The Student Room Group

A level English Literature

Hey,
I am currently in Year 11 I planning to pick English Literature A levels however I am not sure if I will enjoy it . So can you briefly explain what it will be like????
Reply 1
It's pretty much the same. The main difference is that you now have to include interpretations from literary critics in some of your essays, and context now plays a far greater role than it does for GCSE. You'll also have to analyse unseen prose at some point in the course as well. Apart from that, well, not much more difference.
It depends on the exam board too I am doing Edexcel and for my play I am doing Streetcar names desire,For my novels (for 2 years) In Cold Blood and Lady Audley’s Secret then poems and Shakespeare- kind Lear curently I am doing streetcar and poems and soon starting in cold blood but honestly I am so happy with my choice since I liked English lit at gcse so if you like it then you should like it too :smile:
i got a 9 in English literature for gcse and im currently doing it at A2. Its completely different in my opinion as gcse is legit just one of the 5 AO's in English lit and its such a small portion of what a level English is. the amount of books you need to read now is way more than gcse as in certain questions you must compare to other novels and even add critics to your essay.Unless you absolutely love English and love/enjoy reading i really wouldn't advise you to take it cause i dont really like it but i just thank god im good at it because i want to do law at university therefore i must take it. Im not in any way trying to put you off taking English, but i want to give you the most realistic view as this happens to many students who take English lit
Original post by tumble tot
i got a 9 in English literature for gcse and im currently doing it at A2. Its completely different in my opinion as gcse is legit just one of the 5 AO's in English lit and its such a small portion of what a level English is. the amount of books you need to read now is way more than gcse as in certain questions you must compare to other novels and even add critics to your essay.Unless you absolutely love English and love/enjoy reading i really wouldn't advise you to take it cause i dont really like it but i just thank god im good at it because i want to do law at university therefore i must take it. Im not in any way trying to put you off taking English, but i want to give you the most realistic view as this happens to many students who take English lit

You didn’t had to do English to then do a law degree there are no requirements for a law degree it is advised to take essay based subjects but it’s not a must have and I wouldn’t worry coz I am not the type of person that likes to read but I do love analysing and atm I am getting Bs and I still have a year to go so I wouldn’t worry about anything it honestly depends on people
Reply 5
Original post by tumble tot

So do you mean your only problem was the reading????? Or was the subject difficult
Original post by Nour2918
So do you mean your only problem was the reading????? Or was the subject difficult

no i didn't like reading but that is just one of the many reasons why i dont like English anymore. however even if a person does like English i still think that for the first few months they may find it diffcult considering the fast pace and the independence that comes with a levels. personally on a scale of 1-10 im on about a 5 in finding it difficult but i guess it all depends on the type of English you prefer. and poems is wayyyy easier than novels for me as well but u may take it and say otherwise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending