Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok it obviously is against the rules but they were speaking so loudly I could hear them from the other side of the hall...

They were saying all of the candidates' interview scores
    Most got a 3, I got a 4 - 4.5
    Does a high score basically mean you're likely to get an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by throwaway23234)
    Ok it obviously is against the rules but they were speaking so loudly I could hear them from the other side of the hall..
    You should have moved away if you could hear. What a terrible thing to do ;(

ReputationRep:
    Knowing your score in one interview tells you very little as they will be looking at scores from your other interviews as well plus all the other aspects of your application and/or admissions tests. Plus they will be looking at all those aspects of everybody else's applications and interviews (and will have access to the scores of candidates assigned to other colleges).

Would have been better not to listen - especially when you realized they were talking about other people's scores.

ReputationRep:
    Ok it obviously is against the rules but they were speaking so loudly I could hear them from the other side of the hall...

I'll disagree with some others - if you weren't somewhere you shouldn't have been, hearing what was said isn't bad, IMO.

It sounds encouraging, but you'll have to wait to find out. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you didn't have your ear pressed up against the door then I don't think you should feel guilty about hearing what was said.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    I'll disagree with some others - if you weren't somewhere you shouldn't have been, hearing what was said isn't bad, IMO.

It sounds encouraging, but you'll have to wait to find out. Good luck.
    Have to agree with this. We don't know the exact situation, but it doesn't sound like the OPs fault they were able to overhear. They could have moved away (or maybe they couldn't) but it's entirely the fault of the interviews for speaking loud enough for a candidate to overhear. Especially if they've left the room and can still be heard.

OP: High score probably means you did good but without knowing what they're scoring you on it's tough to say. It's unlikely to be the only deciding scale. And unless you know for sure what the scoring scale is (maybe you actually got 4 out of 10) it's impossible to say how meaningful it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Have to agree with this. We don't know the exact situation, but it doesn't sound like the OPs fault they were able to overhear. They could have moved away (or maybe they couldn't) but it's entirely the fault of the interviews for speaking loud enough for a candidate to overhear. Especially if they've left the room and can still be heard.

OP: High score probably means you did good but without knowing what they're scoring you on it's tough to say. It's unlikely to be the only deciding scale. And unless you know for sure what the scoring scale is (maybe you actually got 4 out of 10) it's impossible to say how meaningful it is
    The highest score they said was a 4.5 so I assumed it was out of 5... If it is out of 10 then all the interviewees did terribly lol. I think it is out of 5 though, at least for my course maybe.

ReputationRep:
    The highest score they said was a 4.5 so I assumed it was out of 5... If it is out of 10 then all the interviewees did terribly lol. I think it is out of 5 though, at least for my course maybe.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

^ obviously this is for maths and from 2016, so things may be different. I believe a couple of pages down it says interview is graded from 1-9. However, being higher than other candidates is (very obviously) an advantage.

Hope that’s helpful in some way
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Well. I also eavesdropped and they said I had a 7 or 8?

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested in how they were deciding who to give offers to, they used a lot of statistics e.g their background (how poor they are, type of school etc)
    Also, they really cared about each interviewee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemon1806)
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

^ obviously this is for maths and from 2016, so things may be different. I believe a couple of pages down it says it is graded from 1-9. However, being higher than other candidates is (very obviously) an advantage.

Hope that’s helpful in some way
    I doubt its the same for my course because out of all the interviewees for that course in the college, nobody got past 4.5.. and they were talking a lot about one guy who did really well and he got a 4.5 so... idk
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

That sounds like the overall application score pre-interview, not the interview score. Oxford generally scores interviews from 1 to 9 (with 9 being the best).

Which course was this for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    That sounds like the overall application score pre-interview, not the interview score. Oxford generally scores interviews from 1 to 9 (with 9 being the best).

Which course was this for?
    Chemistry
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Chemistry
    The UCAS application is graded from 1 to 5
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...s_a_2?unfold=1
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    throwaway23234 Although according to this...
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...stry_admission
    ...at least one college scores 1-5 for Chemistry interviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mComingOxford)
    Well. I also eavesdropped and they said I had a 7 or 8?
    oh my god, is there a single forum where you're not being annoying

ReputationRep:

Pretty sure its out of 9 or 10...

ReputationRep:
    it may be they were having some bants about your appearance ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, do you know if there exists similar FOI requests for cambridge Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuneFreeze)
    Hi, do you know if there exists similar FOI requests for cambridge Maths?
    search whatdotheyknow.com ! they catalogue many FOI requests.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.