Can NATO withstand Trump's presidency?

Watch
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
NATO has encountered many trials and tribulations – the Cold War era, the Post-Cold War era, but it potentially now faces its most challenging time, the Donald Trump era.

How will it survive with the U.S threatening to pull out billions of dollars in funding? Will its European allies fold under the pressure? Will NATO collapse leaving countries exposed?

We want to know: do you think NATO can withstand Trump's presidency?

If this is a topic that interests you, you're more than welcome to join us for our Virtual Masterclass tomorrow (Friday 14th December) 3pm-3.30pm. Our Associate Professor of Security and International Relations, Dr Simon Smith, will present a webinar highlighting everything Donald Trump; the acrimony and tension between his European allies, and its effect on NATO. It's totally free - and there'll be a chance for you to ask Simon questions at the end.

We'd advise you to sign up first to make sure you don't miss the start - https://staffs.online-event.co/invit...mps-presidency

Thanks
imperium_viribus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The short answer to this is yes. Trump may have talked tough on NATO but the policy hasn’t changed. With regards to funding, Trump is only more aggressively voicing what previous administrations have said quietly in the past. In spite of complaints of a looming Russian super invasion by European leaders, there seems to be no evidence that countries are significantly boosting defence expenditure either. NATO will survive the Trump Presidency, portraying it as under threat is just another example of liberal hyperbole in response to Trump’s own hyperbole.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Trump is right on counties not paying their way though...
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are plenty of freeloaders in NATO. The USA is not one of them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads