Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hii TSR!

I have just returned from an interview from Queens College at Cambridge for CompSci course and I want to ask you if you think that I will get admitted.

So, the first interview was very good. Dr. Rice interviewed me and we talked about my UE4 experience, FIRST Tech challenge competition( where my team was at one step away from international stage), and many other competitions and coding experience in java, php and c++.

The second interview I did well, I mean that I managed to find out the solutions of the problems quite fast and understand what they explained to me. There was a problem with the calculations because I did fool mistakes.

The CSAT was quite good, I did 7/10 questions and I hope that all the questions that I solved were good. I can not evaluate myself, but I did quite well, I think.

Now, given the fact that I am sure that they remarked my genue passion for CompSci, my dedication to the projects and my deep level of understanding the CompSci principles, do you think that I might get an offer?

Thank you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's impossible for anybody on here to answer that.

We don't know how good the other candidates were, and we only have your word for how your interviews went - the professors might have perceived them quite differently.

Just put it out of your mind until January. There's nothing else you can do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TasteDaBomb)
    Hii TSR!

I have just returned from an interview from Queens College at Cambridge for CompSci course and I want to ask you if you think that I will get admitted.

So, the first interview was very good. Dr. Rice interviewed me and we talked about my UE4 experience, FIRST Tech challenge competition( where my team was at one step away from international stage), and many other competitions and coding experience in java, php and c++.

The second interview I did well, I mean that I managed to find out the solutions of the problems quite fast and understand what they explained to me. There was a problem with the calculations because I did fool mistakes.

The CSAT was quite good, I did 7/10 questions and I hope that all the questions that I solved were good. I can not evaluate myself, but I did quite well, I think.

Now, given the fact that I am sure that they remarked my genue passion for CompSci, my dedication to the projects and my deep level of understanding the CompSci principles, do you think that I might get an offer?

Thank you.
    No idea.

This is only your account of how the interview went. We're not admissions tutors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    No idea.

This is only your account of how the interview went. We're not admissions tutors.
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    It's impossible for anybody on here to answer that.

We don't know how good the other candidates were, and we only have your word for how your interviews went - the professors might have perceived them quite differently.

Just put it out of your mind until January. There's nothing else you can do.
    Thank you a lot for your opinions, I knew you would answer that... Oh. But from your strictly personal point of view, do you think that I have a chance (I mean if you were an admission tutor)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you a lot for your opinions, I knew you would answer that... Oh. But from your strictly personal point of view, do you think that I have a chance (I mean if you were an admission tutor)
    As above, it is impossible to say based on the information you have provided.

All I can say is that statistically, you have about a 1 in 4 chance, given that Cambridge interview 80% of candidates and give offers to about 20%.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I mean, you've written your report showing your experience in a very good light, but again, it's your account.

It's impossible to answer. It's like marking your own homework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    As above, it is impossible to say based on the information you have provided.

All I can say is that statistically, you have about a 1 in 4 chance, given that Cambridge interview 80% of candidates and give offers to about 20%.
    Well, I do thank you for the answer
    I hope it will be alright

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I mean, you've written your report showing your experience in a very good light, but again, it's your account.

It's impossible to answer. It's like marking your own homework.
    Ok, Thank you a lot. Same thing, I hope I will get an offer

ReputationRep:
    Interviewees are very poor in assessing how they performed in Cambridge interviews... Doonesbury
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hii TSR!

Thank you.
    All sounds good, but no-one can really say. You have to leave it to the professionals (the DoS, fellow academics and the admissions tutor) now.

PS. I've moved this to the University of Cambridge forum where you'll find a thread for the interviewees - please add yourself to the spreadsheet mentioned in the first post.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5674588

Also, as per ageshallnot's point, here's a chart using data from prior applicants showing there is ZERO correlation between how well interviewees think they did, and the final decision...

Name:  Cambridge Interview Outcomes - 2015:16.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  213.5 KB

Eitherway, good luck for the 14th Jan :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    All sounds good, but no-one can really say. You have to leave it to the professionals (the DoS, fellow academics and the admissions tutor) now.

PS. I've moved this to the University of Cambridge forum where you'll find a thread for the interviewees - please add yourself to the spreadsheet mentioned in the first post.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5674588

Also, as per ageshallnot's point, here's a chart using data from prior applicants showing there is ZERO correlation between how well interviewees think they did, and the final decision...

Name:  Cambridge Interview Outcomes - 2015:16.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  213.5 KB

Eitherway, good luck for the 14th Jan :crossedf:
    Thank you very much

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.