The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Girl but not a feminist AMA

My school is very political. About 90% of the female teachers are feminists and about... idk 99.999% of all students are. I’m not - as the title says and when I revealed this in English today, I was completely shamed by everyone in my class?

Am I wrong to not consider myself a feminist? Anyway, that’s not what we’re doing today because I highly doubt I’ll change :P

I am a girl and don’t identify as a feminist AMA
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Did you know that we're live on a rock in the middle of nowhere? We live and die and in between all that, we live with a bunch of ****?
There's no point of anything?
Ooooooh... How original...
Do you get insults or accusations of being "brainwashed by the patriarchy" from male self proclaimed feminists?

I'm a 23 year old female and not a feminist.
I'm not feminist because I believe in justice for everyone and won't play favourites or indulge in any sort of identity politics.
Original post by ItsTomii
My school is very political. About 90% of the female teachers are feminists and about... idk 99.999% of all students are. I’m not - as the title says and when I revealed this on English today, I was completely shamed by everyone in my class?

Am I wrong to not consider myself a feminist? Anyway, that’s not what we’re doing today because I highly doubt I’ll change :P

I am a girl and don’t identify as a feminist AMA

Feminism is stupid it shoild be made illegal. It only causes more conflict. The world is equal enough today.
What’s the most common hair colour of girls and teachers in your school, pink, green or blue?
Original post by londonmyst
Do you get insults or accusations of being "brainwashed by the patriarchy" from male self proclaimed feminists?

I'm a 23 year old female and not a feminist.
I'm not feminist because I believe in justice for everyone and won't play favourites or indulge in any sort of identity politics.

Feel like there’s an expectation for those who are younger I.e Generation Z to associate with all these feminists and Social Justice Warriors.

When I tell people in my year that I don’t believe in feminism, they tell me that I just want myself to be “empowered by males” and that I don’t believe in equal rights for both genders. Quite the opposite actually lmao
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
What’s the most common hair colour of girls and teachers in your school, pink, green or blue?

Not allowed I don’t think. However, our schools godmother feminist would probably have green if she could tbh
Reply 8
Do you think feminism does seek some (-some, not all) good intentions to do with equality?

And do you agree with this quote below by Margaret Thatcher? (Someone who got to the top and claimed they did not need feminism)

"Each person is different. Each has their own talents and abilities, and these are the things you want to draw and bring out. You don't say: “I must get on because I'm a woman, or that I must get on because I'm a man”. You should say that you should get on because you have the combination of talents which are right for the job. The moment you exaggerate the question, you defeat your case."
Original post by Obolinda
Did you know that we're live on a rock in the middle of nowhere? We live and die and in between all that, we live with a bunch of ****?
There's no point of anything?

Well said, girl.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Ooooooh... How original...

Lol. I know it isn’t but in my area, being a girl and not being a feminist is apparently “self-hating”? And after being ridiculed today by everyone, I wanted to see if this was the really the norm.
Reply 11
Original post by TellThisF
Feminism is stupid it shoild be made illegal. It only causes more conflict. The world is equal enough today.

Lol I really hope this is the joke that I read it to be 😂
Original post by Moxholl
Lol I really hope this is the joke that I read it to be 😂

Someone says 'wiman are stupid' so what? Take a joke, take abuse and move on. Tell them to f*ck off and ignore them. Women too weak these days they need to stand up for themselves not cry about it and make 'societies'
The problem with this, is you and the feminists around you consider feminism to be completely different things. Of course you don’t agree all women are good and all men are bad- no sensible feminist does. The definition of a feminist is “someone who believes men and women should be treated equally”. So for people replying saying they believe in equal rights but are not feminists- you are. You have simply made up a ridiculous definition of the word and then decided you disagree with it.
Reply 14
Someone says 'wiman are stupid' so what? Take a joke, take abuse and move on. Tell them to f*ck off and ignore them. Women too weak these days they need to stand up for themselves not cry about it and make 'societies'

I'm not crying about anything, or standing up for feminism; I am not a feminist, or even a woman, but I just hoped that you were joking with that post, because otherwise you might like to read any one of many essays/books on the subject of liberty.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Moxholl
I'm not crying about anything, or standing up for feminism; I am not a feminist, or even a woman, but I just hoped that you were joking with that post, because otherwise you might like to read any one of many essays/books on the subject of liberty.

What do feminsst expect? Make sexism illegal? Lmao
What do feminsst expect? Make sexism illegal? Lmao

Discriminating against someone due to their gender is illegal. Lol.
Original post by grace2019
The problem with this, is you and the feminists around you consider feminism to be completely different things. Of course you don’t agree all women are good and all men are bad- no sensible feminist does. The definition of a feminist is “someone who believes men and women should be treated equally”. So for people replying saying they believe in equal rights but are not feminists- you are. You have simply made up a ridiculous definition of the word and then decided you disagree with it.

I agree. So many people don’t understand the meaning of word, but just assume it’s about women having more powerful than men etc. It’s just about equality of the sexes and I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want equality tbf, especially being a woman...?
If you type define feminism into google, it will define it as ‘the advocacy of women’s rights based upon equality of the sexes.’ Maybe, this is the definition that your fellow classmates are familiar with and they thought it was strange for you as a woman to not believe you deserve the same rights as men.

Oh and don’t forget it is thanks to feminists like Mary Wollstonecraft that you can attend a school and get a education.
It’s so annoying too as people spend so long arguing with people they agree with all because they don’t understand the word. I’m sure fundamentally my views on this matter are the same as women who don’t consider themselves feminists. All it takes is one google search- the amount of ignorance is shocking.

Latest