The Student Room Group

Child tax credit confusion

So for the past to years my mum has been giving me pocket money. £20 a week, £10 goes into my main account and the other goes in my savings. Recently my mum found out that she hadn’t received money form child tax because I thought I was no longer in education (or something like that. I’m 17 btw way) so they given my mum £250, however she said that she’s keeping the money because the money she has been giving me was coming from her own pocket. Can my mum keep the money or legally does she have to give it to me. I was never aware that the money my mum was giving me my child child tax.

Scroll to see replies

It isn’t your money. It’s money awarded to the parent to help support you.
Reply 2
She never had to give you any anyway. This is for her to pay for food, clothes and anything else, it isn’t for pocket money. That she gave you anything is very nice of her.
Reply 3
Original post by Bio 7
She never had to give you any anyway. This is for her to pay for food, clothes and anything else, it isn’t for pocket money. That she gave you anything is very nice of her.

Originally she was asking me which one of my accounts she should put it in which is why I was quite confused to why she all of a sudden taking it. Food and clothes for who?
Reply 4
Original post by Leahmitch
Originally she was asking me which one of my accounts she should put it in which is why I was quite confused to why she all of a sudden taking it. Food and clothes for who?

You cost money, so that money is for paying for anything you need. Food and clothes is just an example of what she will have had to buy for you.
Reply 5
Original post by Seamus123
It isn’t your money. It’s money awarded to the parent to help support you.

Currently my mum is living with me so I’m providing for myself

Who pays for your food, clothing and other necessities?
Reply 7
Currently my mum is living with me so I’m providing for myself

You are living with her, she isn’t living with you. Other things like EMA is your money, but tax credits is not yours.
Reply 8
Who pays for your food, clothing and other necessities?

Food gets paid by my parents but now that my mum is not living with us there’s not as much food and my dad doesn’t provide really and I buy clothes myself.
Reply 9
Original post by Bio 7
You are living with her, she isn’t living with you. Other things like EMA is your money, but tax credits is not yours.

Either way she’s moved out.
Reply 10
Either way she’s moved out.

So she moved out but you are living together? I have no idea what your situation is now but I will just give you the answer to the thread.

Tax credits is not for the child, it is additional money for parents to help with the increased cost of living with children. If she chose to give you pocket money great, but because she hasn’t been getting the money for a year or so she doesn’t want to continue with that as she isn’t getting in the money. It wasn’t that it was meant to go to you, it was just that it could.
Child Tax Credits are paid in the name of the parent because the claim is made by the parent. If you were entitled to it, which you are not, it would be paid in your name.
Reply 12
Original post by Bio 7
So she moved out but you are living together? I have no idea what your situation is now but I will just give you the answer to the thread.

Tax credits is not for the child, it is additional money for parents to help with the increased cost of living with children. If she chose to give you pocket money great, but because she hasn’t been getting the money for a year or so she doesn’t want to continue with that as she isn’t getting in the money. It wasn’t that it was meant to go to you, it was just that it could.

We don’t live together because she has moved out of the family home. There was me, my mum, my dad and my siblings and she MOVED OUT. So now she lives somewhere else.

Oh I see. Thanks for clearing it up
Reply 13
Child Tax Credits are paid in the name of the parent because the claim is made by the parent. If you were entitled to it, which you are not, it would be paid in your name.

I’m starting to understand it now. Thanks
Reply 14
We don’t live together because she has moved out of the family home. There was me, my mum, my dad and my siblings and she MOVED OUT. So now she lives somewhere else.

Oh I see. Thanks for clearing it up

No problem. I can see how you might think you should be getting it as you are used to it but unfortunately not. If you are able to get any education money thingies then that would be for you and it would get paid to your account for you to spend.
Reply 15
Original post by Bio 7
No problem. I can see how you might think you should be getting it as you are used to it but unfortunately not. If you are able to get any education money thingies then that would be for you and it would get paid to your account for you to spend.

Like EMA? I have a job which ends in January as it was only a Christmas temp job so would I still be entitled to EMA?
Reply 16
Like EMA? I have a job which ends in January as it was only a Christmas temp job so would I still be entitled to EMA?

Not sure but you could look into it.
Reply 17
Original post by Bio 7
Not sure but you could look into it.

Thanks
Thanks

What part of the UK do you live in?
Reply 19
What part of the UK do you live in?

Liverpool