No notes, should i start?

Watch
grilledpeach
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Im currently in year 13 studying biology chemistry and sociology, I barely have any notes (only a bit of what i write in class) is it worth writing up my notes now for alevels or not? When revising for tests i just read the revision guide the day before and i do fine, i get B’s but that wont obviously work for the real exam. Any revision tips will also be great!

999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sofiaaaaa1)
Im currently in year 13 studying biology chemistry and sociology, I barely have any notes (only a bit of what i write in class) is it worth writing up my notes now for alevels or not? When revising for tests i just read the revision guide the day before and i do fine, i get B’s but that wont obviously work for the real exam. Any revision tips will also be great!
Not everyone needs notes, so if you feel your revision books are enough do that.

Making notes is a form of revision.
They are customised to you.

I would see what you get from mocks and practice exams.

Even a revision set umo can help you revise more effectively, but at this late stage you might have to do without because they take a lot of time to make. Just make sure your revision books are good. Its no good by the time of your exam to be just finishing making notes without any time to read them or having practised exams.
grilledpeach
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Not everyone needs notes, so if you feel your revision books are enough do that.

Making notes is a form of revision.
They are customised to you.

I would see what you get from mocks and practice exams.

Even a revision set umo can help you revise more effectively, but at this late stage you might have to do without because they take a lot of time to make. Just make sure your revision books are good. Its no good by the time of your exam to be just finishing making notes without any time to read them or having practised exams.
Thats true i’ll wait and see what happens in mocks, thanks for your help
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Personally I disagree with the it's quite late to be making them comment from the above.
Personally notes was one of my ways of revising and I started around now and got them done in time. Additionally mine were handwritten and I spent time deciding what colour to write them in so if you were typing them I reckon you could quite easily get them done, but it's up to you really
banders18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Personally I disagree with the it's quite late to be making them comment from the above.
Personally notes was one of my ways of revising and I started around now and got them done in time. Additionally mine were handwritten and I spent time deciding what colour to write them in so if you were typing them I reckon you could quite easily get them done, but it's up to you really
Just on that point, there are more benefits to writing up notes by hand rather than on a computer. Supposedly you take more of the information in as you’re doing more than simply tapping away at keys. However, as you are restricted by time, you’ll have to weigh up what is best!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
There are two sets of notes.Normal notes, which should be made from the start and revision notes, which are a more condensed set of notes created from your master notes.

The ideal position would be to have your normal notes up to date {the place I would prefer to be in] , except the OP has none.

Much better to eb turning the final portion of your revision onto condensing, filling in gaps and exam practice.

The OP will find out whether they would have benefited from having decent notes or not.
K.I.M
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sofiaaaaa1)
personally i think that you should be making notes as you are in year 13 and this is your alevels u can use the notes for studing for exams
K.I.M
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
u are going to be restricted in what u can remember if you don't have any notes maybe start by doing a couple of flashcards for each topic in your subjects
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
There are two sets of notes.Normal notes, which should be made from the start and revision notes, which are a more condensed set of notes created from your master notes.

The ideal position would be to have your normal notes up to date {the place I would prefer to be in] , except the OP has none.

Much better to eb turning the final portion of your revision onto condensing, filling in gaps and exam practice.

The OP will find out whether they would have benefited from having decent notes or not.
Point is that was my revision. My 'normal' notes in class were very sparse and consisted of a couple of words. My official notes for revision were condensed and to the point with less of the waffle. I sort of skipped the master notes- they were just the resources teachers provided essentially which was just powerpoints or the textbook
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (29)
15.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (57)
29.84%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.09%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.62%

Watched Threads