Predicted grades different this final exam results?

Watch
moon4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What happens if you have say a A* or A predicted grade in a qualification and when you do the actual exam and get the result you get a C, how do universities that may have offered you a unconditional or conditional offer view that? What happens?
shonalittle10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unconditional means you’re fine, conditional means you won’t get in i think.
moon4
Rep:
?
(Original post by shonalittle10)
Unconditional means you’re fine, conditional means you won’t get in i think.
Wow... can anyone confirm if you won’t get in to university if you have a conditional offer and don’t meet the predicted grade(s) for qualifications in your final exam results?
Daybd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Conditional offer = a condition for your admission (generally, some specific grade reuirements). So the uni would definitely look at your final grades.
Unconditional offer = no more conditions and you're guaranteed an admission. I doubt, however, that any unis would give u an unconditional offer before you get your final results
moon4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daybd)
Conditional offer = a condition for your admission (generally, some specific grade reuirements). So the uni would definitely look at your final grades.
Unconditional offer = no more conditions and you're guaranteed an admission. I doubt, however, that any unis would give u an unconditional offer before you get your final results
Then who gets an unconditional offer?
Vapormax
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey mate,

Your predicted grades are sent to the universities that you apply for. You will then receive either a conditional offer (e.g: must get AAB), an unconditional offer where no matter what you get if you make them your firm choice you can still go or no offer.

Say you get predicted A*AA, you may get an unconditional offer, but some universities who are maybe undersubscribed who offered you a conditional offer, may let you in with lower grades to make up the numbers.

Many of my friends applied to AAB courses but were still accepted despite getting BBB for example. But of course this depends on the course and the competition within it.
Vapormax
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by moon4)
Unconditional offers are made to those with high predicted grades and good personal statements who the university want there regardless of what grades they actually get.
shonalittle10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An unconditional would go to someone predicted a lot higher than the required... like being forecast AAA and requiring BCC you may get an unconditional.
moon4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vapormax)
Hey mate,

Your predicted grades are sent to the universities that you apply for. You will then receive either a conditional offer (e.g: must get AAB), an unconditional offer where no matter what you get if you make them your firm choice you can still go or no offer.

Say you get predicted A*AA, you may get an unconditional offer, but some universities who are maybe undersubscribed who offered you a conditional offer, may let you in with lower grades to make up the numbers.

Many of my friends applied to AAB courses but were still accepted despite getting BBB for example. But of course this depends on the course and the competition within it.
Hi, I’m not doing A levels so it’s a different situation but I did just read here (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38223432) that only 16% of students get the correct predicted grades and most people’s predicted grades for A Levels are higher than what their exam result is, so presumably then most people who apply to university with their high predicted grades get accepted regardless of the fact that they get lower final exam grades than their predicted grades?
Last edited by moon4; 1 year ago
Vapormax
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by moon4)
Hi, I’m not doing A levels so it’s a different situation but I did just read that most people’s predicted grades for A Levels are higher than what their exam result is, so presumably then most people who apply to university with their predicted grades get accepted regardless of the fact that they get lower final exam grades than their predicted grades?
As I said it's very uni and course dependent. The course I am on had no leniency at all as it was very competitive, so no one on the course got below 3 A grades or equivalent.

However, others are lenient as a result of what you said; a lot of people don't reach their predicted grades. Unconditional is still relatively rare but it is very subject/uni specific.
moon4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vapormax)
As I said it's very uni and course dependent. The course I am on had no leniency at all as it was very competitive, so no one on the course got below 3 A grades or equivalent.

However, others are lenient as a result of what you said; a lot of people don't reach their predicted grades. Unconditional is still relatively rare but it is very subject/uni specific.
Ok thanks for your help. What course are you doing at university?
Vapormax
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by moon4)
Ok thanks for your help. What course are you doing at university?
Economics
Daybd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by moon4)
The conditional offers are converted to unconditional offers after one has met the requirements of the uni. Getting an unconditional offer based on predicted grades is extremely rare, if not impossible. Furthermore, the well ranked unis generally don't send out unconditional offers based on predicted grades as far as I know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
17.19%
I'm not sure (5)
2.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (68)
35.42%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.56%
I'm not a current university student (83)
43.23%

Watched Threads