The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Ask a chemical engineering student - University of Bath

Hi everyone :smile:

My name is Leah and I am a second year chemical engineering student at Bath. I am currently enrolled on the MEng with placement year.

If you have any questions about chem eng at Bath please don't hesitate to ask!

Leah
2nd Year Chemical Engineering
Reply 1
Hello!

Do you enjoy it?
How often do you study?
How are the lectures?
How often do you do practical work?
Why did you choose Chemical Engineering?
Why did you choose Bath?
Are there many females taking CE?

Thank you!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by lolnim
Hello!

Do you enjoy it?
How often do you study?
How are the lectures?
Why did you choose Bath?

Thank you!

Hi - thanks for your questions! Glad to hear you're thinking of chemical engineering at Bath :smile:

Do you enjoy it?
Yes! The more I go through my degree, the more I enjoy it. 1st year felt a bit lacking - it was a lot of repetion to bring everyone up to the same level and because we were studying the fundementals, it was difficult at times to see how the knowledge would be applied. However, the more in depth I am able to study the concepts, the more my understanding grows and the more I see the application of my knowledge.

How often do you study?
That's a tricky one! It varies year to year 10/12 contact hours a week. It doesn't sound like much but you cover a lot in a 50 minute lecture and the content needs to be reviewed, understood and practiced outside of the lecture. We also have coursework and the amount has definitely increased this year compared to last year. I try to work full days Monday to Friday and do work on the weekend if I feel I need to and that I'm falling behind. I still have time to join in with sports clubs, societies and other social activites - do not worry about that! If you're prepared to be busy, you can really get a lot out of uni and still do well in your degree too.

How are the lectures?
The lectures are good. As you get in any uni, some are better than others. It is also a case of personal preference. Depending on the course content and the lecturer, the teaching style varies and it is individual opinion as to which lecturers you prefer. Overall I think I am taught well and have lots of resources provided to help me :smile:

In first and second year, I have 6 labs a year, ranging between 1-3 hours each. After the lab, we have to write a 6 page lab report within a week. In third year, there is a research project for the whole of the second semester. This could be lab based, computational based or a combination of the two. This a an opportunity to explore something in depth and see if researching may be something you'd like to do after graduation.

Good question! I always always loved maths and science at school. I knew that I wanted a career that involved using my science knowledge and I knew that a lot of pure science graduates didn't go into science careers when they graduated. I knew that there were lots of good job opportunities in engineering and I was encouraged a lot in secondary school to consider engineering as a future career. I really enjoyed my A level chemistry course and I love maths. I also have an interest in biology and biomedicine. Chemical engineering seemed like the perfect fit as it did not close any doors to all of my interests.

Why did you choose Bath?
I fell in love with the campus and the city when I came to an open day. I wanted a uni with a good reputation with a good chemical engineering department, which Bath has. The excellent placement and graduate job support was really appealing. I like the idea of a campus uni - having this little bubble full of students makes for an amazing atmosphere; it's such a community. The Student's Union is excellent with so many socieities and sports clubs to try out and get invovled with. I feel really lucky for all of the opportunities available to me at Bath. I'm also not a big city person so Bath is a perfect fit. It is so pretty and safe and a really lovely place to live. Whilst being small, there is plenty to do and I enjoy the nightlife. Bristol is also only 15 minutes away by train if you fancy a change of scene.

Of all of the engineering courses at Bath, I think that chemical engineering has the highest proportion of female students and the numbers increase every year. I have plenty of female chemical engineering friends and my course has a nice atmosphere about it as a result :smile: Bath also has a Women in Engineering society which is a very supportive community of female engineers. They host socials, presentations, networking events etc. which are always really inspiring. The fact that engineering is traditionally more male dominated is defintiely not something that should put you off!

I hope that was helpful - do let me know if you have anymore questions :smile:

Leah
2nd Year Chemical Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest