The Student Room Group

Can I leave college at 17 to work on myself for a year?

So I've been thinking about this for a while now. I'm 17 years old doing a BTEC in IT Level 3 course and I want to leave college for a year to work on myself.

I know it sounds stupid but mentally and physically I'm not where I need to be. I've had depression for nearly 3 years now and I'm quite overweight (50lbs above what I should be). I've never had friends at college (my first year and my second year) because everyone in my class is shy and refuses to talk. I also have social anxiety so it's also difficult for me to initiate conversations with others in quiet rooms.

The things I've wanted to do with this year off would be things like going to the gym almost everyday, attend sports classes (BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai etc). Time to gather myself and figure out what I really want to do with my life, plan things out. Get more involved with family etc. Work on my depression and anxiety. I just need some time off college.

I received a merit in my first year at College which allowed me to get onto this level 3 course, After this level 3 course I was hoping to do a foundation course or go straight to University to study Computer Science.

I'd prefer if people give me genuine advice and not slate me in the replies, thankyou.
Reply 1
perserve at college mate and get the best grade you can so that you will get into Uni and work on yourself their as you will be their with high functioning and motivated people who will be able to help you.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I've been thinking about this for a while now. I'm 17 years old doing a BTEC in IT Level 3 course and I want to leave college for a year to work on myself.

I know it sounds stupid but mentally and physically I'm not where I need to be. I've had depression for nearly 3 years now and I'm quite overweight (50lbs above what I should be). I've never had friends at college (my first year and my second year) because everyone in my class is shy and refuses to talk. I also have social anxiety so it's also difficult for me to initiate conversations with others in quiet rooms.

The things I've wanted to do with this year off would be things like going to the gym almost everyday, attend sports classes (BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai etc). Time to gather myself and figure out what I really want to do with my life, plan things out. Get more involved with family etc. Work on my depression and anxiety. I just need some time off college.

I received a merit in my first year at College which allowed me to get onto this level 3 course, After this level 3 course I was hoping to do a foundation course or go straight to University to study Computer Science.

I'd prefer if people give me genuine advice and not slate me in the replies, thankyou.

Taking some R&R time is important for anyone's health and wellbeing. I have had to do it recently myself after a really bad year, due to severe depression, that I ended up being sectioned. So don't feel bad for doing so. It's hard in a society where you are expected to do school, college, uni/work as soon as you leave. It's good that you have ideas on what to do with the time for yourself.
If you feel you need to focus on your mental health and that’s for the best for you then totally do it . I went back to college / uni after a break and it was totally fine and I could still proceed in my studies etc

Talk to your gp / family / friends or whoever you have for a support network and be honest and open and just look after yourself

https://youngminds.org.uk

Here’s a site for under 18s with some useful info I’d you need it ! Best of luck let us know what you plan on doing and how you are getting on . There’s no rush to decide right away :smile: xx
(edited 5 years ago)
Changed the link to the under 18s one which may be better for you

Quick Reply

Latest