Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What happens if you have say a A* or A predicted grade in a qualification and when you do the actual exam and get the result you get a C, how do universities that may have offered you a unconditional or conditional offer view that? What happens?

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional means you’re fine, conditional means you won’t get in i think.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shonalittle10)
    Unconditional means you’re fine, conditional means you won’t get in i think.
    Wow... can anyone confirm if you won’t get in to university if you have a conditional offer and don’t meet the predicted grade(s) for qualifications in your final exam results?

ReputationRep:
    Conditional offer = a condition for your admission (generally, some specific grade reuirements). So the uni would definitely look at your final grades.
    Unconditional offer = no more conditions and you're guaranteed an admission. I doubt, however, that any unis would give u an unconditional offer before you get your final results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daybd)
    Conditional offer = a condition for your admission (generally, some specific grade reuirements). So the uni would definitely look at your final grades.
    Unconditional offer = no more conditions and you're guaranteed an admission. I doubt, however, that any unis would give u an unconditional offer before you get your final results
    Then who gets an unconditional offer?

ReputationRep:
    Hey mate,

Your predicted grades are sent to the universities that you apply for. You will then receive either a conditional offer (e.g: must get AAB), an unconditional offer where no matter what you get if you make them your firm choice you can still go or no offer.

Say you get predicted A*AA, you may get an unconditional offer, but some universities who are maybe undersubscribed who offered you a conditional offer, may let you in with lower grades to make up the numbers.

Many of my friends applied to AAB courses but were still accepted despite getting BBB for example. But of course this depends on the course and the competition within it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon4)
    Unconditional offers are made to those with high predicted grades and good personal statements who the university want there regardless of what grades they actually get.

ReputationRep:
    An unconditional would go to someone predicted a lot higher than the required... like being forecast AAA and requiring BCC you may get an unconditional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vapormax)
    Hey mate,

Your predicted grades are sent to the universities that you apply for. You will then receive either a conditional offer (e.g: must get AAB), an unconditional offer where no matter what you get if you make them your firm choice you can still go or no offer.

Say you get predicted A*AA, you may get an unconditional offer, but some universities who are maybe undersubscribed who offered you a conditional offer, may let you in with lower grades to make up the numbers.

Many of my friends applied to AAB courses but were still accepted despite getting BBB for example. But of course this depends on the course and the competition within it.
    Hi, I’m not doing A levels so it’s a different situation but I did just read here (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38223432) that only 16% of students get the correct predicted grades and most people’s predicted grades for A Levels are higher than what their exam result is, so presumably then most people who apply to university with their high predicted grades get accepted regardless of the fact that they get lower final exam grades than their predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon4)
    Hi, I’m not doing A levels so it’s a different situation but I did just read that most people’s predicted grades for A Levels are higher than what their exam result is, so presumably then most people who apply to university with their predicted grades get accepted regardless of the fact that they get lower final exam grades than their predicted grades?
    As I said it's very uni and course dependent. The course I am on had no leniency at all as it was very competitive, so no one on the course got below 3 A grades or equivalent.

However, others are lenient as a result of what you said; a lot of people don't reach their predicted grades. Unconditional is still relatively rare but it is very subject/uni specific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vapormax)
    As I said it's very uni and course dependent. The course I am on had no leniency at all as it was very competitive, so no one on the course got below 3 A grades or equivalent.

However, others are lenient as a result of what you said; a lot of people don't reach their predicted grades. Unconditional is still relatively rare but it is very subject/uni specific.
    Ok thanks for your help. What course are you doing at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon4)
    Ok thanks for your help. What course are you doing at university?
    Economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon4)
    The conditional offers are converted to unconditional offers after one has met the requirements of the uni. Getting an unconditional offer based on predicted grades is extremely rare, if not impossible. Furthermore, the well ranked unis generally don't send out unconditional offers based on predicted grades as far as I know

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.