Constrained optimisation question using Lagrange multiplier Watch

Logolept
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi guys,

I am really struggling to find an answer to this question (the answer is that the max utility = 1849). What am I doing wrong? I think my budget constraint is correct and it seems like I have also done the partial differentiation correctly. However, I think I am not solving the system of equations correctly, what am I doing wrong? I have shown some of my working out.
Attached files
Logolept
Rep:
?
Here is the actual question
Attached files
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Logolept)
Hi guys,

I am really struggling to find an answer to this question (the answer is that the max utility = 1849). What am I doing wrong? I think my budget constraint is correct and it seems like I have also done the partial differentiation correctly. However, I think I am not solving the system of equations correctly, what am I doing wrong? I have shown some of my working out.
Your final bit of solving the linear equations looks a bit complicated?
you have
lambda = x_1
so
2 x_2 - x_1 = -3
x_1 + 2 x_2 = 83
so
x_2 = 20, x1= 43
Logolept
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Your final bit of solving the linear equations looks a bit complicated?
you have
lambda = x_1
so
2 x_2 - x_1 = -3
x_1 + 2 x_2 = 83
so
x_2 = 20, x1= 43
Yeah, I was trying to solve the system of equations using another method. Funny enough, when I put these equations into Wolfram I get my answer-- thanks for your explanation, I did not spot the simplification.
Logolept
Rep:
?
Can I also ask you, would there be a general way of solving such equations or do you need to look for these simplifcations.
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Logolept)
Can I also ask you, would there be a general way of solving such equations or do you need to look for these simplifcations.
Without being funny, if you put it into wolfram and got the wrong answer, you must have put the wrong equation in. There is no special trick here, you can solve a system of equations (linear in this case) by elimination (which is what you were trying to do) or substitution (which is what I did first). Elimination is generally used, but here you have a single variable lambda in both equations, and in the second equation you have only x_1 as well. It reduces the problem by one dimension to note x_1 = lambda, even if you then do elimination on this reduced problem, after the substitution. With a simple lagrange problem like this, you'll always have a single lambda appearing the equations (dL/dx), so substitution to get rid of it seems an obvious thing to do and then work in x-space for the remaining equations.
Logolept
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Without being funny, if you put it into wolfram and got the wrong answer, you must have put the wrong equation in. There is no special trick here, you can solve a system of equations (linear in this case) by elimination (which is what you were trying to do) or substitution (which is what I did first). Elimination is generally used, but here you have a single variable lambda in both equations, and in the second equation you have only x_1 as well. It reduces the problem by one dimension to note x_1 = lambda, even if you then do elimination on this reduced problem, after the substitution. With a simple lagrange problem like this, you'll always have a single lambda appearing the equations (dL/dx), so substitution to get rid of it seems an obvious thing to do and then work in x-space for the remaining equations.
Much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.84%
No (155)
74.16%

Watched Threads