The Student Room Group
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester

3D animation + visual effects course, student comments please!

Chichester's course titled above looks really good.

The student ratings cannot be found on WhatUni and UniStats doesn't have student satisfaction favorable at 63%. Should we listen to these ratings?

Has anyone taken this course and how is it? how is the course leader? How is the school itself?

many thanks!!
Chichester isn’t particularly known for their vfx/animation courses. They aren’t industry accredited.

I would suggest that you ask them about the low student satisfaction results- are there any particular questions that they score poorly on, and about their links with industry and graduate jobs.
University of Chichester
University of Chichester
Chichester
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Chichester isn’t particularly known for their vfx/animation courses. They aren’t industry accredited.

I would suggest that you ask them about the low student satisfaction results- are there any particular questions that they score poorly on, and about their links with industry and graduate jobs.

PQ, happy new year! so I didn't ask Chichester about low rarings or connections cuz they would make something up, perhaps...
the course has Max Tyrie (BAFTA winning ani) as head lecturer, uses Houdini on the course, is 1.5 hrs away from London..(does anyone go into London when this far away from it and busy with uni anyways?!?)..is not the lowest rated school hanging at #86 (complete guide)...

well...still looking for my 5 to list for UCAS.. something not too low and something not in tops (BU and Herts)...time is ticking...researching still...something animation w/vfx or vfx.

ideas??
Original post by sparkylab
PQ, happy new year! so I didn't ask Chichester about low rarings or connections cuz they would make something up, perhaps...
the course has Max Tyrie (BAFTA winning ani) as head lecturer, uses Houdini on the course, is 1.5 hrs away from London..(does anyone go into London when this far away from it and busy with uni anyways?!?)..is not the lowest rated school hanging at #86 (complete guide)...

well...still looking for my 5 to list for UCAS.. something not too low and something not in tops (BU and Herts)...time is ticking...researching still...something animation w/vfx or vfx.

ideas??

I'm looking to study Animation (2D and 3D, possibly visual effects) so it's not quite the same, but I'm applying so far to Portsmouth, Herts (I see you already mentioned them) and AUB. I'm also considering BU, UWE Bristol and De Montfort. I'm not sure about VFX degrees but if they do animation there's a chance they do VFX too. Let me know what you end up choosing! :^)
Reply 4
Original post by ClockworkPaws
I'm looking to study Animation (2D and 3D, possibly visual effects) so it's not quite the same, but I'm applying so far to Portsmouth, Herts (I see you already mentioned them) and AUB. I'm also considering BU, UWE Bristol and De Montfort. I'm not sure about VFX degrees but if they do animation there's a chance they do VFX too. Let me know what you end up choosing! :^)

you have great choices for applying to!! I was just holding my Portsmouth notes when I saw your post! Is Leicester a good town to live in? NOPE, don't have my list very narrowed down yet!! and considering some uni on my list have 2-3 good course options..I am just going nuts here.

this is in Chichester area, so I will not post much about about other unis. will maybe start new post elsewhere.
(edited 5 years ago)
Chichester's course titled above looks really good.

The student ratings cannot be found on WhatUni and UniStats doesn't have student satisfaction favorable at 63%. Should we listen to these ratings?

Has anyone taken this course and how is it? how is the course leader? How is the school itself?

many thanks!!

Hi,

Our 3D Animation and Visual Effects started in September 2018, due to the opening of our brand new Engineering and Digital Technology Park. This means that we don't have stats on the course until it's run for at least a year. The 63% student satisfaction that you have has been pulled from a different course area and has nothing to do with the 3D Animation course.

You'll be taught and have access to state of the art facilities and equipment. The course is run by two time BAFTA winner Max Tyrie, some of his credits include The Amazing Spiderman 1 & 2 and Alice in Wonderland.

If you have any other questions about the course, department or University in general - please don't hesitate to ask!
I would personally be concerned about the student satisfaction rating. Even if not for that course because it's so new, something is wrong somewhere and I'd want to know more about it before committing. I study animation, though without VFX, at NTU
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I would personally be concerned about the student satisfaction rating. Even if not for that course because it's so new, something is wrong somewhere and I'd want to know more about it before committing. I study animation, though without VFX, at NTU

We completely agree, and truly believe that everyone should make informed decisions about their future and choice of courses/universities. Our overall student satisfaction for Chichester was 83% in the latest NSS (2018) and in the top 10 (out of 119 institutions) for satisfaction with teaching in the Guardian League Tables.
Reply 8
Original post by University of Chichester
Hi,

Our 3D Animation and Visual Effects started in September 2018, due to the opening of our brand new Engineering and Digital Technology Park. This means that we don't have stats on the course until it's run for at least a year. The 63% student satisfaction that you have has been pulled from a different course area and has nothing to do with the 3D Animation course.

You'll be taught and have access to state of the art facilities and equipment. The course is run by two time BAFTA winner Max Tyrie, some of his credits include The Amazing Spiderman 1 & 2 and Alice in Wonderland.

If you have any other questions about the course, department or University in general - please don't hesitate to ask!

Yep, the rating that I saw has no substance!!
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007137FT-UGBA3DAVE/ReturnTo/Search

based on data not relevant. I think Chichester's animation course is one to keep an eye on. The facilities are new and look good. It is still on my list..ugh..then again..I still have too many on my list to apply to.
Yep, the rating that I saw has no substance!!
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007137FT-UGBA3DAVE/ReturnTo/Search

based on data not relevant. I think Chichester's animation course is one to keep an eye on. The facilities are new and look good. It is still on my list..ugh..then again..I still have too many on my list to apply to.

We appreciate your concerns and would love to put your mind at ease whilst making this decision - we are more than happy to put you in contact with our Head of 3D Animation Max Tyrie to talk through your concerns of the course and what will be included throughout the three years of your study.

If this is something you're interested in - please email [email protected] and we will put you in contact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending