The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Trent University (NTU) Accommodation thread 2019

Hi everybody :hello:

As the new year is approaching (already!) this thread is to answer any questions related to accommodation at NTU for those of you who have applied, or are intending to apply, to join us in 2019.

Key accommodation dates for your diary

Wednesday 6 February 2019 our accommodation booking system opens

It's worth noting that, if you make NTU your first (firm) choice by Wednesday 1 May 2019 and book your accommodation by Friday 31 May 2019, you'll be guaranteed a place in university-allocated accommodation :u:

Offer holder days

Our offer holder days are a great opportunity to get to know your subject in more detail, take a closer look at our range of accommodation, and tour our Campus and facilities. We have events on:

Saturday 2 February 2019
Saturday 23 February 2019
Saturday 23 March 2019

Take a look at our accommodation

You can browse our range of accommodation on our website

We're here to help!

Let us know if you have any questions and myself or Alice will get back to you as soon as we can!

Chris NTU Rep

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,
do you have any room/floor plans for Gill Street North and South. Are there any differences between the blocks?
If you pick a bigger flat is the kitchen bigger - ie if flat of 11 vs flat for 6 is there an extra cooker or fridge?

Sorry for the detailed questions - I am going to firm NTU so want to make my choice ready for the Feb deadline!
Also any thoughts on private accom vs NTU halls for first year?
THanks
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by swifty999
Hi there,
do you have any room/floor plans for Gill Street North and South. Are there any differences between the blocks?
If you pick a bigger flat is the kitchen bigger - ie if flat of 11 vs flat for 6 is there an extra cooker or fridge?

Sorry for the detailed questions - I am going to firm NTU so want to make my choice ready for the Feb deadline!
Also any thoughts on private accom vs NTU halls for first year?
THanks

Hi @swifty999, no problem at all! Thank you for choosing NTU :thumbsup: what course are you studying?

When booking your accommodation, the system will give you access to a floorplan for each of the rooms in each of the blocks, allowing you to select the exact room you would like to book. The kitchen size reflect the flat size, allowing plenty of communal living space for the number of students in the flat.

I would recommend NTU halls during your first year, for that true university experience. If you choose to book one of our City Campus halls, you'll have easy access to the many restaurants, shops and bars which Nottingham has to offer, whilst also living with other fellow NTU students. If you do choose to pursue private accommodation we'll make sure you have plenty of opportunities to meet fellow students and get involved in social activities.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions

Thanks
Chris - NTU Rep
Reply 3
Hi,
Just got an unconditional offer which I’m going to accept so I’ve started looking at accommodation. I’m looking at the cheapest options as I can’t afford anything else and I want to be on the city campus, so I think Hampden is the only viable option really. What’s Hampden like to live in and what’s the social life like there? And also how quickly do spaces in Hampden fill up? I.e what’s the likelihood of me getting a room there if I’m booking on the first day of the bookin system opening.

Thanks
Hi, I've recieved an unconditional offer to study psychology so I've been starting to look into accommodation etc.

I was wondering which is better out of Byron and Gill Street South?
Also, do you get to choose how many people you're in a flat with? And do you get the option of same/mixed gender?
What's your opinion on student life in Nottingham? i.e nightlife, social life, things to do etc.

Many thanks :smile:
Original post by OKD
Hi,
Just got an unconditional offer which I’m going to accept so I’ve started looking at accommodation. I’m looking at the cheapest options as I can’t afford anything else and I want to be on the city campus, so I think Hampden is the only viable option really. What’s Hampden like to live in and what’s the social life like there? And also how quickly do spaces in Hampden fill up? I.e what’s the likelihood of me getting a room there if I’m booking on the first day of the bookin system opening.

Thanks

Hey @OKD,

Massive congrats on your offer! :smile:

Hampden is right on campus in the city centre, so you're really close to everything including all the shops restaurants, bars etc. which are literally minutes away. There are 6 beds per flat and a shared kitchen, which gives you chance to get to know each other. There's usually a Facebook page for each accommodation, so you can join those when you've booked to get to know people too! You can post/look for posts on The Student Room too if you want to find other people that have booked :h:

It's really difficult to say how quickly it will fill up, as it varies each year. I'd just say it's best to do it soon as you can to avoid dissappointment if you have a favourite!

I'd also suggest coming along to have a look at the accommodation options, the next open day is on Saturday 2 February 2019.

Hope this helps :smile:

Alice - NTU Rep
Hey guys,

We're just signing off for the year, so won't be around to answer posts until the 2nd January. You can still drop us a message though and we'll reply when we're back :smile:

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Alice & Chris - NTU Reps :h:
Reply 7
Hi wondering if you could help me out!
A few people I'm friendly with are going to NTU and we were wondering if we want to be in the same accomodation/floor can we do something about it? Like a request? If that makes sense

Also I saw that people said Byron can be quite loud which I presume is from the clubs nearby can you say if you've had any people complain about the noise?
Thanks so much!
Which do you think is best out of Byron and Gill Street South and what are the main differences between them?
Reply 9
Hey, I'm planning to go to NTU in September and am just currently deciding which accommodation will be best for me. I wanna live in a fairly lively block with mostly first years. I'm just wondering what people would recommend? Thanks
Original post by Saul_X_
Hi wondering if you could help me out!
A few people I'm friendly with are going to NTU and we were wondering if we want to be in the same accomodation/floor can we do something about it? Like a request? If that makes sense

Also I saw that people said Byron can be quite loud which I presume is from the clubs nearby can you say if you've had any people complain about the noise?
Thanks so much!

Hey @Saul_X_

Yes you can choose the exact room you'd like when you book your accommodation so you would all be able to book together :smile: It is on a first come first serve basis though, so will depends what's available when you book!

There can sometimes be a level of noise at Byron as it's on campus, above the SU. That does make it a great location though :h: Have you come to have a look around before?

Alice - NTU Rep
Original post by hannahlilliexo
Which do you think is best out of Byron and Gill Street South and what are the main differences between them?

Hi @hannahlilliexo

Byron is above the SU, and Gill Street South is about a 3 minute walk just up the road! That's the main difference really. There are more rooms in total in Byron, and 4-10 per flat there, whist Gill Street South is 5-11.

They're both really similar actually, almost identical in spec so the best thing I can suggest is to have a look around both and see which you like the feel of better :smile: Are you thinking of coming to an open day?

Alice - NTU Rep
Original post by rocque00
Hey, I'm planning to go to NTU in September and am just currently deciding which accommodation will be best for me. I wanna live in a fairly lively block with mostly first years. I'm just wondering what people would recommend? Thanks

Hey @rocque00

All of our halls are predominantly first years. It can vary but all halls can have a good level of liveliness, sometimes it's more what you do with the experience than the accommodation itself :smile:

Alice - NTU Rep
Reply 13
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hey @Saul_X_

Yes you can choose the exact room you'd like when you book your accommodation so you would all be able to book together :smile: It is on a first come first serve basis though, so will depends what's available when you book!

There can sometimes be a level of noise at Byron as it's on campus, above the SU. That does make it a great location though :h: Have you come to have a look around before?

Alice - NTU Rep

Hi Alice,
that sounds great! but how will we know the rooms before we book? Is there like a floor plan we can see?

Ah I see, and I'm coming again on the 2nd to have a look at City Campus accomodations.

Also my course is taught in Clifton, is it unusual to want to live in City Campus or does that happen a lot?
Thanks,
Saul
Original post by Saul_X_
Hi Alice,
that sounds great! but how will we know the rooms before we book? Is there like a floor plan we can see?

Ah I see, and I'm coming again on the 2nd to have a look at City Campus accomodations.

Also my course is taught in Clifton, is it unusual to want to live in City Campus or does that happen a lot?
Thanks,
Saul

Hi @Saul_X_

You should be able to see the floor plan on the booking system :smile:

It happens a fair amount! There are really good transport links between Clifton campus and City campus, so if you don't mind a little bit of a commute it's fine. You'll be really close to all the shops, restaurants, clubs etc if you're in the City Centre.

Look forward to seeing you at the Offer Holder Day! :h:

Alice - NTU Rep
Reply 15
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi @Saul_X_

You should be able to see the floor plan on the booking system :smile:

It happens a fair amount! There are really good transport links between Clifton campus and City campus, so if you don't mind a little bit of a commute it's fine. You'll be really close to all the shops, restaurants, clubs etc if you're in the City Centre.

Look forward to seeing you at the Offer Holder Day! :h:

Sounds great! Glad to hear it's not unusual that's the reason why I like city accomodation more due to being closer to everything :smile:
Thanks for your help!
looking forward to it!
Original post by hannahlilliexo

It really depends on what you want. I've lived in Byron both my first year and I'm living there again this year and I've also stayed for a few nights in GSS. GSS is a lot quieter, whereas with Byron you will get noise from the trams through the day and most of the night, a fair bit of foot traffic, and the SU depending on where you are in the building. If you're the kind of person to be out most nights though and want to be very social then it would probably suit you well.

Original post by rocque00

Byron would be an obvious choice, but look at all of the on campus accommodations :smile:
What rooms/ blocks are the quietest and most likely to avoid the noise in Byron residence ? thanks (:
Original post by Phoebemccaig
What rooms/ blocks are the quietest and most likely to avoid the noise in Byron residence ? thanks (:

F block would be a good shout, they put mature students and returners in a few flats there too so it's generally quieter on the party front too. G and A can be noisy from the SU, the others are all about the same but depending on which side you're on you might hear the trams
ah ok perf!

Quick Reply

Latest