The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

UAL Chelsea School of Art interview

So I applied for the BA Hons fine art at Chelsea and I haven’t even done a foundation diploma, so I expected rejection. However I was surprised to find they offered me an interview today in February, so I was wondering if anyone has been to interviews at UAL/Chelsea and could give any sort of advice on it?
I’m completely lost, even on what to bring for my portfolio! Thanks
I'd suggest you compile a professional standard portfolio with process work and final pieces inside. They should be clean and easy to understand, and show a range of skills. For example good quality sketches, experimental pieces with different mediums etc. Find a formate that's most appropriate to you which could range from A1-A3 but for fine art i'd suggest A1-2.

All the best
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Original post by Xmimix
So I applied for the BA Hons fine art at Chelsea and I haven’t even done a foundation diploma, so I expected rejection. However I was surprised to find they offered me an interview today in February, so I was wondering if anyone has been to interviews at UAL/Chelsea and could give any sort of advice on it?
I’m completely lost, even on what to bring for my portfolio! Thanks

Hi there !

Some portfolio advice I’d like to give you is to firstly make your portfolio either A1 or A2 size . For applying onto the foundation course A1 is the better option out of the two and for applying onto the BA (Undergraduate ) level A2 is favourable . You should include a variety of artworks in your portfolio which show off your skill set and the different ways you can work in . Include some small work , some larger scale work , some flat work and some more 3D work , a variety of textures etc. Variety is key !

Include pieces of that reflect the design story/ process of your work . Your portfolio should tell a story , this is the story your interviewer will try to have you tell . They might ask you questions regarding why you made certain decisions over others , and how you developed your works from start to finish . They could also ask you why you applied to to study at Chelsea as a pose to CSM for example ? The questions could also be more general and personal , in terms of hobbies or passions outside of art for example . All the interviewer wants to do is basically have a chat with you about your work and yourself in general. If you think of your interview as a ‘chat’ you should feel a lot less nervous !

Just relax, speak confidently of your work and be yourself ! You should do fine . Wishing you the absolute best of luck!

Use your best pieces of work ! Quality over quantity.

https://www.arts.ac.uk

Hope that was helpful !
Thanks
Memunatu
Reply 3
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hi there !

Some portfolio advice I’d like to give you is to firstly make your portfolio either A1 or A2 size . For applying onto the foundation course A1 is the better option out of the two and for applying onto the BA (Undergraduate ) level A2 is favourable . You should include a variety of artworks in your portfolio which show off your skill set and the different ways you can work in . Include some small work , some larger scale work , some flat work and some more 3D work , a variety of textures etc. Variety is key !

Include pieces of that reflect the design story/ process of your work . Your portfolio should tell a story , this is the story your interviewer will try to have you tell . They might ask you questions regarding why you made certain decisions over others , and how you developed your works from start to finish . They could also ask you why you applied to to study at Chelsea as a pose to CSM for example ? The questions could also be more general and personal , in terms of hobbies or passions outside of art for example . All the interviewer wants to do is basically have a chat with you about your work and yourself in general. If you think of your interview as a ‘chat’ you should feel a lot less nervous !

Just relax, speak confidently of your work and be yourself ! You should do fine . Wishing you the absolute best of luck!

Use your best pieces of work ! Quality over quantity.

https://www.arts.ac.uk

Hope that was helpful !
Thanks
Memunatu

Ah, thank you so much for the details! I was so lost and confused about it all. Roughly how long would the interview last?
Original post by Xmimix
Ah, thank you so much for the details! I was so lost and confused about it all. Roughly how long would the interview last?

Hey !

Your welcome , I’m glad to help out . From what I remember my interview was about 10 minutes long . So I’d say between 10 - 15 minutes long .

Good luck!
Thanks
Memunatu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending