The Student Room Group

acceptable soft subjects for medcine/dentistry

basically, I'm taking maths biology and chemistry atm for medicine or dentistry but I'm not doing very well in maths and I know it's only going to get harder from here. So, I want to change maths to a soft subject but am unsure a to what would be most appropriate for medicine and dentistry.

p.s.I asked this question before but my account won't let me see it.
Same issue here too man pm me if you want
Do you have a list of potential subjects in mind?
I was gonna do maths bio and chem but I’m thinking instead maybe psychology or product design because I do Tech at the moment for GCSE’s what are you taking?
Original post by bhavyab02
basically, I'm taking maths biology and chemistry atm for medicine or dentistry but I'm not doing very well in maths and I know it's only going to get harder from here. So, I want to change maths to a soft subject but am unsure a to what would be most appropriate for medicine and dentistry.

MFL, Philosophy and ethics, psychology, physics sociology. These would all be suitable in combination with bio and chem for a medicine degree.
If your good at essays I’d say go for psychology or philosophy
So are you year 11
Religious studies is quite common third subject amongst my peers who've applied for medicine.

But whichever subject you change to, be aware of how much work you have to catch up on; you'll be almost 4 months behind all the other students who started the subject in September.
Original post by super_kawaii
MFL, Philosophy and ethics, psychology, physics sociology. These would all be suitable in combination with bio and chem for a medicine degree.

I am not convinced that physics is a great choice, the exam for a level physics tests 40% on mathematical ability (however, it isn't considered too hard by most people). Just my opinion though.
Original post by Mr.noname
I am not convinced that physics is a great choice, the exam for a level physics tests 40% on mathematical ability (however, it isn't considered too hard by most people). Just my opinion though.

Still 60% less maths than a maths A Level and a good choice for a medicine degree. OP asked for options, I provided options. You even said yourself, it's not hard the maths in A Level physics so....
Reply 9
Original post by Mr.noname
Do you have a list of potential subjects in mind?

philosophy or economics but I haven't done either of them before so I don't know how they're like
Reply 10
Original post by Infinite Series
Religious studies is quite common third subject amongst my peers who've applied for medicine.

But whichever subject you change to, be aware of how much work you have to catch up on; you'll be almost 4 months behind all the other students who started the subject in September.

ha yeah, I spoke to the teacher who does all the changing of subjects and that's exactly what she said.
Reply 11
Original post by FreestyleXDL
If your good at essays I’d say go for psychology or philosophy
So are you year 11

I considered philosophy but the only drawbacks I have are that it's all essay based so you can never have exact answers and a LOT to catch up on
Original post by bhavyab02

Many of my friends that are planning on doing medicine do psychology or sociology if that helps? It may limit some universities like Cambridge, but on the whole is generally accepted for courses. However I'd check with universisties beforehand in order to make an informed decision.
Isn't it a bit late to change subjects now though?
Reply 13
Original post by FreestyleXDL
I was gonna do maths bio and chem but I’m thinking instead maybe psychology or product design because I do Tech at the moment for GCSE’s what are you taking?

I'm already in yr 12 doing bio, chem and maths. I'm always last minute

Quick Reply

Latest