now white men. That's everyone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (147)
42%
Not yet, but I will soon (63)
18%
No (140)
40%

Watched Threads